The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

From Oxford Geography website:

"Candidates who have achieved or are predicted grades lower than the standard offer will not normally be invited for interview. Otherwise, the decision to invite candidates for interview will be based on achievement in the TSA and, where available, contextualised GCSE data."
Original post by ForeignStudent32
There is a huge difference between AAA and A*AA?

There certainly is between ABD and AAAA, which a lot of applicants will have.
Original post by drumsticks
There certainly is between ABD and AAAA, which a lot of applicants will have.

It depends on the subject I think, and also AS grades aren't the be all and end all. Had a friend last year accepted for PPE with AABC at AS so you never know!
Reply 6403
Original post by not you
The thing is, there are lots of applicants who are really good at speaking and writing personal statements but also have top grades, and I don't know where you've heard a good personal statement can make up for poor grades but it certainly isn't true for Oxbridge, especially given that some tutors don't even read them and only look at the quantitative facts instead of the subjective ps that probably wasn't 100% of the applicant's own work.

Oxford don't use grades just for shortlisting, especially when there's an admissions test and sometimes they will only use the admissions test results to shortlist. When they do the final holistic evaluation of the student, they look at the grades and a student with much worse grades than the rest of the cohort will be at a significant disadvantage in comparison, even with a great interview or personal statement.

Cambridge seems to be far more hung up on grades than Oxford. The interview is more significant at Oxford than Cambridge and grades more significant at Cambridge than Oxford. You can't usefully compare applicants with very different grades and equally good interviews and pre-test scores and then generalise; the picture will be far more mixed. It might well be the case than an 11A* applicant is peeved because he or she doesn't get an offer while someone with 5A* did - but that will be down to the pre-test and interview. That's an old complaint from rejected applicants with flawless grades.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by crastle
Hahahahahahahahahaahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aren't you the guy who wrote a book he never read into his PS?
Oh, hello everybody.

I am new here. I haven\t got my interview tho.
Original post by GeogersReprsent
It depends on the subject I think, and also AS grades aren't the be all and end all. Had a friend last year accepted for PPE with AABC at AS so you never know!

Sure, that's true, I'm just suggesting that people shouldn't assume Oxford are going to be so impressed with an interview and personal statement that they'll miraculously ignore below-than-average AS and predicted grades. Sad truth is, for every course, there is always gonna be someone with a better interview, personal statement, AS and predicted grades. Grades aren't everything, but you don't just put them on the UCAS form for a cheap laugh.
Original post by Irwin
Cambridge seems to be far more hung up on grades than Oxford. The interview is more significant at Oxford than Cambridge and grades more significant at Cambridge than Oxford. You can't usefully compare applicants with very different grades and equally good interviews and pre-test scores and then generalise; the picture will be far more mixed. It might well be the case than an 11A* applicant is peeved because he or she doesn't get an offer while someone with 5A* did - but that will be down to the pre-test and interview. That's an old complaint from rejected applicants with flawless grades.

I'm not talking about 11A* vs 5A* though, since that can often be attributed to the school or the student not knowing how important GCSEs were, I'm referring to predicted grades of A*AA vs ABB, where there is a significant difference between each grade and shows a much bigger issue than not getting straight A*s. I agree that you can't really say someone with 5A*s is much worse than someone with 11A*s though.
Original post by FutureOxford3

Lol,dat shot
And I don't really care where I go as long as it is highly ranked ...

Cough cough there is something called yield rate cough

I meant using Oxford as a back up :P

Are you stupid and not capable of thinking?

**** off. Nobody needs your arrogant, assertive, pretentious ass here.
Original post by FutureOxford3

So many people do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by walrustrainer
**** off. Nobody needs your arrogant, assertive, pretentious ass here.

Calm down. .... He was referring to someone else who was using oxford as aback up. What is wrong with going to. Highly ranked university when one is capable of doing so
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by crastle
So many people do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I was joking. The shot just seemed to good to not to take it
Guys calm down yeah? Lets all take a chill pill for a sec!!
full on laughed at this I don't know if you're joking or not :')
Is anyone applying for Philosophy and Modern Languages? (I've applied for Philosophy and Beginner's Modern Greek at St. Annes). Has anyone had an invite for any subject that you had to take an MLAT for? Thank you xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hello278910
Hi

Any other Geography applicants?
Xxx

ME~~~ Get allocated to Christ Church (I did open application) hope they can tell us sooner so that I can buy tickets cheaper if available...
Original post by MouseyBrown
In the nicest possible way, with all due respect, are you for real?

Firstly, you said your A2 predictions did not meet the minimum requirements. You are right, AS levels are not so important, but it would be naive to say that your predictions aren't.

Anyway, Oxford Brookes giving you an offer is totally irrelevant to your application to Oxford. They are different universities. It's like saying that Cambridge should give you an offer because Loughborough did.

Anglia ruskin, its the oxford brookes of Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing noone's heard anything from History yet?
Original post by Hello278910
You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge, your comment is irrelevant.

You can, Organ Scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending