The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hmm managed to get an interview for Tuesday for a TA maternity cover to last til the end of the year! Would be perfect.. 30 minutes activity to plan for though :s-smilie:

Too much on my plate!!
Ok so just recieved an email for one of my options, I swear it is one of the most concerning emails I have received and one of the most gutting.

Here is the meat of it. So they have mentioned that after much deliberation and consideration they have declined to interview me for the application. Ok so I thought ok must be related to experience or subject.

Nope the complete unpredictable reason, "They feel it would be unfair to take on a trainee without the necessary support in place to help you flourish as a teacher".

So after all of the waiting this is what I get from this option, now I cannot blame them, if any of you have been paying attention to the news or even the TES magazine, the government will be releasing its autumn statement this wednesday and it has been commented that education funding is getting cut once again making schools and those running school direct programmes lives harder to provide not for the school and its students but also to train new teachers.

This is even more concerning because of the current issue with recruitment and retention of teachers, I feel we are on the verge of an education recession and this wednesdays budget will determine how bad it will become.

But hey thats my two cents, still waiting for my interview next tuesday and for one of my other options which I found out yesterday are shortlisting applications this week so should hear back by no later than Friday evening or Monday.
Original post by *tango*
Thank you!
I'm in trouble though. I volunteer in a different school and they expect me to want to train with them, but I really like the school that has interviewed me today. So now I'm not sure what I'm going to do ...

I am in the same boat - my university told me schools can be quite selfish and won't necessarily be thinking about what is best for you.
When you volunteered, (i hope) there was not a condition that you had to train with them. You can always tell them, after you have trained, you may consider returning.
My school went so far as to actually offer me a school direct this year!( I am in my third year of uni!!)

Don't feel pressured, and do what is best for you!
Original post by *tango*
I've done all the sample literacy tests and my punctuation is always 13 out of 15 marks. I have no idea where I keep making mistakes as the website doesn't show the correct answer.

I found this to be the most annoying part about that section, if they showed you a correct punctuation passage after it'd make it so much easier to see what we are missing out! I thankfully have passed my Literacy test, but I did feel your pain for ages.
Original post by *tango*
I've done all the sample literacy tests and my punctuation is always 13 out of 15 marks. I have no idea where I keep making mistakes as the website doesn't show the correct answer.

It's bloody annoying! What's the point of a practice test if you can't see where you're going right/wrong? I also struggle to find 15 changes and usually can only see around 12/13
Good luck/congratulations on everyone getting interviews and offers! :smile:
Original post by kizzz!
It's bloody annoying! What's the point of a practice test if you can't see where you're going right/wrong? I also struggle to find 15 changes and usually can only see around 12/13

You can see the correct answers while you are doing the test if you enable 'Help' button before starting your test.
Original post by gentlegiant
Ok so just recieved an email for one of my options, I swear it is one of the most concerning emails I have received and one of the most gutting.

Here is the meat of it. So they have mentioned that after much deliberation and consideration they have declined to interview me for the application. Ok so I thought ok must be related to experience or subject.

Nope the complete unpredictable reason, "They feel it would be unfair to take on a trainee without the necessary support in place to help you flourish as a teacher".

So after all of the waiting this is what I get from this option, now I cannot blame them, if any of you have been paying attention to the news or even the TES magazine, the government will be releasing its autumn statement this wednesday and it has been commented that education funding is getting cut once again making schools and those running school direct programmes lives harder to provide not for the school and its students but also to train new teachers.

This is even more concerning because of the current issue with recruitment and retention of teachers, I feel we are on the verge of an education recession and this wednesdays budget will determine how bad it will become.

But hey thats my two cents, still waiting for my interview next tuesday and for one of my other options which I found out yesterday are shortlisting applications this week so should hear back by no later than Friday evening or Monday.

This is scary :frown:...I haven't received any interview invitation till now.

Which subject are you applying to?
Secondary Computer Science/Computing
Been waiting a week for a reply off my school direct choice and I just want to know, every time I get an email I'm like AHHHHHohnope
A week probably isn't long but the university choices got back so quickly
Original post by BelleCL
Been waiting a week for a reply off my school direct choice and I just want to know, every time I get an email I'm like AHHHHHohnope
A week probably isn't long but the university choices got back so quickly

school direct programmes usually recieve alot of applications and have smaller teams than university's.

so usually to deal with this some providers have to set aside a day to shortlist applications.

my third option is like this I applied 2 weeks ago and heard nothing from them so I contacted them and they told me they were doing the short listing this week. So fingers crossed I should here something later this week or early next week.

remember above all though providers have 40 days to respond to your application, so for me I have to wait until middle of january before I can write my options off.
IOE interview over!!!! Think it went really well but time will tell haha
Original post by ChancedTravels

Congrats and good luck, secondary or primary?

I'm putting together a load of material I need for my 30 minute teach for next tuesdays interview.
I've got a teething ten month old, selling and buying a house, night school and volunteering at a primary school one day a week but STILL I find myself constantly thinking about my application. I've been practicing my skills test for Saturday so hopefully I'll pass those as one thing down and then I have an interview Tuesday and on Wednesday ah all seems to be happening at once
Original post by ChancedTravels

Well done! Looking forward to hearing some good news from you soon! My interview with Ioe is on the 15th of Dec.
Original post by gentlegiant
Congrats and good luck, secondary or primary?

I'm putting together a load of material I need for my 30 minute teach for next tuesdays interview.

Primary, so I had a presentation rather than a 'teach'. Good luck and enjoy it!
Original post by daisyhuang1230
Well done! Looking forward to hearing some good news from you soon! My interview with Ioe is on the 15th of Dec.

Crossing my fingers for us both!!! Good luck - it was actually a really enjoyable day so just relax. It was all quite informal and the staff are absolutely lovely :smile:
Anyone in this thread is an international applicant like me?
Original post by rede121
I am in the same boat - my university told me schools can be quite selfish and won't necessarily be thinking about what is best for you.
When you volunteered, (i hope) there was not a condition that you had to train with them. You can always tell them, after you have trained, you may consider returning.
My school went so far as to actually offer me a school direct this year!( I am in my third year of uni!!)

Don't feel pressured, and do what is best for you!

Thank you. No, there was no condition. I have thought about this scenario for quite a while and have even written a pros/cons list. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a choice :smile:

So they wanted to take you without a degree? Interesting ...
Original post by Niyo123
You can see the correct answers while you are doing the test if you enable 'Help' button before starting your test.

Aaaah, completely forgot about the help button. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending