The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Anyone else received an offer like this?

So I applied for English and History at Sussex, believing that an offer would ask for AAA-AAB as stated on the website. I received an offer yesterday (yay!) asking for AAA, including an A in English Lit. However, it also stated that if I make Sussex my firm, the offer goes down to ABB (the A in English Lit still a requirement).

I was just wondering if anybody else had received a similar offer - it seems strange that they'll allow you to go down a grade in 2 subjects. I hadn't heard of Sussex doing this before I received the offer e-mail, so might they have made an exception for me or is this more common than I thought?
Original post by folieadeux
So I applied for English and History at Sussex, believing that an offer would ask for AAA-AAB as stated on the website. I received an offer yesterday (yay!) asking for AAA, including an A in English Lit. However, it also stated that if I make Sussex my firm, the offer goes down to ABB (the A in English Lit still a requirement).

I was just wondering if anybody else had received a similar offer - it seems strange that they'll allow you to go down a grade in 2 subjects. I hadn't heard of Sussex doing this before I received the offer e-mail, so might they have made an exception for me or is this more common than I thought?

I don't think this is uncommon, I know of quite a few friends having offers like this - one of my friend's even got an offer of AAB and they said they'd make it unconditional if she puts it as her firm!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
I got the same. I applied for Psychology with Neuroscience and my offer is ABB if i firm, AAB otherwise. Maybe its a Combined Degree thing??
Or maybe they just want you on their course.
Reply 4
It can be a contextual offer. Or may I ask what you achieved at AS and what you're predicted? In case that had any effect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really the same thing but I know someone who got an offer to study chemistry at QMUL for ABB. They got BCD on results day and they were still given a place. Guess it shows uni's are really flexible with grades, so there must be other factors involved with giving out offers that we can't see, like how many spaces there are each year.
(edited 8 years ago)
This 'Unconditional if you go Firm' or 'Lower offer if you go Firm' is increasingly common from middle-ranking Unis who want to encourage A grade applicants to go Firm, and not Insurance, with them.

Make sure you read this article from TSR about Firm & insuarance choices before you make a decision : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by halfhearted
I don't think this is uncommon, I know of quite a few friends having offers like this - one of my friend's even got an offer of AAB and they said they'd make it unconditional if she puts it as her firm!

hope you dont mind me asking but whats a firm offer?
Original post by u97
hope you dont mind me asking but whats a firm offer?

Its the next stage in the application process, where you choose from your offers.

Read this : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices
Reply 9
Original post by pannyfrost
It can be a contextual offer. Or may I ask what you achieved at AS and what you're predicted? In case that had any effect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got BBC at AS (the C was 2 UMS off a B, but I guess that's irrelevant). My A2 predicted grades are AAB.
I got similar-
ABB or BBB if firm :smile:
I applied for a law llb which is AAA-AAB and my offer was ABB and BBB if I made Sussex my firm, so I'm guessing it's a common thing they do
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending