The Student Room Group

What did people get in gcse mocks compared to real exams?

Scroll to see replies

I got a B- in my mock but an A in the real exam:smile:
Original post by OliviaJH
Thankyou so much for replying! thats soo helpful and well done for such amazing grades! :smile:

You're welcome and I'm glad my advice could be of some use. Thanks and good luck for your GCSEs and A-levels, if you decide to do them. If you need any help anytime, let me know. :smile:
OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high :frown:

was in a similar position to u a year ago trust me like my mocks went bad 3 times round as in jan mocks 5months b4 exams i passed 4 subjects getting A* in maths AB in science and A in ict failing economics french english stats and i was tottally gutted and my teachers and parents made me feel useless and like dirt and for a week or so i was beating myself up but then i realised i have 4 months to change my future and i got my head down as not to be arrogant but i knew i was smart enough to get As and Bs across the board so i put away my xbox and done 3 hours revision each day 2 on saturday and 4 on sunday and worked extremely hard and my english teacher wanted me to do foundation same with french and i was predicted A* kmaths A ict double science B eco CD english lit lang D in french B in stats and i was determined to prove them wrong as ik i was lazy and didnt work for mocks as i was too arrogant and used my natural intelligence but then i came out with 5A*s and 3As and a B which i was absolutey over the moon i was crying so much in happiness and realised my hardwork paid off
now im crying in tears because a level chemistry and further maths are too much
but hey if u need help on gcse revision advice or any tips i can give u as i got loads before exams and used them and some changed my grades drastically feel free to inbox me
mocks 5A*s 4 As 1B
real all A*'s
work hard now, it will make your life a lot easier:smile:
also you won't become complacent at AS:smile:
hope this helps
Original post by pinkfloydfan
Mocks don't reveal weaknesses; they reveal gaps in your knowledge. There'll be plenty of time to find your weaknesses in the 2 years after the GCSEs.

boo hoo, that is just being picky with the words I used:tongue:
Mocks: 2 A* 8 A 1 B and a D in History, lol

Actual : 12A* 1 A
OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high :frown:

Omg i haven't even done my mocks yet. the results come out in January but for the real exams i know im just gonna get A's and A*'s becuase realisticly i have like 5 months to revise. so its all cool. dont let the MOCK results bring you down!!!

Good luck

I went from a d to an a in history, and went up in all my subjects. Key reason was past papers, I did all the past papers possible for chemistry to boost my science. Do past papers, and then the exam is just like another, it's like doing 15 speeches to a medium audience before doing the same speech to a large one (not that hard! :biggrin:)
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
I couldn't agree more!!!! I thought I was working consistently throughout the year, and I was aiming for straight As across my AS, but I still ended up with crap grades. A year worth's off work wasted in a few hours of exam time:frown:

I'm so sorry to hear that, its sucks that A Levels work that way. It really is a matter of luck.
Original post by karishmaxo
I'm so sorry to hear that, its sucks that A Levels work that way. It really is a matter of luck.

Yeah you build all year to these exams, and then one misreading of a question in the exam hall drops you down a grade or two.

A-levels just test your ability to pass exams in the real thing, and don't always respect the fact you have put in a year's worth of work in.:frown:
Mocks: 2A* 4A 4B
Actual: 5A* 5A

My top tip would be to find a prime time for revision in which you retain the most information. For me, it's in the mornings before school whilst eating breakfast, for 20 minutes or so. My revision is useless in the evenings because I'm so tired that I can't remember anything! But it differs for everyone, so I'd say to revise whenever you know that it's the most effective for you.
In my mocks I got 9A*s and 2A's. I then got 11 A*s in my real GCSEs.

If you work hard for your mocks, then your real exams will feel easier. The key is to do lots of past papers between now and the real thing, and ask your teachers to mark them!
Mocks///Real Exam:
English Lang: D///C
English Lit: E///A
Maths: C///B
Biology: C///A
Chemistry: C///C
Physics: D///B
French: A*///A*
History: F///C
Food Tech: G///C
I haven't revised for ANY of my mocks EVER, so here's a good example of how important revision is, kids ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
MY GCSE STORY
I did some revision for my mocks. I was worried about them but I felt that it wasn't the end of the world because I knew I would revise properly for the actual exams. Also for the mocks the only reason why I did alright was purely because I found the papers I was doing online - so I essentially cheated.I generally got B's and C's and one A (for RE)

I was predicted to get B's in all my 13 GCSE's apart from german which was an A. Last weeks at school I was told by my music teacher that if I got at least a D in my listening paper I could get a C (despite my predicted grade).

The actual exams came around. I had done a bit more than I had done for the mocks. But my History (Medicine etc) all I had done was read the text book and went on revise GCSE History website and that was about it.

My GCSE results were:
History = A*
English Language = A
English Literature = A
ICT = A
Science (core) = A
Science (additional) = A
Spanish = A
RE = A
Maths = B
German = B
Dance = B
PE = B
Music = B
In other words mocks are a waste of time (as well as predicted grades) so don't let them get you down
Mocks:
Maths: A*
Statistics: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
English lit: A
English Language: A*
Geography: A*
ICT: A
Business studies: A
German: C
Real Exams:
Maths: A*
Statistics: A
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
Geography: A*
ICT: A*
English language: A
English lit: A
German: B
Business studies: B

I did revise a bit for both, but quite frankly I didn't do too much for the actual exams way beforehand, it was mainly cramming the night before :tongue:
can someone please send me the Spanish gcse unofficial mark scheme for 2015 wjec
Mocks: mostly A's and B's (i think maybe one A*?)
Real Exams: 8 A*'s 3 A's

I found mocks wayyy harder than the real exams which may have just been the way our school worked but really you have loads of time to revise, I barely revised for the mocks but for the exams I did tons of past papers and stuff so just revise like crazy for the real exams.
Mock -- Subjects -- Actual grade
C -- English language -- C
B -- Maths -- A
A -- Science Add -- A
B -- Geography -- A
D -- Health & Social care -- C
C -- Product Design -- D

These are my results and mocks from this past academic year, when I was in year 11, as you can see they are pretty bad... I would strongly suggest ignore your mock grades and start revising for the actual ones now... Good luck
Mocks - actual IGCSEs:

Maths B - A, A, A - A*
Further Pure Maths - C, A, A - A*
Physics - B, A, A - A*
Chemistry - B, A, A - A
Biology - C, C, C - A*
Economics - B, B, B - A
Bengali - C, B, C - A*
English Language B - B, C, C - C

My actual grades were significantly better but our school did put us under a lot of stress during mocks. Our biology teacher was also really stingy with marks. Also, they don't award A*s in school mocks.
Mocks-
Biology A - got A*
Chemistry A* - got A*
Physics A* - got A*
Maths (didn't do a mock) - got A*
French A - got B
English lit (didn't do a mock) - got A
English language A - got A
Graphic products A* - got A*
Art (you can't really do a mock haha) - got A*
Statistics A - got A

Overall, I got 3A*s 4As in my mocks and those became 4A*s 2As and 1B in my real exams
I only improved in one subject and somehow got worse in another :rolleyes:
Unless you really do try, mocks don't indicate what you'll actually get

Quick Reply