The Student Room Group

Applying to UWC through UWCGB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cornflakeexpert
I'm not OP but I really really like the idea of card memorisation! Fun and you can get others to join in:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could also make a brilliant pun about it "holding a good memory" but I'm just worried that it isn't a serious enough topic , but I also talked a lot about my trip to Ghana on my application so don't know whether I should keep going on about that?

UUuguhghg I'm really torn right now!
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
I could also make a brilliant pun about it "holding a good memory" but I'm just worried that it isn't a serious enough topic , but I also talked a lot about my trip to Ghana on my application so don't know whether I should keep going on about that?

UUuguhghg I'm really torn right now!

Imo do something fun! Talk about the serious stuff in the interview and save the banter for the other applicants :smile: whatever you do , I'm sure it will be amazing, you really seem to know your stuff:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imo do something fun! Talk about the serious stuff in the interview and save the banter for the other applicants :smile: whatever you do , I'm sure it will be amazing, you really seem to know your stuff:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks I think I'm gonna go with the memorising thing! It'll be "megabantz" as the english would say. Plus it'll give me an opportunity to show some class stand up comedy skills... I just hope they think I'm taking it seriously!!
I'm intrigued as to what this girl brought in as her object.. A turtle ? environmental waste?

She brought in a picture of her with a massive turtle.

Would you advise me not talking about my volunteer trip to Africa as my presentation , as I might end up sounding like I'm trying to brag or sound impressive. I get sarcastic when i'm nervous and I sound cocky when sarcastic and I really don't want to come across like that.. Would it be best to steer clear of something like that? Or should i focus on something else like maybe teaching everyone how to memorise a pack of cards or something like that. Aaaah I'm over thinking everything now!!!

Don't over think it!!!! If you genuinely found it to be an inspiring trip, that you'll always remember and it has changed your mindset in somw way or another, go for it! When I say, 'sound impressive' I mean people who overexaggerate on their efforts, and they try to paint this picture of themselves as the major victor, rather than reflecting on the experience that they had.

Well, the pack of cards could be a nice finishing touch! If at the end of the presentation, you still have some time, it'd be good demonstrate it/get people involved. But, it depends how you shape the presentation, if it's an engaging one I don't see why people wouldn't want to get involved in your card memorising activity.

I'm thinking of talking about body image and why it's really important for young people to look after their bodies. It's from a really personal point of view as I and several friends have had problems with disordered eating, so I think I could talk passionately about it. Do you think that's a good idea? I can't really think of much else :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really good! There's so much material there that you could expand about, and it being really personal is only ever a plus. I'd genuinely want to hear what you have to say about it as it seems to be a common issue amongst young people these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I second this, if you can be passionate whilst getting others involved, it'll be awesome.

But, it all depends on how strongly you feel about your trip to Ghana.
I know I said I would do anything volunteery, but I changed my mind after being inspired at ambulance cadets half and hour ago. I'm now thinking that I could do a presentation on how important it is for everyone to be taught life skills in school such as first aid (bc the English education system is hella flawed), and since I'm an ambulance cadet I would do a little demonstration on how to put someone in the recovery position (but I'm just wondering what I'd do if no one volunteered to be my casualty for it 😂)
thanks I think I'm gonna go with the memorising thing! It'll be "megabantz" as the english would say. Plus it'll give me an opportunity to show some class stand up comedy skills... I just hope they think I'm taking it seriously!!

Who doesn't love a bit of playing card banter😂 I think you got a good thing going there bc you could really help the other candidates to relax and calm their nerves by laughing and engaging with you + it'll show that you'll have something to contribute to the other students WHEN you get offered a full-ride to a UWC, which they really care about because it was in question 5 haha☺
Original post by swissor
I know I said I would do anything volunteery, but I changed my mind after being inspired at ambulance cadets half and hour ago. I'm now thinking that I could do a presentation on how important it is for everyone to be taught life skills in school such as first aid (bc the English education system is hella flawed), and since I'm an ambulance cadet I would do a little demonstration on how to put someone in the recovery position (but I'm just wondering what I'd do if no one volunteered to be my casualty for it 😂)

That's a really cool idea ! If no one volunteers you should bring a dummy as your object just in case and just walk into the dining hall when you get to the assessment day with a full sized dummy hanging on your shoulder just like "sup guys?"
That's a really cool idea ! If no one volunteers you should bring a dummy as your object just in case and just walk into the dining hall when you get to the assessment day with a full sized dummy hanging on your shoulder just like "sup guys?"

Hahahaha, that's definitely a plan😁
I have no idea what to do my talk on as all yours sound really impressive!
Original post by Daniellaowen
I have no idea what to do my talk on as all yours sound really impressive!

Thing is , we've got three interviews , a problem solving thing and asking people questions as well as the presentation so even though the presentation is important I think the interviews are probably more so ? But I'm still struggling to think of a specific topic!
Thing is , we've got three interviews , a problem solving thing and asking people questions as well as the presentation so even though the presentation is important I think the interviews are probably more so ? But I'm still struggling to think of a specific topic!

I think the interviews will be easier. I dont want to talk about my volunteer work because like other people have said its all over my application and thats what my interviews will be on.
I could do it on anything really but it should be personal to me. Ive just done an english presentation on prostitution but i feel like they are looking for something completerly different. This is so hard!
Original post by Daniellaowen
I think the interviews will be easier. I dont want to talk about my volunteer work because like other people have said its all over my application and thats what my interviews will be on.
I could do it on anything really but it should be personal to me. Ive just done an english presentation on prostitution but i feel like they are looking for something completerly different. This is so hard!

I know right, I'm really struggling to think of something too
Has anybody though of how they're going to answer what role they play in the UWC movement and what it means to them? I'm trying to think of how to word my strong feelings without sounding like a cheesy blubbering imbecile !
Has anybody though of how they're going to answer what role they play in the UWC movement and what it means to them? I'm trying to think of how to word my strong feelings without sounding like a cheesy blubbering imbecile !

I'm thinking of focusing on my career aspirations and the sort of change I want to make in the world, and then talk about how my current school wouldn't prepare me for that anyday soon bc the focus is only on academics. So basically I'm ready to explore beyond the limits that have been put on my educational experience and also learn how to live peacefully with people so different from me.
Original post by swissor
I'm thinking of focusing on my career aspirations and the sort of change I want to make in the world, and then talk about how my current school wouldn't prepare me for that anyday soon bc the focus is only on academics. So basically I'm ready to explore beyond the limits that have been put on my educational experience and also learn how to live peacefully with people so different from me.

Wow that's a good answer. Thing is my school isn't academically focused at all so I can't really say that. I'm thinking I'll say something about how every time I meet a campaigner or activist I seem to get more of a drive to want to do something and change something about that issue and putting me in school with two hundred people who are completely different to me yet somehow related to want to strive to make a better world in our different ways will push me further to do this. There's always been the idea that if "everybody does their bit of good" we'll be able to halt global warming and eradicate poverty and make everybody equal but the reality is that not everybody does do their bit. What I want out of a UWC experience is then to have that platform and ability to do everybody else's bit of good to even things out.

I reckon something like this is too cheesy but then i don't want to lie and come up with a different reason . I think I'll just stick with my genuine cheesiness i think!
Wow that's a good answer. Thing is my school isn't academically focused at all so I can't really say that. I'm thinking I'll say something about how every time I meet a campaigner or activist I seem to get more of a drive to want to do something and change something about that issue and putting me in school with two hundred people who are completely different to me yet somehow related to want to strive to make a better world in our different ways will push me further to do this. There's always been the idea that if "everybody does their bit of good" we'll be able to halt global warming and eradicate poverty and make everybody equal but the reality is that not everybody does do their bit. What I want out of a UWC experience is then to have that platform and ability to do everybody else's bit of good to even things out.

I reckon something like this is too cheesy but then i don't want to lie and come up with a different reason . I think I'll just stick with my genuine cheesiness i think!

Hahaha yeah, being your cheesy self should be enough😁 And one thing my parents were advising me when writing the application was not to sound like I was going to single handedly save humanity and instead find the balance between sounding ambitious yet remaining humble.

Ooh and I watched this really interesting video on YouTube where an architect or structural engineer of some sort was working in a community in Mozambique, helping the locals to build their own facilities from timber and make crafts from wood to sell as well, and then also replanting the trees to make up for the ones they had used and the ones large corporations had torn down without a second thought about the impact that would have. And his work sounded rly brilliant to me, but then he said something like "what I've done doesn't make me a hero, it's what others haven't given back that makes them shameful. The things I do are not extraordinary. They are human, and that is something many of us have lost touch with." So yeah what you said reminded me of that video. (I might just go and find it again)
Original post by swissor
Hahaha yeah, being your cheesy self should be enough😁 And one thing my parents were advising me when writing the application was not to sound like I was going to single handedly save humanity and instead find the balance between sounding ambitious yet remaining humble.

Ooh and I watched this really interesting video on YouTube where an architect or structural engineer of some sort was working in a community in Mozambique, helping the locals to build their own facilities from timber and make crafts from wood to sell as well, and then also replanting the trees to make up for the ones they had used and the ones large corporations had torn down without a second thought about the impact that would have. And his work sounded rly brilliant to me, but then he said something like "what I've done doesn't make me a hero, it's what others haven't given back that makes them shameful. The things I do are not extraordinary. They are human, and that is something many of us have lost touch with." So yeah what you said reminded me of that video. (I might just go and find it again)

Yeah I reckon realising that you're not exactly going to be able to solve all the world's problems is something they want you to recognise it as it's simply not plausible ! I just think finding the balance between being ambitious and realistic is really difficult and i think I went a bit too ambitious on my application form .. that sounds like a really cool video! Just think that this time next year you could be sharing a room with someone from Mozambique. ...
Yeah I reckon realising that you're not exactly going to be able to solve all the world's problems is something they want you to recognise it as it's simply not plausible ! I just think finding the balance between being ambitious and realistic is really difficult and i think I went a bit too ambitious on my application form .. that sounds like a really cool video! Just think that this time next year you could be sharing a room with someone from Mozambique. ...

I'm also really struggling to verbalise my feelings about UWC! Aagh:frown: o just don't really know how to explain how
I feel about it.
Also, does anyone want to add each other on Facebook for interview practice etc?
I'm also really struggling to verbalise my feelings about UWC! Aagh:frown: o just don't really know how to explain how
I feel about it.
Also, does anyone want to add each other on Facebook for interview practice etc?

We should make a facebook group!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending