The Student Room Group

Lemur's GYG Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
Glad you had a great day especially Biology. I had to stand outside in the cold for a good 20 mins as I watched the staff being so disorganised with the schedule for the mock exams. I was particularly furious with how they failed to notice History students needed paper for the sourced based question, it took the invigilators ages to go round with lined paper. Tomorrow I have B1 and C1 together in a 2hrs session probably without a break and I'm dreading to witness how disorganised they are, I wish I had a better HOY.

Our exams office are hopelessly disorganised, even in June. We had conflicting information, suspected incorrect exam papers, going back on what they said, exams delayed because they were disorganised, everything and this was only in the 2 days I had exams! We also had incorrect exam times on our exam timetable which confused everyone including the teacher and made some people turn up late. One of our exams started 40 minutes late! If it had been cold I probably would have failed the exam because I react really badly to being cold.
Good luck with your B1 and C1 tomorrow. I'm currently trying to write my C1 notes but keep being distracted. Gonna turn off my WiFi on my laptop once I've posted this to stop distracting me.
Reply 41
Original post by Lemur14
Our exams office are hopelessly disorganised, even in June. We had conflicting information, suspected incorrect exam papers, going back on what they said, exams delayed because they were disorganised, everything and this was only in the 2 days I had exams! We also had incorrect exam times on our exam timetable which confused everyone including the teacher and made some people turn up late. One of our exams started 40 minutes late! If it had been cold I probably would have failed the exam because I react really badly to being cold.
Good luck with your B1 and C1 tomorrow. I'm currently trying to write my C1 notes but keep being distracted. Gonna turn off my WiFi on my laptop once I've posted this to stop distracting me.

I'm glad my school isn't the only one but I will forward a compliant about them being disorganised via email once I finish my mock exams as what they were doing was inadequate. At least I didn't have an exam paper muck up and timetable however I did receive the new timetable relatively late. I'm dreading having to stand in the cold as I'll be get hypothermia (exaggeration) and it took them ages to sort their act out.

Thanks for wishing me luck with B1 and C1. B1 is giving me a bit of trouble for Evolution but I did the latest past paper for B1 and did well. I'll be doing C1 as well but I'll see how far I can get to as time is against me.
Original post by JTran38
I'm glad my school isn't the only one but I will forward a compliant about them being disorganised via email once I finish my mock exams as what they were doing was inadequate. At least I didn't have an exam paper muck up and timetable however I did receive the new timetable relatively late. I'm dreading having to stand in the cold as I'll be get hypothermia (exaggeration) and it took them ages to sort their act out.

Thanks for wishing me luck with B1 and C1. B1 is giving me a bit of trouble for Evolution but I did the latest past paper for B1 and did well. I'll be doing C1 as well but I'll see how far I can get to as time is against me.

The exam paper muck up wasn't me thankfully, it was the year 13s in the same exam hall but they had to run back to the exams office (in high heels lol) to check which is in the other building which took forever (and didn't help with nerves on the first proper exam).
We started evolution in catch-up last week, having not covered it last year and it did seem quite confusing but hopefully when I look at my notes to type them up at some point they'll make more sense. We're doing more evolution tomorrow after school as well so hopefully that will consolidate my knowledge.
Time is against me in all my exams. The English exam with 2 essays in the 1h45 is going to be a complete disaster to begin with as it takes me forever to think of any points, let alone write them down in some form of English. I write so slowly as well which doesn't help but if I try and write quickly my handwriting goes bad so it's a lose-lose for me :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Lemur14
The exam paper muck up wasn't me thankfully, it was the year 13s in the same exam hall but they had to run back to the exams office (in high heels lol) to check which is in the other building which took forever (and didn't help with nerves on the first proper exam).
We started evolution in catch-up last week, having not covered it last year and it did seem quite confusing but hopefully when I look at my notes to type them up at some point they'll make more sense. We're doing more evolution tomorrow after school as well so hopefully that will consolidate my knowledge.
Time is against me in all my exams. The English exam with 2 essays in the 1h45 is going to be a complete disaster to begin with as it takes me forever to think of any points, let alone write them down in some form of English. I write so slowly as well which doesn't help but if I try and write quickly my handwriting goes bad so it's a lose-lose for me :frown:

I hope I don't face the same disorganisation to getting us students in the exam hall (sports hall) again tomorrow as I'll be really annoyed. Time was against me for both English and History as I ran out of time to check my work so I'll be expecting a few marks to be lost in missing words and what not unless they give me the benefit of the doubt which is highly unlikely. I have done both the B1 and C1 past papers for 2014 which was alright but I'll revise on key topics/read on it before the exam.
Today I had double history, double business, maths and biology catch-up.
In history, we did our mock for one hour. It was ok and everyone had finished before the hour was up so we stopped a bit early. Everything was in there from section one apart from we should have had an 8 marker but didn't. If we get more than 1 grade lower than our target grade then we have to retake it so I need at least 20/27 to get a B as my target grade is an A. It's 22 for an A and 25 for an A* so I'm hoping for at least 22. For the second hour we were supposedly doing group work but the teacher chose the groups by basically putting us into friendship pairs and then pairing the pairs and I got put with 2 of the clever boys that like messing around (and calling you racist every time you speak to them) so when they got sent to do research in the office, they did nothing and me and my partner were left making it up.
In business, we did some recap, including some practice exam questions. We also got told that we have a compulsory speaker coming next week and I have to miss an hour of history :frown: We're going to have 3 hours of business on that day and I'm really not that enthusiastic about it so it'll be a long day. I'll also have the history to catch-up on and extra biology on that day so I'm going to have not much time to do any work. :frown:
In maths, we got our homework back and did normal distribution which was quite boring but could have been worse. In biology we did a recap on evolution and then went on to start cloning in plants and animals.

To do:
•Memorise task 8 for Computing (tomorrow but not urgent as will do evidencing next lesson)
•Complete all my science notes (when I have my books)
•Complete investments for business (before 4:30 every week day)
•Revise for 4.6 skills in ECDL(if time, Mon 30th)
•Complete my choreography (when I can as the director doesn't seem to know what he wants so might change his mind again about if I'm doing it)
•Revise for business test (Tues 1st Dec.)
•Revise for RE test (Thurs 3rd)
•Do my English stave 3 summary (Weds 2nd Dec)
•Complete my maths homework (Thurs 3rd)
•Complete the ask the speaker sheet for business (Tues 1st)
Reply 45
Original post by Lemur14
Today I had double history, double business, maths and biology catch-up.
In history, we did our mock for one hour. It was ok and everyone had finished before the hour was up so we stopped a bit early. Everything was in there from section one apart from we should have had an 8 marker but didn't. If we get more than 1 grade lower than our target grade then we have to retake it so I need at least 20/27 to get a B as my target grade is an A. It's 22 for an A and 25 for an A* so I'm hoping for at least 22. For the second hour we were supposedly doing group work but the teacher chose the groups by basically putting us into friendship pairs and then pairing the pairs and I got put with 2 of the clever boys that like messing around (and calling you racist every time you speak to them) so when they got sent to do research in the office, they did nothing and me and my partner were left making it up.
In business, we did some recap, including some practice exam questions. We also got told that we have a compulsory speaker coming next week and I have to miss an hour of history :frown: We're going to have 3 hours of business on that day and I'm really not that enthusiastic about it so it'll be a long day. I'll also have the history to catch-up on and extra biology on that day so I'm going to have not much time to do any work. :frown:
In maths, we got our homework back and did normal distribution which was quite boring but could have been worse. In biology we did a recap on evolution and then went on to start cloning in plants and animals.

To do:
•Memorise task 8 for Computing (tomorrow but not urgent as will do evidencing next lesson)
•Complete all my science notes (when I have my books)
•Complete investments for business (before 4:30 every week day)
•Revise for 4.6 skills in ECDL(if time, Mon 30th)
•Complete my choreography (when I can as the director doesn't seem to know what he wants so might change his mind again about if I'm doing it)
•Revise for business test (Tues 1st Dec.)
•Do my English stave 3 summary (Weds 2nd Dec)
•Complete my maths homework (Thurs 3rd)
•Complete the ask the speaker sheet for business (Tues 1st)

Glad to hear that your History mock exam was alright. My B1 and C1 was alright as well but if you read my GYG thread I've updated on it this afternoon. I'm feel for you about those clever boys mucking around, I usually call those group of people arrogant as they boast around about their academic progress though I do include those who are doing worse than me academically.

You'll manage with the heavy demands, I did have to manage with the mock exam demands such as this morning's B1 and C1 exam with no break, it was 2 hrs straight.
Original post by JTran38
Glad to hear that your History mock exam was alright. My B1 and C1 was alright as well but if you read my GYG thread I've updated on it this afternoon. I'm feel for you about those clever boys mucking around, I usually call those group of people arrogant as they boast around about their academic progress though I do include those who are doing worse than me academically.

You'll manage with the heavy demands, I did have to manage with the mock exam demands such as this morning's B1 and C1 exam with no break, it was 2 hrs straight.

With the boys, it's basically one following the other and the one being followed is keeping a grudge from year 8 (I did better in the maths test than him after he had bragged that he was going to get top in the class). They're just annoying rather than arrogant really but we've been 'at war' for several years, since he said he was better at maths than me (I was top of the year) and French (that's true lol I suck at it) and computing (well how come I'm further ahead in my CA than you) etc etc.

I'll manage the workload eventually, I just seem to manage to find 101 excuses why not to do my (particularly revision) work.
Reply 47
Original post by Lemur14
With the boys, it's basically one following the other and the one being followed is keeping a grudge from year 8 (I did better in the maths test than him after he had bragged that he was going to get top in the class). They're just annoying rather than arrogant really but we've been 'at war' for several years, since he said he was better at maths than me (I was top of the year) and French (that's true lol I suck at it) and computing (well how come I'm further ahead in my CA than you) etc etc.

I'll manage the workload eventually, I just seem to manage to find 101 excuses why not to do my (particularly revision) work.

Yeah you'll manage the workload eventually if you had 101 reasons of why you should do it :P In terms of competitiveness in exams, it always backfires somehow but I'm sure that overall in my mock exams so far I did quite well despite one of my mates going on about some nonsense with not revision leading to better grades - That is simply not true as there's many statistics proving that revision leads to better exam results. I think I got my revision techniques wrong back then.

Speaking of the computing controlled assessment, I'm still stuck on Q2 of OCR A452 on JavaScript with this annoying question on arrays and someone OCR expects me to link the buttons and the arrays to the making of the traffic light signal or something like that. I seriously wished I did the ECDL course/IT as it wouldn't be in this position right now having an awful HOD teaching me Computing.
GYG?
Original post by Vikingninja
GYG?

Grow your grades

Yesterday was ok.
I had double computing, chemistry, maths and pe. In computing I did my task 5 and half of task 6 evidencing and 2 more tests. I also helped the boy who is miles behind and making stupid noises to do task 2. We've got 6 more hours to finish this section so I need to get a move on if I'm to code task 8 and evidence 6.5-8 and test it for 2 more user needs. My program which was working before is now somehow not working with no changes to the code so I'm gonna have to sort that out as well.In chemistry we did reacting masses. Once we got it it was easy and we just did some examples and percentage yields on them. Unfortunately our books were collected in which is a pain as I was doing my chemistry notes this week :frown: In maths we were doing more about standardized scores. He deliberately gave us the hardest questions he could find but only one of them made any sense grammatically so we only actually did one question in the whole of the lessonlol. In Pe we were back in squash and we found out why the ball was so bad (it was a yellow dot ball and it wasn't warm) so we spent a fair amount of the lesson not doing anything again :smile: We also only had 3 rackets between 8 or so of us which made some of it tricky.
In the evening, I had my 2 drama groups. For one of them it was the last one this term :frown: which is a bit sad as some people were leaving and also some of the boys managed to create a really bad atmosphere by saying it was boring and one of the teachers started crying (which in turn meant that one of the senior teachers came in to have the 'I'm not happy with you' talk and then other (tbf stressed year 11s in mocks this week) started crying as well as what they'd said had been taken the wrong way.) In the other one, we spent the whole time singing so my voice is really sore now :frown:

Today we had enterprise day.
In the first half we were doing product creation and marketing and in the second half we were doing stock markets. The product creation and marketing was really boring particularly as it was a product I have no interest in and our groups were rubbish. In the stock marketing it was quite fun as we did a pretend buying and selling shares session but it was really annoying as at the end the one with the most assets was supposed to win but somehow the teacher messed up some of the adding up somewhere and we were supposed to come second top but he said we came second last and also the people who he said came top should have come bottom so they got the prize even though they shouldn't have :frown:

My to do list hasn't changed since last time so I'm not going to post it again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Lemur14
Grow your grades
Yesterday was ok.
I had double computing, chemistry, maths and pe. In computing I did my task 5 and half of task 6 evidencing and 2 more tests. I also helped the boy who is miles behind and making stupid noises to do task 2. We've got 6 more hours to finish this section so I need to get a move on if I'm to code task 8 and evidence 6.5-8 and test it for 2 more user needs. My program which was working before is now somehow not working with no changes to the code so I'm gonna have to sort that out as well.In chemistry we did reacting masses. Once we got it it was easy and we just did some examples and percentage yields on them. Unfortunately our books were collected in which is a pain as I was doing my chemistry notes this week :frown: In maths we were doing more about standardized scores. He deliberately gave us the hardest questions he could find but only one of them made any sense grammatically so we only actually did one question in the whole of the lessonlol. In Pe we were back in squash and we found out why the ball was so bad (it was a yellow dot ball and it wasn't warm) so we spent a fair amount of the lesson not doing anything again :smile: We also only had 3 rackets between 8 or so of us which made some of it tricky.
In the evening, I had my 2 drama groups. For one of them it was the last one this term :frown: which is a bit sad as some people were leaving and also some of the boys managed to create a really bad atmosphere by saying it was boring and one of the teachers started crying (which in turn meant that one of the senior teachers came in to have the 'I'm not happy with you' talk and then other (tbf stressed year 11s in mocks this week) started crying as well as what they'd said had been taken the wrong way.) In the other one, we spent the whole time singing so my voice is really sore now :frown:

Today we had enterprise day.
In the first half we were doing product creation and marketing and in the second half we were doing stock markets. The product creation and marketing was really boring particularly as it was a product I have no interest in and our groups were rubbish. In the stock marketing it was quite fun as we did a pretend buying and selling shares session but it was really annoying as at the end the one with the most assets was supposed to win but somehow the teacher messed up some of the adding up somewhere and we were supposed to come second top but he said we came second last and also the people who he said came top should have come bottom so they got the prize even though they shouldn't have :frown:

My to do list hasn't changed since last time so I'm not going to post it again.

Oh dear not a great day yesterday and today for you ... I got an interview tomorrow with this work experience workshop thing during my off timetable week.
Today was a complete waste of time!
Firstly, we had to go to a classroom with our form groups to be told all the information about the day. The teacher told us the wrong coach number (great start). Then it took us forever to get in the coaches as they had arrived in the wrong order and they accidently put the people for coach 1 in coach 3 (more drama- does it really matter which one we're on?) Then once we got there we had a talk about safety etc. We got told not to climb up the hill as it was slippery coming down (You can guess the first thing the boys in our form did). We also got told our cinema and lunch times and where they were. After that we were set to wonder around to fill in our booklets (with after school detentions threatened if we didn't) the only thing was our teacher had only given us one when we went to collect them so we had 7 or so people for one booklet. Only 3 of us actually went around together so the others get work credited to them that they didn't do which is a bit unfair. The whole thing was pretty much outside which was really cold and the 4D cinema was really bad and we also didn't learn anything so the whole thing was completely pointless and it would have been better to be in our lessons (I missed history :frown:)

This weekend I need to do all my homework, ideally complete my to do list, go shopping (my trainers are broken) and find my electronics homework that has totally disappeared.
Update:
I've found my electronics homework :smile: and having done rehearsals and dance this morning and shopping (for trainers tbf) this afternoon, I'm gonna do my homework, eat chocolate and watch the apprentice this afternoon/evening (as well as tidying if I have a chance).
(edited 8 years ago)
Today was quite good.
I had double computing, ecdl, chemistry and pe.
for double computing, we had a supply teacher for the first hour, then our normal teacher for the second hour. I managed to evidence all of task 6 and 7, as well as helping several others with their code as the teacher wasn't there to help and for some reason everyone seemed to be asking me. We've got 4 hours to complete this section so I'm going to code it next lesson and then evidence it the lesson after. In ecdl, we had a supply (were supposed to have the same teacher who was off in computing) who was really strict. She had the overview on the screen so she could check what everyone was on and stop anyone from doing anything else. She made us revise for the progress test which is stupid considering that not only was it our homework to revise but also they are common sense and not really revisable. Then we had to sit the test in silence (not even the real exam is completely silent) and work more than we've done in the last 2-3 lessons put together on things that we don't need to know(what she didn't realise is that the answers are on the student drive lol, not that I was on it, but a fair number of the class were). In chemistry we did percentage composition. Once we'd done 1 example it was really easy. We're going to have a test on what we've done this half term after Christmas, probably the second day back which I'll need to revise for. In PE, we had 3 options to pick between. My friends were all going for dodgeball so I picked that as well and it was really noisy as the teacher put the speaker on maximum and everyone was screaming when the ball got thrown lol. It was quite fun still, but I wish we were still doing fitness as they keep it quite warm and you actually get warm doing it as well.

To do list:

Revise for my business test tomorrow

Revise for RE test (Thurs 3rd)

Revise for ecdl (Thurs 10th - parents evening)

Revise for chemistry test (Weds 6th Jan???)

Memorise task 8 for computing (Weds 9th)

Complete my stave 3 summary (Weds 2nd)

Complete my maths paragraph (Weds 2nd)

Complete science notes (when possible)

Complete investments for business (weekdays 9-4:30)

Complete my choreography (when I can as the director doesn't seem to know what he wants so might change his mind again about if I'm doing it)

Today I was supposed to have double history, double business, English and biology catch-up but we had a business speaker in so we had history, triple business, English and biology catch-up.
The hour of history I got the teacher had marked our mocks (wow and she must have marked the year 11 ones first!) I got 19/27 which is a B3 but I'm quite disappointed as I thought it went much better and I also completely missed the main point in the source question which cost me 4 marks :frown:
The speaker was really boring (think 15 minutes to enter the room, 15 minutes speech then an organised Q & A session where all the answers were about Tesco)
Then we had our business test. I think it went quite well considering going into the test I thought I knew nothing like enough. In the second hour, we watched a documentary about amazon which we have to finish for homework.
In English, we read the entirety of stave 4 with our second teacher. We went through it so fast that we've barely got any analysis done though :frown:
In biology we did some recap and another type of cloning in animals. We've only got one session left:frown: which is going to be about genetic engineering.

To do list:
•Revise for ecdl (Thurs 10th - parents evening)
•Revise for chemistry test (Weds 6th Jan???)
•Memorise task 8 for computing (Weds 9th)
•Complete my stave 3 summary (DONE)
•Complete the history catch-up and homework sheet (either Fri 4th or Tues 8th- need to check)
•Watch the business video (DONE)
•Complete science notes (when possible)
•Complete investments for business (weekdays 9-4:30)
(edited 8 years ago)
Today wasn't great.
I had double electronics, English, physics and maths.
In electronics the teacher said we had this lesson to finish everything. After 2 hours (and him restarting 2 people's project which we've all spent about 5 hours on from scratch) then only 3 people had finished. I stayed in break and lunch and now I'm about 10 minutes from finishing part A. Part B he has said we can do next lesson so I'll do part A once my laptop has updated if I can get it to work on my computer. (just received the notification to restart :frown:)
In English we did a comprehension lesson comparing stave 4 to the other staves.
For physics, we did Hooke's law and elastic and plastic theories.
In maths we did Spearman's rank correlation coefficient. It was actually quite interesting and easy once we'd done an example so hopefully we're doing more tomorrow :smile:

To do:
•Revise for chemistry test (Weds 6th Jan???)
•Complete my electronics work if possible
•Complete the history catch-up and homework sheet (either Fri 4th or Tues 8th- need to check)
•Complete my English factfile (Thurs 10th)
(edited 8 years ago)
Apologies for lack of update since Wednesday.
On Thursday I had maths, physics, chemistry, RE and business. They were all ok including thankfully our RE test which I was a bit worried about after last time. We should be getting the results back on Monday :smile: We also got our business test results where I got 94.4% which is an A* :smile: Very happy with that.
On Friday I had biology, English, PE, maths and history.
In biology the teacher had moved classrooms so she put us in a seating plan which of course was met with immediate disapproval. Loads of people swapped seats as soon as she walked out the room to get some glue sticks. After that she came back in the room (and didn't notice the swapped seats lol) and balanced the box with all the experiment stuff on top of the gas taps (not a good idea). Then later she told someone to go spit their gum in the bin and as they walked past the box without touching it, it fell on the floor breaking all the slides we were meant to be using. The lab techs don't work on Fridays so we all got given textbooks after which the lesson went on as normal (doing very little as she didn't tell us what to do). In English we have finished stave 5! :smile: We're going to plan for our assessment on Thursday and write it on Friday then watch the Muppets Christmas Carol for the last 2 lessons of term. In Pe we did basketball as the dodgeballs were in the other building and the teacher wouldn't let us go and get them :frown: (I hate basketball). In maths we moved on from statistics and started doing probability (YAY tree diagrams :smile:) Finally in history, we did more revision notes. I'm not too far from catching up with where I should be now (hopefully) so should finish them at about the same time as everyone else :smile:

To do:
•Revise for chemistry test (Weds 6th Jan)
•Watch the video for maths and write about it (Weds 9th)
•Complete my business 6 mark question (Tues 8th)
Reply 57
Original post by Lemur14
Apologies for lack of update since Wednesday.
On Thursday I had maths, physics, chemistry, RE and business. They were all ok including thankfully our RE test which I was a bit worried about after last time. We should be getting the results back on Monday :smile: We also got our business test results where I got 94.4% which is an A* :smile: Very happy with that.
On Friday I had biology, English, PE, maths and history.
In biology the teacher had moved classrooms so she put us in a seating plan which of course was met with immediate disapproval. Loads of people swapped seats as soon as she walked out the room to get some glue sticks. After that she came back in the room (and didn't notice the swapped seats lol) and balanced the box with all the experiment stuff on top of the gas taps (not a good idea). Then later she told someone to go spit their gum in the bin and as they walked past the box without touching it, it fell on the floor breaking all the slides we were meant to be using. The lab techs don't work on Fridays so we all got given textbooks after which the lesson went on as normal (doing very little as she didn't tell us what to do). In English we have finished stave 5! :smile: We're going to plan for our assessment on Thursday and write it on Friday then watch the Muppets Christmas Carol for the last 2 lessons of term. In Pe we did basketball as the dodgeballs were in the other building and the teacher wouldn't let us go and get them :frown: (I hate basketball). In maths we moved on from statistics and started doing probability (YAY tree diagrams :smile:) Finally in history, we did more revision notes. I'm not too far from catching up with where I should be now (hopefully) so should finish them at about the same time as everyone else :smile:

To do:
•Revise for chemistry test (Weds 6th Jan)
•Watch the video for maths and write about it (Weds 9th)
•Complete my business 6 mark question (Tues 8th)

Wow you've caught up with me on A Christmas Carol, I'm also on Stave 5. :smile:
Original post by JTran38
Wow you've caught up with me on A Christmas Carol, I'm also on Stave 5. :smile:

yeah our second teacher read the entirety of stave 4 in 1 lesson (with no analysis :frown:)
Reply 59
Original post by Lemur14
yeah our second teacher read the entirety of stave 4 in 1 lesson (with no analysis :frown:)

Ouch! That's very bad, I would be made to underline key quotes and at least do a PEARS or just do quote and analysis on that specific stave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending