The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

is paper 3 getting done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by physicsmaths
is paper 3 getting done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At some point. I'll start now in fact...

Paper 3, Q5

Hint

Consider parity (even/odd). What can we apply it to?

Solution

Initially, the sum of all the cards is 5050 (from arithmetic series formula), which is even.

Suppose the two cards you choose are even. Then their sum is even, and their difference is even. The sum of all cards thus remains even.

Suppose they are both odd. Then their sum is even, and their difference is even. The sum of all cards thus remains even.

Suppose one is even and one is odd. Then their sum is odd, and their difference is odd. The sum of all cards thus remains even.

Thus the sum of all cards will always remain even, which remains true when a single card remains. That card must hence be even.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Paper 3 Q3 Solution

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by atsruser
Some further thoughts (I don't have a complete solution):

Spoiler

You're pretty much there,

Spoiler

Paper 3 Question 1:

Spoiler

Paper 3 Question 2:

Spoiler

Paper 3 Question 6:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Test 3, Question 7:
Thanks to Krollo for this solution.

Hints:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

Original post by DFranklin
You're pretty much there,

Spoiler

Yes, thanks for this. I've gone through this in detail now, and I've got a complete solution, I think. This is a pretty interesting result, and I can see why I was baffled last night (I didn't take the equations seriously enough and tried to rely on my intuition - my intuition was wrong).

So, in full:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by atsruser
Yes, thanks for this. I've gone through this in detail now, and I've got a complete solution, I think. This is a pretty interesting result, and I can see why I was baffled last night (I didn't take the equations seriously enough and tried to rely on my intuition - my intuition was wrong).

So, in full:

Spoiler

Yes all looks good.

One thing I'll add:

If you're doing mechanics and have something like:

x¨+kx=A\ddot{x} + kx = A, if you write u = x-A/k, you find

u¨+ku=0\ddot{u} + ku = 0.

That is, looking at u immediately shows we have SHM about u = 0.

I don't know that it's objectively "better" than solving via CF+PI, but to me it shows more clearly what's going on.
Original post by DFranklin
Yes all looks good.

One thing I'll add:

If you're doing mechanics and have something like:

x¨+kx=A\ddot{x} + kx = A, if you write u = x-A/k, you find

u¨+ku=0\ddot{u} + ku = 0.

That is, looking at u immediately shows we have SHM about u = 0.

I don't know that it's objectively "better" than solving via CF+PI, but to me it shows more clearly what's going on.

Yes, I think that tends to crop up in questions where you have a weight hung from an spring vertically and you extend the system from its equilibrium point. It's objectively *quicker* than CF+PI, for sure, but it didn't occur to me immediately last night when I first wrote it up - still, it's just as well to demonstrate a variety of approaches, I guess.
Reply 69
Paper 3, Question 10

Hint

Spoiler

Solution

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why aren't people touching the probability ones? What about paper 4 (from Krollo's interview prep thread?)
Original post by shamika
Why aren't people touching the probability ones? What about paper 4 (from Krollo's interview prep thread?)

:dontknow:

I can't do any of them unfortunately and I think some people, especially those who can do them easily, have no need to come to this thread so they just aren't being done. If you have any you would like to do please go ahead it would be a big help :smile:

I'll add Paper 4 now.
Reply 72
Original post by Jordan\
:dontknow:

I can't do any of them unfortunately and I think some people, especially those who can do them easily, have no need to come to this thread so they just aren't being done. If you have any you would like to do please go ahead it would be a big help :smile:

I'll add Paper 4 now.

Shotgun all the non probability ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Shotgun all the non probability ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go ahead mate :lol: If I could do any of the others I would have them done already :wink:
Reply 74
Test 4 question 1

Hint

When you need to approximate a probability p think about how you might approximate firstly lnp. Can you work back from there?

Solution

If the probability of one bond winning is 1/14000, then the probability of it not winning is 13999/14000. So the probability of at least one winning is 1-(13999/14000)^14000, evidently not 1.

We need to approximate (13999/14000)^14000. Take natural log of it, giving 14000ln(1-1/14000) req 14000 * -1/14000 req -1 by the taylor expansion.

So the probability required is about 1 - e^-1 req 0.63.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got Question 2 if you haven't done it already actually :lol:
Reply 76
Original post by Jordan\
I've got Question 2 if you haven't done it already actually :lol:

Go for it :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Test 4 Question 2

@Jordan\ Whoops sorry I had not seen your above post as I was typing this.

Hint:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by 16Characters....
Test 4 Question 2

@Jordan Whoops sorry I had not seen your above post as I was typing this.

Hint:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

Original post by Jordan\
Paper 4 Question 2

Hint

Spoiler

Solution

Spoiler

Two pleasingly different solutions. What maths is all about, perhaps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Two pleasingly different solutions. What maths is all about, perhaps

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.

Definitely keep both solutions anyway, it will be good to have some alternatives.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending