The Student Room Group

Can I survive uni without understanding statistics?

Hello. I am currently a first year Marketing student. I am in the middle of my first semester and currently dealing ok with all my modules. I was very happy about it, however, I recently started studying Statistics as a mandatory part of one of the modules. I am having couple of tests on it which aren't a big contribution to my grade, but have to be passed entirely in order to pass the module.

The problem is that I find it very difficult. I can memorize the formulas and stuff, but I can't understand the logic behind everything. It's like my brain completely blocks on all the graphs and stuff and refuses to learn anything, due to fear. Unfortunately, I will continue to have stats and tests during the second semester, as well as the first semester of my second year. And on top of that, I come from a foreign country, where I didn't do A-levels. I've also always hated maths and numbers, which is a big part of my struggle with that subject.

So my question is, is it necessary to understand stats to pass all my 3 years and essentially, do we need to understand all the study material in order to graduate from university? And do I need to understand every unit of stats in order to progress to the next one? So far, I feel like I have to learn everything we are given at uni in order to progress... Thank you and appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
you don't need to learn everything, the reason you get certain readings etc. is to broaden your knowledge in the subject. But in terms of passing your degree. usually the subjects which the lectures put emphasis on are usually the things you need to focus on. In your case, you seem to have a lot to do with statistics, I would guess that its mainly just going to be for the tests you have coming up. but statistics can come in useful later when you do your dissertation. understanding statistics is a valuable skill so try your best but don't stress too much over it as im sure its a complex area for everyone. Just keep looking over the lecture material already provided to you from your module and focus on those for your exam.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response. However, the lectures for statistics consist of all these graphs and difficult things I need for the tests. I wish I didn't need everything from those lectures for my tests, but unfortunately everything seems to be essential...
Original post by venom0706
Thank you for your response. However, the lectures for statistics consist of all these graphs and difficult things I need for the tests. I wish I didn't need everything from those lectures for my tests, but unfortunately everything seems to be essential...

Hey, I feel your pain. I find statistics very difficult to grasp as well. I also finding learning statistics from lectures to be absolutely useless, only workshops and working with friends has helped me. Do you have any workshops? Or could you ask for some 1 on 1 help either from lecturers or friends who do well in the subject? As ignoring the problem won't make it go away, you have to keep plugging on at it.
You can't really survive life without understanding statistics, so I would suggest you get on with learning it.

Quick Reply

Latest