The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Had my KCL interview today! I really enjoyed it, as much as one can enjoy an interview. Obviously we had to do the standard interview questions, but also had to prepare a Latin presentation with limited time, as well as discuss some articles from TES. I've done lesson planning before for my volunteering so the presentation didn't go as horrifically as I thought.

Now to play the waiting game! I don't want to get my hopes up too much, because they were interviewing a fair few others that day who all seemed equally as capable, but fingers crossed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by goldfishgirl
Had my KCL interview today! I really enjoyed it, as much as one can enjoy an interview. Obviously we had to do the standard interview questions, but also had to prepare a Latin presentation with limited time, as well as discuss some articles from TES. I've done lesson planning before for my volunteering so the presentation didn't go as horrifically as I thought.

Now to play the waiting game! I don't want to get my hopes up too much, because they were interviewing a fair few others that day who all seemed equally as capable, but fingers crossed.

Glad you enjoyed it! Did you have to sit a Latin test too?

Hope you hear something good soon :smile:
Original post by Aemiliana
Glad you enjoyed it! Did you have to sit a Latin test too?

Hope you hear something good soon :smile:

Yep, it was about AS level standard but the grammar and syntax wasn't too wild.

Thanks, I'm going to be jumping at every email aha.
Yep, it was about AS level standard but the grammar and syntax wasn't too wild.

Thanks, I'm going to be jumping at every email aha.

Was it verse or prose? I find prose so much easier and I'm worried that they'll make me translate verse! (If I even get an interview).

Aw I bet! Is KCL your first choice?
Original post by Aemiliana
Was it verse or prose? I find prose so much easier and I'm worried that they'll make me translate verse! (If I even get an interview).

Aw I bet! Is KCL your first choice?

It was prose! I doubted they'd give us verse probably because there's too many unique words, especially in Ovid. Prose is fairly straightforward (most of the time...)

Yeah it is :smile:
Right, in a bit of a pickle. I have an interview next Tuesday. The 5 min presentation is to "teach a new skill in 5 minutes". I've checked with the provider and it can be any skill. I can pretend to teach children or just teach the group as adults (which, of course, they are!). Does anybody have any ideas?? I have a couple but not sure they're good enough and if I could do it in 5 minutes.

Had an interview on Monday which went awfully so need to make this one count!

Sorry if this has been discussed on this thread. I haven't logged in for a few days and I haven't read through all the pages I've missed!
(edited 8 years ago)
It was prose! I doubted they'd give us verse probably because there's too many unique words, especially in Ovid. Prose is fairly straightforward (most of the time...)

Yeah it is :smile:

Yeah that's what I was worried about! I know in the past they've given people dictionaries but that would still take a while to work out!

Hope they don't make you wait too long to hear - refreshing Track is always miserable!
Got into UCL IOE!!!! Will be accepting when it comes through on UCAS - hurray!

Can't say I'm not relieved that this whole process is over before the end of November, too!

:h: :h: :h:
Original post by ChancedTravels

Can't say I'm not relieved that this whole process is over before the end of November, too!

Absolutely amazing news!! Well done
Just had my interview. Now the waiting begins 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just finished my interview which I think went well but you never know :tongue:
I've been given a voucher for stationary from the school and all it says is that it's valid if you meet the conditions or your offer. I don't know whether they're giving them to all applicants or whether they're giving them to people that they want to offer a place to. I don't want to read too much into it and then be disappointed.
Has anyone else received anything like this?
To those who have had their interviews, how did you prepare for it?
Original post by ChancedTravels

Congratulations!
Original post by alice1812
Hi,

I'm really sorry if this has been asked already! I've received a conditional offer from the IoE for my PGCE, but I'm totally dreading this skills test, and have been given a 2 month deadline. Has anyone done it and is there any advice for the numeracy part? Is it just a matter of practise?

Thanks!

Hi! What subject were you given a conditional offer for and does it actually say 2 months? I wasn't told of when it has to be completed by :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
So after yesterdays little update with my interview next tuesday and the unsuccessful application because the school direct place couldn't actually run the programme.
I just received an email from my 1st option, I have an interview on the 16th of December. Seriously a week before christmas.
I am so happy at the moment I'm bouncing around like my hyperactive niece. So if you can imagine a 6ft 3 rugby player bouncing around like a kid, thats me right now.

I hope everyone else is having alot of good news as well.
I had my interview today and tbh the individual interview was so bad imo! The questions were nothing like the standard ones I had practised and I was completely thrown off guard! Im just waiting to see unsuccessful on my UCAS track any minute now tbh
I felt exactly the same when I did my first interview at Roehampton! But it gets better, try and fail and try again, as they say :smile:
Original post by Bena0202
I had my interview today and tbh the individual interview was so bad imo! The questions were nothing like the standard ones I had practised and I was completely thrown off guard! Im just waiting to see unsuccessful on my UCAS track any minute now tbh

I felt exactly the same when I did my first interview at Roehampton! But it gets better, try and fail and try again, as they say
Hi everyone. I am 28 next month, have 4 children and a BA Degree in Education studies 2:1. I applied for a PGCE at Winchester and Southampton 2 years ago and was unsuccessful in both :frown: I applied agaon this year along with a local Scitt course. Unfortunately I didn't make it through to the second day!! I feel so upset and terrified that this is going to be a repear of 2013. I have just received an interview for Southampton for the 1st of December and feel so scared of rejection- again! I must be awful at interview. Sorry for the depressing post but panicking. Any words of wisdom guys? Good luck to everyone who has secured their places x
Original post by jodiek28
Hi everyone. I am 28 next month, have 4 children and a BA Degree in Education studies 2:1. I applied for a PGCE at Winchester and Southampton 2 years ago and was unsuccessful in both :frown: I applied agaon this year along with a local Scitt course. Unfortunately I didn't make it through to the second day!! I feel so upset and terrified that this is going to be a repear of 2013. I have just received an interview for Southampton for the 1st of December and feel so scared of rejection- again! I must be awful at interview. Sorry for the depressing post but panicking. Any words of wisdom guys? Good luck to everyone who has secured their places x

The best thing you can do is relax! The people who were fretting in my interviews didn't come across well and ended up repeating themselves a lot etc - if you stay calm you'll come across confident and able to manage stress (huge parts of teaching!). Fake it til you make it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending