The Student Room Group

GES (government economic service) placement year interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Have my interview tomorrow, absolutely dying with nerves atm!. My friend who was at the Foreign office last year said to practice macro questions from year 1 uni textbook.

This is my number one choice also hence prepped an incredible amount.
Original post by Mulfy
Have my interview tomorrow, absolutely dying with nerves atm!. My friend who was at the Foreign office last year said to practice macro questions from year 1 uni textbook.

This is my number one choice also hence prepped an incredible amount.

Good luck, i heard its only a levels. How have you prepared?. What competency and macro questions have you most revised for?
Reply 22
Original post by Syrianprince
Good luck, i heard its only a levels. How have you prepared?. What competency and macro questions have you most revised for?

I've tried to create a flexible framework to answer competency questions. Like trying to push forward 4 key skills and 4 key personality traits. All backed up with uni, work and extra-curriculum examples.

Macro I've got for general spread. It's quite hard when certain questions could be answered in a varying level of detail. Atm I'm just trying to cram refresh all the basics.

Getting someone to ask you general questions will test your ability to answer on the spot also.

Oh and thanks!
Original post by Mulfy
I've tried to create a flexible framework to answer competency questions. Like trying to push forward 4 key skills and 4 key personality traits. All backed up with uni, work and extra-curriculum examples.

Macro I've got for general spread. It's quite hard when certain questions could be answered in a varying level of detail. Atm I'm just trying to cram refresh all the basics.

Getting someone to ask you general questions will test your ability to answer on the spot also.

Oh and thanks!

Which department did you apply for?
Reply 24
Which department did you apply for?

I'm planning on keeping that quite for now, I got my second choice however :smile:
Original post by Mulfy
I'm planning on keeping that quite for now, I got my second choice however :smile:

How did your interview go?
Thats great ☺, hope it works out well for you. What types of macro/micro and competency questions did they ask?. Im really nervous as its my first ever interview, got mine on Friday. HMRC

There's another thread for the summer internship and it looks like the interviews are pretty similar, take a look - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3140485
Reply 27
I think it went really well! I made a silly mistake with the numeracy test though, the observing placement student however informed me that he didn't finish when he did it.

Just wondering whether I should send a thankyou email atm.
Argh, interview went okay but there were certainly areas I thought I could have done better on - e.g had a mind freeze right before I was going to talk about autumn statement policies, even though I'd been reading about the autumn statement for quite some time beforehand. Would be a shame if I got rejected but could totally understand why, really didn't do myself justice.
When does anyone think we will hear a decision by?
Reply 30
Has anyone else heard back?

Got an offer email today!
Original post by Mulfy
Has anyone else heard back?

Got an offer email today!

Congrats! Where is your offer from? ONS?
Hi Guys,

I also applied for the GES placement year but found this thread too late, but I was successful. I am starting my placement year int he summer at the Treasury.

How did you all get on?
Im a successful candidate,does anyone know the work life balance/flexibility?
Does anyone know the working hours at HMRC, they're still doing paperwork and i dont know whether i should find another job in the mean time
Original post by akashpatel02
Does anyone know the working hours at HMRC, they're still doing paperwork and i dont know whether i should find another job in the mean time

The working hours will be 9-5 Mon-Fri FLEXITIME. I imagine the delay has been due to the Easter break but in general the paper work takes a few weeks to all clear and for you to be assigned a team.
If the working time is 9-5 mon-friday, how does flexitime occur?
Original post by Ilkay.Gündoğan
The working hours will be 9-5 Mon-Fri FLEXITIME. I imagine the delay has been due to the Easter break but in general the paper work takes a few weeks to all clear and for you to be assigned a team.

If the working time is 9-5 mon-friday, how does flexitime occur?
Reply 38
Original post by chrisessex
Hi Guys,

I also applied for the GES placement year but found this thread too late, but I was successful. I am starting my placement year int he summer at the Treasury.

How did you all get on?

Any advice on how to do well in these interviews and what sort of questions do they ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending