The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Off to hunt for in interview outfit tomorrow afternoon. Am absolutely bricking it about the interview. Not even so much not getting in but getting in. I can see me having to resort to Future Finance to pay for it and never being able to afford a mortgage.

I know getting a loan to pay for medical school is selfish. But going to medical school as a graduate is selfish in and of itself. You have to give up 4, 5, or 6 years of your life to study. Then add in your F1 and F2 years. And a round of up to 4 - 12 years of further training, education and exams (and a lot of money for those exams). Some would say getting into medicine is the easy part.

From what I know by spending a lot of time with junior doctors is your partners, children, family and friends better get used to not seeing much of you as you embark on lots of nights, working weekends and the dreaded on-call rota. Days off spent studying or even working anyway.

And yet none of this diminishes my desire to be a doctor. None of the negative comments from doctors and nurses have put me off. None of the "if I had my time over again I would not do Medicine" lectures have put me off. To the previous poster who had been put off by these shadowing experiences then I would say that medicine is not for you. But for those of us who see all the crap that comes with the job and really do still want it then I guess it is for us. And that makes us really selfish. But the selfish part of my brain doesn't care.

Sorry that got a bit rant heavy.
Have sent my confirmation of degree (2:1) to Exeter. I just received the email from Derby today with the confirmation of classification. I am so happy with having the 2:1 in nursing as my 2:2 in Psychology limited my choices. It is hard to find places who will accept a second degree (Non Masters and PHD) which will allow you to apply.

Have been working as a nurse for 3 years but my shadowing experience was years ago. I am now reading everyones shadowing experiences on here and it is putting the frighteners in me that I just don't have enough. Certainly not enough that I can prove. And I have not cycled round loads of specialities like some have. I guess I relied too much on my nursing experience to get me through.
Original post by CharlieGEM
Long time lurker on this thread. This might sound like a stupid question and I imagine there is only going to be one answer: what is the dress code for medical school interviews? Got an interview for Southampton and would probably expect a few more so I guess I'm going to have to invest in a suit, despite them looking terrible on me (too broad shouldered and thick in the arms).

Guy - Suit trousers, nice shirt, shoes. Only wear a tie if comfortable otherwise you will fiddle with it
Girl - Work Dress or Trousers, nice shirt/top.

Just wear something you feel comfortable/confident in they won't care what colour it is as long as it looks smart and you look confident in it
Original post by enlighten25
I'm so confused because a girl I know said she applied to Leicester graduate entry medicine- I thought they closed down their graduate medicine programme as of 2016??

They did, but they do accept grads to A100.
Long time lurker on this thread. This might sound like a stupid question and I imagine there is only going to be one answer: what is the dress code for medical school interviews? Got an interview for Southampton and would probably expect a few more so I guess I'm going to have to invest in a suit, despite them looking terrible on me (too broad shouldered and thick in the arms).

I'm guessing you're male- you don't have to wear a suit, especially if you don't already own one! Smart trousers with a collared shirt and tie is completely fine. Nobody wears a suit on the wards anyway...just dress smartly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely a suit, there are different styles of suits so find the one that suits you best. There has to be one.
Thanks so much for the advice :smile:

Yes, I'm male by the way. To give some indication of the scale of the problem finding suits my rough measurements would be 50" chest, 20" arms, possibly more. I'm 5'8".

I guess if I can find a comfortable suit to buy I will wear it if not I will stick with a collared shirt, tie, smart shoes and trousers.
Thanks so much for the advice :smile:

Yes, I'm male by the way. To give some indication of the scale of the problem finding suits my rough measurements would be 50" chest, 20" arms, possibly more. I'm 5'8".

I guess if I can find a comfortable suit to buy I will wear it if not I will stick with a collared shirt, tie, smart shoes and trousers.

Some advice from me, as someone (also male) who currently works in the City and sees a lot of suits at work (good, bad and ugly) is avoid double-breasted as this will 'widen' you, maybe go for a very (honestly, VERY) light pinstripe to help elongate - but nothing too strong or gaudy. You can't go wrong with either a plain dark charcoal grey or dark blue, but avoid a black suit (unless you're at court or a funeral). I'd suggest M&S, go at a quiet time and find a good member of staff to help. Plain white shirt and a nice tie, again, nothing too jazzy. Wear with smart black or brown shoes and match your belt colour to your shoes.

If you're in London and can shop at a weird time, I'd recommend the M&S on Moorgate, during a weekday, as they have a huge selection and it's usually pretty quiet.
Original post by lyra1987
Have sent my confirmation of degree (2:1) to Exeter. I just received the email from Derby today with the confirmation of classification. I am so happy with having the 2:1 in nursing as my 2:2 in Psychology limited my choices. It is hard to find places who will accept a second degree (Non Masters and PHD) which will allow you to apply.

Have been working as a nurse for 3 years but my shadowing experience was years ago. I am now reading everyones shadowing experiences on here and it is putting the frighteners in me that I just don't have enough. Certainly not enough that I can prove. And I have not cycled round loads of specialities like some have. I guess I relied too much on my nursing experience to get me through.

I wouldn't worry, I'm sure your nursing experience will count for a lot. I only have one week plus one day of shadowing experience. I have a fair bit of other work experience to go with it but in terms of shadowing that's it.

Thanks for the advice on suits, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere hence my options are slightly more limited but there is an M&S, whether it has a sufficient range of suits might be doubtful. I could always drive to a city but given my dislike of wearing suits I thought it was worth exploring the necessity of doing so.
I also got an interview at Kings!!

I'm gonna be going suit and tie to Southampton and Kings, and if I'm lucky enough to get any more will be going to them suited too :smile:
Original post by ChristovGiant
I also got an interview at Kings!!

I'm gonna be going suit and tie to Southampton and Kings, and if I'm lucky enough to get any more will be going to them suited too :smile:

I'm on the fence between waistcoat or jacket

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone had any requests for their degree transcript? I don't really know what this means! Do you think they're considering the application?
When did you get offered an interview for southampton?
And what was your UKCAT if you dont mind me asking?
I've not heard anything from southampton.. not by email or ucas anyway, im a bit worried! Is there some other way they would notify me? I can't log into the online hobsons connect thing that they gave me a link to :/
At least it's not a rejection yet though!
Original post by lyra1987

You work with and along side doctors so you should understand the role very well. All you need to do is show your understand at the interview and you'll be fine I'm.

(I'm also a nurse)
Original post by Charlottemc1234
Has anyone had any requests for their degree transcript? I don't really know what this means! Do you think they're considering the application?

It's to make sure your degree has an appropriate amount of certain aspects such as chemistry.
They're just making sure you meet the minimum academic requirements.
Reply 3775
Original post by annawalms
I've not heard anything from southampton.. not by email or ucas anyway, im a bit worried! Is there some other way they would notify me? I can't log into the online hobsons connect thing that they gave me a link to :/

Hobsons connect? What is that?

I got an email direct from admissions at Southampton last Wednesday. Nothing has appeared on UCAS track despite me confirming the interview and getting an acknowledgement to that effect.

I got 775 on the UKCAT (VR 820, QR 900, AR 670, DA 710, SJT band 2). I ran out of mental energy on the last two sections: I think it was a mistake I got away with to sit it 6 days after the GAMSAT.

Could you not contact the admissions team at Southampton? I can give you their email if it is any help.
Original post by ninalouise258
QMUL asked for my degree transcript today, is that a good sign? Been rejected by King's :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Id that that it likely is a good sign. What was your UKCAT, if you don't mind me asking?

Hello - further up the thread I think someone said they had called Southampton who said they had issued all their GEM interview invitations for now. But they hold open the option of inviting people later in the cycle in case they don't get what they want from the December round of interviews. I also think I have read that they tend not to send out rejections until they have completed the whole process (i.e. Feb/March time) - so at the same time as when they send out offers. Sorry - I appreciate that might not be very good news. I should also emphasize that this is all second hand info from other posters, but it has seemed pretty consistent so far (I am avidly watching SOTON related posts!).

In terms of UKCAT scores, I haven't seen any invitations to interview below 700 I don't think, and suspect their cut off is a bit above that.

Hope that's (not too un)helpful.
Am I right in thinking the government just scrapped NHS bursaries?

The quote is

"Grants for student medics, including nurses, to be scrapped and replaced by loans."

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending