The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Florence29
Hey, could you tell me what core textbooks MMU use for anatomy and physiology? I don't have a science background and would like to get a head start if I can.

The human body by Gillian Pocock is a good one, everything we need to know for biology is taught in lectures. But this is the only book I've really looked at :smile:
Hi Nesca,
Can I ask why you deferred? (obviously if it was for health/private reasons then you don't need to say!). Is the course enjoyable?/very intense?
What universities has everyone heard from?
Original post by jemma242
Hi everyone,

I'm starting SLT at UEA next year, but I'm not going through the application process as I'm lucky enough to have a deferred offer from my application that I completed this year. :biggrin: I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about personal statements, interviews, experience, results day etc as I have had a lot of experience with that this year. In my gap year, I'm working full time at my local gymnastics club where I work and train, so I'll be around most of the time to answer any questions! Hopefully I'll meet some of you at UEA next year! :biggrin:

Hi if you dont mind what were your predicted grades, my predicted grades fall slightly below the entry requirements, would this be a problem?

Thank you
Original post by Katy100
Hi Nesca,
Can I ask why you deferred? (obviously if it was for health/private reasons then you don't need to say!). Is the course enjoyable?/very intense?

Hi Katy, yeah it was just a few things I had to take time out to sort through. I can't wait to go back next year with a fresh mind.
The course is intense, everyone on here who is already on the course were telling me about how much work there is to do. And obviously everyone is different but it is full on. There are a lot of lectures and different topics that you get thrown into. However, it is manageable when you get used to it and very very interesting. If you have an interest in people, language, communication and biology then you will enjoy the course. :smile:
Reply 145
Original post by Aria Abc
What universities has everyone heard from?

Hi i have heard from Marjon, City university London and Reading. I have been invited to interviews in December. So soon!! Who have you heard from?
Original post by tcrj
Hi i have heard from Marjon, City university London and Reading. I have been invited to interviews in December. So soon!! Who have you heard from?

Newcastle, DMU and BCU. Good luck with your interviews :smile:
Hi,

I've applied for speech and language therapy at MMU, UoM, Leeds Beckett and university of Sheffeild. I have an interview at mmu on Monday is really daunting is there any advice you could give? Also has anyone heard back from Leeds Beckett?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zpatel97
Hi,

I've applied for speech and language therapy at MMU, UoM, Leeds Beckett and university of Sheffeild. I have an interview at mmu on Monday is really daunting is there any advice you could give? Also has anyone heard back from Leeds Beckett?

I've also applied to Leeds but I haven't heard anything back either
Newcastle, DMU and BCU. Good luck with your interviews :smile:

Hi if you dont mind what were your predicted grades and I want to apply to DMU and BCU. are you doing aleves, if so what subjects?
have you been called for an interview from BCU and DMU
Hi,

Well done on getting your interview! Have they said if it's face to face or written? Mine was written last year and it wasn't too difficult to be honest. I would say the answers to the questions involve a lot of common sense. Just read up on the Speech therapy career and try to draw on any experience you have. Good luck!
Original post by cherry16
Hi if you dont mind what were your predicted grades and I want to apply to DMU and BCU. are you doing aleves, if so what subjects?
have you been called for an interview from BCU and DMU

Predicted grades are AAB and for my A Levels I do Chemistry, Psychology and Spanish and I did Biology last year. I've had my interview at DMU and I've got my one for BCU coming up
Original post by nesca89
Well done on getting your interview! Have they said if it's face to face or written? Mine was written last year and it wasn't too difficult to be honest. I would say the answers to the questions involve a lot of common sense. Just read up on the Speech therapy career and try to draw on any experience you have. Good luck!

Hi,
Thank you :smile:, they have said its a 15 minute face to face interview and a short written assessement. What kind of questions did they ask in the interview and assessement task? This is my first interview so I'm quite anxious
Predicted grades are AAB and for my A Levels I do Chemistry, Psychology and Spanish and I did Biology last year. I've had my interview at DMU and I've got my one for BCU coming up

Which other unis have you applied to?
Which uni do you want to go to?
Do you think the course is competitive?

Thank you
Hi,

Exactly the same unis I applied to 2 years ago! I am now in my second year at MMU (although I do the joint honours course - SLT & Psychology, which they don't run anymore).

Don't panic too much for your interview on Monday - they are a great bunch of people and they will put you at ease. The interview process has changed since I applied but it was all very organised and enjoyable.

Don't worry about Leeds - they don't usually organise interviews until after Christmas (at least that's how its been the last two years).

Good luck

Thank you

Hi

Yes the course is very competitive as there are so few places at each uni and so few unis that offer the course - but don't let that put you off.

Good luck
Hello I have an Interview at Sheffield on the 11th of January, so nervous but at least I have enough time to prepare more, anyone else have this? As it says it will involve a group task, so scared about that too lol, I am not sure what it will involve. Does anyone know what kind of group tasks they use for SLT interviews?
Maybe it's so they can reject me but at least I'll be ready for any other interviews I get.

Thank you

I've also applied to Cardiff Met and Leeds Beckett but I'm still waiting to hear from them. I'm not sure where I want to go yet...hopefully I just get some offers :/ I do believe that SLT is a very competitive course due to the fact that there aren't hundreds of places and also unis want to make sure that they're getting the right people onto the course and making sure that they're suited to SLT. However if you really want to do it I think it's worth it.
Original post by Galaxies
Hello I have an Interview at Sheffield on the 11th of January, so nervous but at least I have enough time to prepare more, anyone else have this? As it says it will involve a group task, so scared about that too lol, I am not sure what it will involve. Does anyone know what kind of group tasks they use for SLT interviews?
Maybe it's so they can reject me but at least I'll be ready for any other interviews I get.

In my group task we just had a discussion surrounding an issue that can sometimes crop up while studying SLT (sorry I can't go into too many details) but it was pretty relaxed. Try and not be too scared but I know that's easy to say! Just try and read up as much as possible on SLT and I feel like that's the best preparation. Don't be so negative :smile: if Sheffield didn't want you they wouldn't ask you to come for an interview, good luck!
Original post by AmyPilot
Exactly the same unis I applied to 2 years ago! I am now in my second year at MMU (although I do the joint honours course - SLT & Psychology, which they don't run anymore).

Don't panic too much for your interview on Monday - they are a great bunch of people and they will put you at ease. The interview process has changed since I applied but it was all very organised and enjoyable.

Don't worry about Leeds - they don't usually organise interviews until after Christmas (at least that's how its been the last two years).

Good luck

Thank you :smile:, how long did it take for them to get back to you after the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest