Original post by CoolCavy
yes :smile:

Hey, Cavy :smile: How are things with you going? :h:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hey, Cavy :smile: How are things with you going? :h:

hey bubbles!! :bubbles:
good :smile: just painting atm :h:
WBU? :smile:
Another question... I'm feeling thoughtful this evening: Do those who speak two languages (or at least part of another language) find the difficulty in the other language?
hey bubbles!! :bubbles:
good :smile: just painting atm :h:
WBU? :smile:

:wavey:

What are you painting? Objects, emotions, guinea pigs? :tongue:
I'm just chilling really, have been shopping today and been trying to relax :h:
From my own experience, I agree with this. My spelling isn't the best (not clinically disordered, I just have a blank of how to spell some words sometimes), however I do talk quite quickly so written communication gives me more time to process what I'm saying :smile:

It's structuring thoughts on paper that gets hard for me , saying it in conversation tends to make a fair bit more sense but I agree writing does make you think more about what you say for sure :smile:

English is a pretty weird language for spelling, I only struggle with words that don't seem to make sense like definetly
( I can't understand why the vowels go where they do. Although clinically my spelling is "normal" supposedly :tongue:)
Original post by claireestelle
It's structuring thoughts on paper that gets hard for me , saying it in conversation tends to make a fair bit more sense but I agree writing does make you think more about what you say for sure :smile:

English is a pretty weird language for spelling, I only struggle with words that don't seem to make sense like definetly
( I can't understand why the vowels go where they do. Although clinically my spelling is "normal" supposedly :tongue:)

So it's more spontaneous and less 'forced' in a way?

It really is! I still can't spell defiently - there we go, auto correct says it's wrong :tongue: Usually I have auto correct to help me so I get away with it, but I find writing medical and case notes a real struggle with no corrections and pressure to write them quickly :lol:
Another question... I'm feeling thoughtful this evening: Do those who speak two languages (or at least part of another language) find the difficulty in the other language?

Weirdly although I m nowhere near as fluent as I was, Welsh grammar and spellings do make more sense to me than English ever has (like dyslecsia looks better to me than dyslexia) , but I wouldn't say writing Welsh is anywhere near being easy for me.
Weirdly although I m nowhere near as fluent as I was, Welsh grammar and spellings do make more sense to me than English ever has (like dyslecsia looks better to me than dyslexia) , but I wouldn't say writing Welsh is anywhere near being easy for me.

I thought Welsh had like no vowels? :tongue: But seriously, that's really interesting - English has been created from an amalgamation of borrowed words from different languages, so it's like a messed up jigsaw piece in my eyes :lol: (Sorry, English, I love you really!)
So it's more spontaneous and less 'forced' in a way?

It really is! I still can't spell defiently - there we go, auto correct says it's wrong :tongue: Usually I have auto correct to help me so I get away with it, but I find writing medical and case notes a real struggle with no corrections and pressure to write them quickly :lol:

Yes more spontaneous:smile: Hopefully in time autocorrect will get better at its job in time, if in doubt I ask siri now:P
I find with medical words if you can break them down they might make more sense, for example I managed to teach myself to spell schizophrenia (as in schizo-phr-en-ia) but then other simpler words like definetly just wont get in my brain.
I thought Welsh had like no vowels? :tongue: But seriously, that's really interesting - English has been created from an amalgamation of borrowed words from different languages, so it's like a messed up jigsaw piece in my eyes :lol: (Sorry, English, I love you really!)

you two are like the opposite to me :smile:
it is not easy for me to make myself heard physically as i mumble a lot (especially when nervous) i hate it when ppl say 'speak up' :s-smilie:

Oh welsh has more vowels than english does; a,e,i,o,u,w,y if I remember them correctly and then it doesnt have some of the english letters but instead has wonderful ones like ch th and ng :wink:
:wavey:

What are you painting? Objects, emotions, guinea pigs? :tongue:
I'm just chilling really, have been shopping today and been trying to relax :h:

:lovehug:
my PD coursework :smile: it is a bit nervewracking as it is a crucial step :afraid:
ooh shopping! like for christmas? :h:
Yes more spontaneous:smile: Hopefully in time autocorrect will get better at its job in time, if in doubt I ask siri now:P
I find with medical words if you can break them down they might make more sense, for example I managed to teach myself to spell schizophrenia (as in schizo-phr-en-ia) but then other simpler words like definetly just wont get in my brain.

Yeah, I love words that can be broken up to be spelt! Those which can't be cause me continuous embarrassment, so I just try and learn how to spell them. Part of me wants to go for a Dyslexia test to try and rule it out, but I'm scared of the results :lol:

Oh welsh has more vowels than english does; a,e,i,o,u,w,y if I remember them correctly and then it doesnt have some of the english letters but instead has wonderful ones like ch th and ng :wink:

Ohhh, that's why there are so many Ys :rofl: Oh wow, they're fancy - here's a test, which words are they in? :mmm:
Yeah, I love words that can be broken up to be spelt! Those which can't be cause me continuous embarrassment, so I just try and learn how to spell them. Part of me wants to go for a Dyslexia test to try and rule it out, but I'm scared of the results :lol:

Ohhh, that's why there are so many Ys :rofl: Oh wow, they're fancy - here's a test, which words are they in? :mmm:

Dyslexia tests arent too scary and you get a good 14 pages on the strengths and weakness of your brain out of it, so although I ended up finding out I had the dyslexia on top of the dyspraxia with the test I had done, at least I have a list of stuff my brain is good at now:smile:
It would be much better if every word was much more logical.
The thing about welsh is we like to use as many letters as we can in our words but I would think that llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, has got all the vowels covered, its only missing a th and dd really:P .
Dyslexia tests arent too scary and you get a good 14 pages on the strengths and weakness of your brain out of it, so although I ended up finding out I had the dyslexia on top of the dyspraxia with the test I had done, at least I have a list of stuff my brain is good at now:smile:
It would be much better if every word was much more logical.
The thing about welsh is we like to use as many letters as we can in our words but I would think that llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, has got all the vowels covered, its only missing a th and dd really:P .

I just don't want them to be like "why are you here? You got an A in English A Level and are doing an English based degree" :tongue: Learning the strengths and weaknesses would be great though :smile:

What. Is. That?! :rofl: Seriously, what does that mean? :giggle:
I just don't want them to be like "why are you here? You got an A in English A Level and are doing an English based degree" :tongue: Learning the strengths and weaknesses would be great though :smile:

What. Is. That?! :rofl: Seriously, what does that mean? :giggle:

I m sure they wont ask you that at all, until a levels academically I sort of struggled along but still got good grades, in fact the educational psychologist only asked about my primary school education so they really wouldnt ask :smile:

Literally speaking it means :s-smilie:t Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the fierce whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave
A welsh man gave the town its name to delibrately try to make it famous and it kind of worked :P
I have Aspergers :frown: I really struggle to get my point across sometimes though I'm better at writing it out so my essays tend to be quite strong. I have lots of trouble making and keeping friends because I isolate myself quite a lot. It's something that, if you don't have it or know someone who does, it's quite difficult to understand. It's made my school life very difficult.
you two are like the opposite to me :smile:
it is not easy for me to make myself heard physically as i mumble a lot (especially when nervous) i hate it when ppl say 'speak up' :s-smilie:

What makes you nervous? :hugs:
Do those who experience communication difficulties find communicating online easier? Obviously this will depend if the difficulty if with spoken or written form - thoughts? :smile:

Not really. My problem is both written and spoken communication. I find I don't understand a lot of written communication, nor can I explain myself properly in writing. It's not that usual for a friend of mine (like he did Monday) to have to explain himself in email more than once in a different way because I don't understand what he really means.
(edited 8 years ago)
What makes you nervous? :hugs:

most things :colondollar:
-exams
-speaking in public
-being in public
-doing dance,gym whatever
-teachers watching me
-female teachers
-pretty ppl looking at me
-looking at myself

:redface: that is why i prefer talking online bc noone can see me and it isn't so frustrating to make myself heard :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest