The Student Room Group

History of Art Applicants 2015/16!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, I've got an interview from Warwick, but don't have any info yet as I haven't picked the date to go on :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by louise649
Hi,
It's great that there's finally a thread for us HoA applicants :smile:
I was wondering what you guys have done in terms of extra curricular stuff? And also what books you've read?

Im applying for UCl, Courtuald, Warwick, York and Sussex. In terms of going to the Courtuald, I went to the summer school there and I recommend it completely. It's totally unique and has a great atmosphere, we didn't have any student lectures but I guess depends on the modules you do.

Ooh, you've got nearly all of my choices! We could be going to the same uni :smile: and extra curriculur wise, I've done a Heritage Camp at Winchester Cathedral, curated an art exhibition, and work experience at an antiques shop. Books wise, I've read loads of books about the Pre Raphaelites and Renaissance art, and also some books about art in general like Gombrich's the story of art. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 22
Hey everyone,
So glad i found this thread- it's lonely out there!
Im applying for Oxford, Courtauld, York, UCL and St Andrews with A*A*A predictions
So far have an offer from York!
How did people find the UCL written work questions? I am worried as no reply and sent them so long ago! Waiting for offers is so stressful! I literally check my emails every minute- help!
Reply 23
Original post by 1sh
Hey everyone,
So glad i found this thread- it's lonely out there!
Im applying for Oxford, Courtauld, York, UCL and St Andrews with A*A*A predictions
So far have an offer from York!
How did people find the UCL written work questions? I am worried as no reply and sent them so long ago! Waiting for offers is so stressful! I literally check my emails every minute- help!

Woo! Got an offer from York too :smile: might see you there then!!
Reply 24
Original post by FranScan97
Woo! Got an offer from York too :smile: might see you there then!!

Yay! Have you looked round? I haven't actually seen it and are you going to this reception talk on the 27th? x :smile:
Reply 25
Yeah, I've looked around the art history bits, as I went to the info evening last year (it was really good, I'd recommend going), but I've not seen the main campus or accommodation etc. The art history department was gorgeous though. :smile:
Original post by FranScan97
Ooh, you've got nearly all of my choices! We could be going to the same uni :smile: and extra curriculur wise, I've done a Heritage Camp at Winchester Cathedral, curated an art exhibition, and work experience at an antiques shop. Books wise, I've read loads of books about the Pre Raphaelites and Renaissance art, and also some books about art in general like Gombrich's the story of art. Hope that helps :smile:

Sounds like you've done similar things as me :smile:. I've worked at Petworth House as a Conservation assistant, attended the Courtauld summer school and I work in a small gallery in south London helping curate exhibitions and sell art. I'm also taking an extra AS level in Art History and an EPQ about the impact of technology on 19th-century art. I'm only predicted A*AB :frown: so I'm hoping my extracurricular will make up for it. I also read some books on Art Theory, Conservation and Visari's Live's of the Artist and then Gombrich and Ways of Seeing, but they didn't seem too impressed by them at open days so I left them out of my personal statement. Honestly, I'm quite intimidated by all the people on this thread you all have high predicted grades.
Reply 27
Oh, God I do too, don't worry! You've got exactly the same predicted grades as me, but they're over the grade requirements for the universities we want to go to, so we should be OK x
Reply 28
Hi! I'm applying to Cambridge, Courtauld, St. Andrews, UCL, and Warwick. I 've got an offer from Warwick and I am waiting for UCL decision since I have sent my answers to their questionnaire :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,
It's great that there's finally a thread for us HoA applicants :smile:
I was wondering what you guys have done in terms of extra curricular stuff? And also what books you've read?

Im applying for UCl, Courtuald, Warwick, York and Sussex. In terms of going to the Courtuald, I went to the summer school there and I recommend it completely. It's totally unique and has a great atmosphere, we didn't have any student lectures but I guess depends on the modules you do.

In terms of extra curricular stuff, my school offers nothing, so I don't really know. I just visit as many galleries, museums and exhibitions as possible, either when I'm on holiday or whenever something crops up locally. Another thing that you could try out would be experimenting with different art media and sketching; you could even try and find a live modelling class or pottery class or something, or just go around galleries sketching. Gallery sketching is HILARIOUS. Everything I've ever tried to draw is very awful and dodgy, but it can be fun, and I think it helps you remember the composition of pieces better. Although I don't believe you require any artistic skill or talent to study (God knows, my own artistic talent is very, very limited!) HoA, I think experimenting can make you appreciate the sheer depth of the talent and technique of art better. For example, I'm obsessed with impasto atm. I've tried mixing paint with plaster and using different types of plaster based paint to try and build up texture, and I simply don't understand how people are able to create such detailed masterpieces (Like Rembrandt's self portraits, basically everything by Van Gogh) with impasto and thick paint; it's so clumsy, it's impossible! That's basically all I do as extra-curricular (Lol, does that even count as extra curricular?). It would be fabulous to go to lectures, student taught or otherwise, but I literally only know one other art history lover, and there's honestly NOTHING like that available to me in my home town. Most people don't even know what HoA is when I tell them it's what I intend to study.
In regards to extra reading, I've been trudging through Gombrich, "The Story of Art". It's fairly good in just giving you a solid grounding. Everything else I've read is basically junk my dad and I have plundered from charity shops; I don't even know if there's much I could recommend to you that's of actual academic merit. Listening to podcasts can be quite useful and also really relaxing. BBC "In Our Time" is phenomenal, I'm obsessed. There was a good one on Frida Kahlo released last July! I'd also recommend just searching for stuff you're interested in on YouTube, and watching whatever pops up. That can be fun; it's like Bertie's Every Flavour Jelly Beans, you never quite know what you're going to get! I'm also reading a book called "Thinking About Art" by Penny Huntsman. It was originally written as a companion for the AQA HoA A Level, but I've never had the opportunity to study HoA and feel quite disadvantaged, so I'm finding it useful in gaining a basic guide for analysing works of art. Huntsman provides a "toolbox" for what questions you should ask when looking at sculpture, architecture and paintings for the first time, which I've found to be immensely helpful. Generally, my "analysis" of Art is 100% personal opinion and interpretation, I have no idea what I'm doing and tend to say a lot of ridiculous and incorrect things.
I hope my rambling has been of some use to you! I'm very jealous of your experience with the summer school at the Courtauld; that would have been incredible! I visited during the summer and fell in love with everything there. Even Somerset House itself has such a strong historical presence; I think Cromwell possibly even died there? Idk. Good luck, hope I've been of some help! X :smile:
Sounds like you've done similar things as me :smile:. I've worked at Petworth House as a Conservation assistant, attended the Courtauld summer school and I work in a small gallery in south London helping curate exhibitions and sell art. I'm also taking an extra AS level in Art History and an EPQ about the impact of technology on 19th-century art. I'm only predicted A*AB :frown: so I'm hoping my extracurricular will make up for it. I also read some books on Art Theory, Conservation and Visari's Live's of the Artist and then Gombrich and Ways of Seeing, but they didn't seem too impressed by them at open days so I left them out of my personal statement. Honestly, I'm quite intimidated by all the people on this thread you all have high predicted grades.

I'm intimidated by your experience. I may have quite good grades, but you've had so many insane opportunities! Also, A*AB is an AMAZING prediction. I didn't mention much extra reading on my personal statement either. The only thing I brought up was Nochlin's "Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists?" essay. I would give ANYTHING to study A Level HoA, you're very lucky.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by umbibatt
Hi! I'm applying to Cambridge, Courtauld, St. Andrews, UCL, and Warwick. I 've got an offer from Warwick and I am waiting for UCL decision since I have sent my answers to their questionnaire :smile:

A fellow Cambridge HoA applicant! Hi. What college/have you been invited to interview yet? :smile:
Reply 32
Gonville & Caius. I am still waiting for their decision. What about you? :smile:
Reply 33
Just got offered an interview at Oxford! Sooo happy!!!!! (only issue being they dont give you much notification!!)
Reply 34
Got an offer from UCL and interview for Oxford- ahhhhhh! Scary!
Reply 35
Original post by JMB15
Just got offered an interview at Oxford! Sooo happy!!!!! (only issue being they dont give you much notification!!)

Yayyyy! Which college did you apply for?
Original post by umbibatt
Gonville & Caius. I am still waiting for their decision. What about you? :smile:

I almost actually picked Gonville and Caius, it looks incredible. I have an interview at Magdalene in two weeks time, no idea what I'm doing though haha.
Original post by JMB15

Original post by 1sh
Got an offer from UCL and interview for Oxford- ahhhhhh! Scary!

Congratulations to both of you on your Oxford interviews, that's amazing!! Good luck, I'm sure you will both be smashing x
How is everyone preparing for their interviews? :smile:
Original post by VenetiaStanley
In terms of extra curricular stuff, my school offers nothing, so I don't really know. I just visit as many galleries, museums and exhibitions as possible, either when I'm on holiday or whenever something crops up locally. Another thing that you could try out would be experimenting with different art media and sketching; you could even try and find a live modelling class or pottery class or something, or just go around galleries sketching. Gallery sketching is HILARIOUS. Everything I've ever tried to draw is very awful and dodgy, but it can be fun, and I think it helps you remember the composition of pieces better. Although I don't believe you require any artistic skill or talent to study (God knows, my own artistic talent is very, very limited!) HoA, I think experimenting can make you appreciate the sheer depth of the talent and technique of art better. For example, I'm obsessed with impasto atm. I've tried mixing paint with plaster and using different types of plaster based paint to try and build up texture, and I simply don't understand how people are able to create such detailed masterpieces (Like Rembrandt's self portraits, basically everything by Van Gogh) with impasto and thick paint; it's so clumsy, it's impossible! That's basically all I do as extra-curricular (Lol, does that even count as extra curricular?). It would be fabulous to go to lectures, student taught or otherwise, but I literally only know one other art history lover, and there's honestly NOTHING like that available to me in my home town. Most people don't even know what HoA is when I tell them it's what I intend to study.
In regards to extra reading, I've been trudging through Gombrich, "The Story of Art". It's fairly good in just giving you a solid grounding. Everything else I've read is basically junk my dad and I have plundered from charity shops; I don't even know if there's much I could recommend to you that's of actual academic merit. Listening to podcasts can be quite useful and also really relaxing. BBC "In Our Time" is phenomenal, I'm obsessed. There was a good one on Frida Kahlo released last July! I'd also recommend just searching for stuff you're interested in on YouTube, and watching whatever pops up. That can be fun; it's like Bertie's Every Flavour Jelly Beans, you never quite know what you're going to get! I'm also reading a book called "Thinking About Art" by Penny Huntsman. It was originally written as a companion for the AQA HoA A Level, but I've never had the opportunity to study HoA and feel quite disadvantaged, so I'm finding it useful in gaining a basic guide for analysing works of art. Huntsman provides a "toolbox" for what questions you should ask when looking at sculpture, architecture and paintings for the first time, which I've found to be immensely helpful. Generally, my "analysis" of Art is 100% personal opinion and interpretation, I have no idea what I'm doing and tend to say a lot of ridiculous and incorrect things.
I hope my rambling has been of some use to you! I'm very jealous of your experience with the summer school at the Courtauld; that would have been incredible! I visited during the summer and fell in love with everything there. Even Somerset House itself has such a strong historical presence; I think Cromwell possibly even died there? Idk. Good luck, hope I've been of some help! X :smile:

Wow, thanks for the idea's :smile:. Penny Huntsman is my Art history teacher, its so weird to see her mention outside of class aha, she'll be glad to know your using it. I've got it too it's really helpful to give you a grounding in analysing art :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending