The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ToLiveInADream
There kind of is. I just checked; EVERYONE who got a 3.1< in section 1 was rejected without interview. Despite their section 2 / essay grade. :frown:

What I meant by there being no pattern was that there's no correlation between BMAT scores and chances of an interview/offer, given that there are quite a few people with almost perfect scores being rejected in favour of people with not-so-perfect scores. Also, if you look on page 13, one person got an offer with 2.8 on section 1...

Granted, that's an extreme example, but all I'm saying is don't think you've been rejected before you've even heard anything from UCL.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Hydeman
What I meant by there being no pattern was that there's no correlation between BMAT scores and chances of an interview/offer, given that there are quite a few people with almost perfect scores being rejected in favour of people with not-so-perfect scores. Also, if you look on page 13, one person got an offer with 2.8 on section 1...

Granted, that's an extreme example, but all I'm saying is don't think you've been rejected before you've even heard anything from UCL.

I understand, I'm sorry I've just been stressed all day because I got 3.1/5.2/4A which sucks! Thanks for the encouragement, you've been really nice by providing information :smile:
Original post by mp_x
GCSE: 11 A*s
AS: 4 As (I got asked for my UMS a few days ago, how weird!)
BMAT: 4.5 4.5 3A

My interview is on 16th December! :smile:

Congratulations! Do you mind me asking what your average UMS was for AS and what subjects you're taking?
Reply 143
My stats are...

GCES - 8 A*, 2 A
AS - AAAC
Predictions - A* A* A

BMAT
Section 1 - 4.5
Section 2 - 5.2
Section 3 - 2.5b

Applied to UCL, Imperial, Kings (6yr), St. Georges
Original post by JVC100
My stats are...

GCES - 8 A*, 2 A
AS - AAAC
Predictions - A* A* A

BMAT
Section 1 - 4.5
Section 2 - 5.2
Section 3 - 2.5b

Applied to UCL, Imperial, Kings (6yr), St. Georges

Isn't the six-year course foundation year course only open to those with no more than one science A Level? I can't see how you've managed to be eligible for both five- and six-year courses because the requirements for those are usually designed to ensure that nobody is eligible for both.
Reply 145
Original post by Hydeman
Isn't the six-year course foundation year course only open to those with no more than one science A Level? I can't see how you've managed to be eligible for both five- and six-year courses because the requirements for those are usually designed to ensure that nobody is eligible for both.

No king's extended medical programme is 6 Years, it's for those from state schools in London with lower UKCAT/Predicted grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azula
No king's extended medical programme is 6 Years, it's for those from state schools in London with lower UKCAT/Predicted grades

Ah, I see. It's probably one of those new Gateway to Medicine courses that are running for the first time in 2016 to widen access to medicine. :smile:

But then I don't see how you could apply to Imperial and UCL (without AAA/A*AA predicted).
Reply 147
Original post by Hydeman

I only applied to the 6 year course at Kings. They ask that you are studying Biology and Chemistry at A level. The criteria is you have to have gone to a non-selective state schools in Greater London.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/EMDP/entryrequirements
Reply 148
Original post by chehjuan
Congratulations! Do you mind me asking what your average UMS was for AS and what subjects you're taking?

Thank you! I'm not entirely sure but I know it was 90+. I am taking Chemistry, Biology and Maths (dropped Geography at AS).
Original post by 0livvia
I can't quite remember, but I think it was something along the lines of, 'If an assertion is made without evidence to support it, the assertion can be dismissed without evidence to disprove it'.. Something like that, but worded differently!

Ahh yeh that rings a bell actually, and then the qs would have been like 'To what extent do you agree with this statement' etc. Do you remember anything about a question where 'doctors must take into account wider population interests when dealing with a patient' or something like that... It's such a blur argh
Original post by mp_x
Ucl interview omgggggggggggggg

Congratulations! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by nurav11
Guys, do any of you remember the title of the question 3 essay? Since UCL use the essay as part of the interview, it'd definitely be good to try and remember what we wrote!

Original post by 0livvia
I can't quite remember, but I think it was something along the lines of, 'If an assertion is made without evidence to support it, the assertion can be dismissed without evidence to disprove it'.. Something like that, but worded differently!

That was question 2 (at least in the UK and Ireland), not question 3. Question 3 was something else, probably about computers or something. Best to go through the BMAT megathread and look at the entries from around 4 - 6 November. :smile:

Ideally, you should've remember the actual question you answered rather than just the number...
I got 3.7 3.3 4A, goodbye UCL
Original post by Hydeman
That was question 2 (at least in the UK and Ireland), not question 3. Question 3 was something else, probably about computers or something. Best to go through the BMAT megathread and look at the entries from around 4 - 6 November. :smile:

Ideally, you should've remember the actual question you answered rather than just the number...

Well the title was to do with how the doctor weighed up patient's interests vs population interests (I think), it might have been a different question number but that was what I answered. Really struggling to remember the specifics though which is annoying :/, probably should have done notes on the essay straight after the BMAT.

But yeh, will give it a try thanks :smile:.
Original post by nurav11
Well the title was to do with how the doctor weighed up patient's interests vs population interests (I think), it might have been a different question number but that was what I answered. Really struggling to remember the specifics though which is annoying :/, probably should have done notes on the essay straight after the BMAT.

But yeh, will give it a try thanks :smile:.

Congratulations on the interview and good luck. :h: Post-interview chances at UCL are mouthwatering...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Congratulations on the interview and good luck. :h: Post-interview chances at UCL at mouthwatering...

Ahaha thanks but I don't have an interview :tongue:. Just preparing for the best case scenario I suppose... I know right, 500 out of 700 interviews is crazy. Best of luck to you too, how'd the BMAT go for you? Also, you heard from Cardiff yet?
Original post by nurav11
Ahaha thanks but I don't have an interview :tongue:. Just preparing for the best case scenario I suppose... I know right, 500 out of 700 interviews is crazy. Best of luck to you too, how'd the BMAT go for you? Also, you heard from Cardiff yet?

Thanks. :smile: I'm too chicken to check my BMAT results so I don't know; I'm just going to wait for an interview/rejection. If I did check my scores, I think there's a strong likelihood that I'd be demoralised and I need to avoid that for my other interviews (should I get them). :redface:

Haven't heard anything from Cardiff yet. I'm sort of glad about that because I really don't want any interviews before Christmas. :s-smilie: What about you -- have you heard anything from Cardiff?
Original post by Hydeman
Thanks. :smile: I'm too chicken to check my BMAT results so I don't know; I'm just going to wait for an interview/rejection. If I did check my scores, I think there's a strong likelihood that I'd be demoralised and I need to avoid that for my other interviews (should I get them). :redface:

Haven't heard anything from Cardiff yet. I'm sort of glad about that because I really don't want any interviews before Christmas. :s-smilie: What about you -- have you heard anything from Cardiff?

Oh wow really?? Good luck to you keeping that up for the year :tongue:. I don't think you should be so downbeat on yourself but if that's your choice then fair enough, who knows if it went well you'd be kicking yourself for not seeing earlier aha.

Yeh exactly the same as you, haven't heard anything and I'm hoping I won't get an interview this year but that's mainly cos it'd clash with preparation for my Birmingham interview so hoping it'll come in the new year along with UCL :smile:. Fingers crossed.
Does anyone know how the BMAT averages of this years UCL applicants compare to last years?
Reply 159
I got an interview for the 16th December around 14:30 today!! So happy!! And I was asked for module grades a few days ago as well. Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending