The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tamara98
Je suis française (Marseille) d'origine libanaise, bonne chance ! :biggrin:

I'm not French but I wish I was!! Still waiting to hear about an interview... :0 What are you applying for? :wink:
Is anyone else here applying from Scotland?? I still don't know if I've got an interview but would it be better to fly down or take the train?
Original post by nhabib3
A question for the german blokes:

Guys I have a friend who took the TSA examination with me. We talk every once in a while he is applying for PPE at Magdalen's. Then, the subject of school grades come up and he tells me that he got an average of 2.4, I didnt want to say anything but I thought that you needed a 1.2 german average to apply for oxford. Am I missing something? Like is 2.4 a really high grade?

I'm a German myself: At least for physics, the minimum Abitur grade is supposed to be 1.5- however, as you might know, the grades you get in year 11/12 aren't weighted the same. So your friend might have 15 in all of his Leistungskurs and 0 in something like P.E. and could still achieve 1.5. It's very unlikely though, not sure :b
Original post by Tweald
I was reallocated from Brasenose to Univ and got an interview from them for Chemistry on Monday, you should hear soon :smile:

Thank you, you are giving me some hope!
Original post by VinnyThePooh
I'm a German myself: At least for physics, the minimum Abitur grade is supposed to be 1.5- however, as you might know, the grades you get in year 11/12 aren't weighted the same. So your friend might have 15 in all of his Leistungskurs and 0 in something like P.E. and could still achieve 1.5. It's very unlikely though, not sure :b

So he doesnt have a good chance of being accepted? He told me that his average is 2.4. I dont know what his grades are though, there arent any specific requirements for ppe, just the 1.5 average and tsa test. So what do you say?
Original post by nhabib3
So he doesnt have a good chance of being accepted? He told me that his average is 2.4. I dont know what his grades are though, there arent any specific requirements for ppe, just the 1.5 average and tsa test. So what do you say?

If he believes he has chance, he probably has (not being delusional or something :b)? That's actually the worst thing about the German system, because we need to take like 12 subjects over the period of two years and almost every subject has to be accounted for in the overall Abitur average grade, which is quite annoying (I HATE history, philosophy, politics etc.- which will ruin my grades). And he might have 2.4 this semester, but maybe all his other 3 semesters are 1.0- again unlikely, but not impossible... So yeah, good luck to both of you :smile:
Original post by nhabib3

Guys I have a friend who took the TSA examination with me. We talk every once in a while he is applying for PPE at Magdalen's. Then, the subject of school grades come up and he tells me that he got an average of 2.4, I didnt want to say anything but I thought that you needed a 1.2 german average to apply for oxford. Am I missing something? Like is 2.4 a really high grade?

2.4 is average.
Well on the website it says you need 1,5.
Original post by nhabib3

Oxford generally asks for 1.0 - 1.5 in the Abitur. Most people who I know have applied, including myself, had a prediction of about 1.2 or 1.3 and current grades between 1.2 and 1.8. The examinations at the end of the two years also counting towards your Abitur average count for 50%, I believe. Someone can pull up their average quite a bit by putting a lot of work into them - but raising by one entire grade? That's pretty unlikely, I believe.
I think Oxford put more weight into the predicted grades than your current ones, but which such a big gap I'd be slightly worried myself. The TSA is a medium the tutors at Oxford might understand a lot better than the German school system, though, so I believe he has a shot at being accepted in case he performed really well on it. Along with a good personal statement and reference, the tutors could believe him able to make that jump from 2.4 to 1.5 at least with his examinations. Hope that helped :smile:
Oh, forgot about that; I think 2.4 is around the national average of the Abitur, so it's considered alright - although not impressive.
Original post by ArtyQuell
May I ask for which subjects at St Edmund's Hall? I am waiting for an English interview from them and am a little on edge .. :s-smilie:

It was for Earth Science, it wasn't me though
Original post by lovecathy
Oxford generally asks for 1.0 - 1.5 in the Abitur. Most people who I know have applied, including myself, had a prediction of about 1.2 or 1.3 and current grades between 1.2 and 1.8. The examinations at the end of the two years also counting towards your Abitur average count for 50%, I believe. Someone can pull up their average quite a bit by putting a lot of work into them - but raising by one entire grade? That's pretty unlikely, I believe.
I think Oxford put more weight into the predicted grades than your current ones, but which such a big gap I'd be slightly worried myself. The TSA is a medium the tutors at Oxford might understand a lot better than the German school system, though, so I believe he has a shot at being accepted in case he performed really well on it. Along with a good personal statement and reference, the tutors could believe him able to make that jump from 2.4 to 1.5 at least with his examinations. Hope that helped :smile:
Oh, forgot about that; I think 2.4 is around the national average of the Abitur, so it's considered alright - although not impressive.

Ok thanks Hermione
Original post by Ruszty
It was for Earth Science, it wasn't me though

Ah I see, thanks for the info though. :smile:
Original post by nhabib3
Ok thanks Hermione

Sorry. Too much?
Reply 7012
Original post by em_lrob
I echo this - Univ what's going on???

Me too. Seems no one applied to univ for psychology.
Original post by lovecathy
Sorry. Too much?

No, it was actually really informative. So Thanks you :biggrin:
Mrs Granger
Original post by kolasinsia
Yeeeees! Just got an interview for History & Politics :biggrin:
But now I'm getting nervous just thinking about it..

Congrats! What college?
Reallocated to St Anne's for PPE (originally applied to Christ Church)
Anyone applied for ancient and modern history? I've applied trinity and got an interview today (nervous for it now though 😂)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hannahnairn
Anybody heard about History from Balliol?

Yay, another History at Balliol person! Same as me :smile: nope nothing as of yet although I'm not 'expecting' to have done since they're still in the process of shortlisting for most subjects according to that link they sent us (this one)-
https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/admissionsupdates
Good luck!!
Original post by Branwenn
I've got an interview from LMH

Lol, which one of the three?
Sweeeet.....so not only have I had to come back to England in the vain hope that I actually get an interview, but Easyjet left my suitcase in Paris. With all my A level notes, every book I mentioned on my PS, every note I ever wrote for anything in the world, and my laptop.

I know things could be worse, but my brain is starting to melt. :bricks:

Latest

Trending

Trending