The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men & An Inspector Calls

I really need revision notes - for example character's and key moments in both Of Mice and Men & An Inspector Calls, it would be really helpful because I have a mock exam in a week!
thanks!
Reply 1
there should be some stuff in the back of your Of Mice and Men book...
i threw all of my GCSE notes away sorry :/ but i'll bump you :3
I don't know anything about An Inspector Calls but I did Of Mice and Men for my GCSE lit exams and loved it and can remember bits about it so if you want any advice or help I can offer them :smile:
This is your golden ticket OP!
Reply 4
I still remember Of Mice & Men from my GCSEs... only too well... but it's really, really difficult to just write a succint summary of the entire cast and key moments. That would fill a whole lot of walls of text on here, buddy, which I doubt would please anyone!

I'm not sure if the question format has changed over the past year and a bit which is my main concern. If not, they generally had at least one question discussing an aspect of a particular (main, the most obscure ever offered being Slim) character. Aside from that, you'd get an extract from the text which you would also be challenged to discuss, linking its importance to the text as a whole. The last question to deal with is a bit more left-field, and I'm no tutor or expert so I'm not sure I could well help you on that count.

However, you need to ask yourself - how good are your extract analysis skills? Do you think you could think up (or blag) the significance of a few lines' description or dialogue? If not sure, I'd advise giving it a try by picking a page of the novel (okay, maybe not one as fairly insignificant as those discussing meeting the ranch owner), and seeing what you can spot and how it might compare to the grand scheme of things!

Aside from that; characters, if there's any of George, Lennie, Curley's Wife, Crooks, and at a lesser chance Curley and Slim, that you're having difficulty with - get back to us and I'll be happy to punt over some info about 'em.

Most of all, you're in the mock exam for the practice mainly and exam technique, so just don't panic and try to finish all the questions! :biggrin:
Also watch the film after you've read the book... I know it sounds stupid but the film is great sure but the book is where you need to be analyzing from and taking your quotes and films are never the same as the books!
Reply 6
The key idea of Inspector Calls was that the Birling's were in a man-made illusion created by the upper class, and the young ones were the only ones who were able to break it which shows hope for the future generations. At the end (when they get a phone call from the police) suggests that they were in a never ending punishment.- I based a lot of my essay on this idea and I got As every time I spoke about. Really focus on the little details that people miss, getting the highest marks is when you speak about things no one else has spoken about, it shows how much of a good analyzer you are. If you need any help, feel free to reply to me :smile:
Reply 7
Go to slideshare and search of mice and men or an inspector calls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending