The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Still second on my "To sell list" after Mignolet. He's got a lot of work to do to redeem himself. I imagine he'd lose his spot to Sakho as soon as the latter is fit.

We'll see how he gets on before the summer. With Skrtel ageing, I can see him being the first of our centre-backs shown the door to be honest.

Really looking forward to tonight. Klopp's got me excited about watching the Reds. I'm sitting in the Main Stand, though. FFS.
Original post by Mackay
We'll see how he gets on before the summer. With Skrtel ageing, I can see him being the first of our centre-backs shown the door to be honest.

Really looking forward to tonight. Klopp's got me excited about watching the Reds. I'm sitting in the Main Stand, though. FFS.

Skrtel only turns 31 next month. We can easily manage with him for another 2-3 years. He's been our most consistent defender whether form (compared to Lovren) or injuries (compared to Sakho).

K.Toure will be the CB we let go next summer. After that Klopp will need to decide on a new 4th choice CB. I think we'll then replace the worst of our first choice CBs with a better purchase. Why sell Skrtel if Lovren isn't seen as the long term option?

Least you get to see the game at Anfield. Must be freezing cold though!
Skrtel only turns 31 next month. We can easily manage with him for another 2-3 years. He's been our most consistent defender whether form (compared to Lovren) or injuries (compared to Sakho).

K.Toure will be the CB we let go next summer. After that Klopp will need to decide on a new 4th choice CB. I think we'll then replace the worst of our first choice CBs with a better purchase. Why sell Skrtel if Lovren isn't seen as the long term option?

Least you get to see the game at Anfield. Must be freezing cold though!

I would love to see Agger back...

But is 30 now so probably won't happen. Aren't Llori and Wisdom potential CBs anyway? I like how Klopp emphasizes on training rather than buying. I hope the two makes the cut.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
I would love to see Agger back...

But is 30 now so probably won't happen. Aren't Llori and Wisdom potential CBs anyway? I like how Klopp emphasizes on training rather than buying. I hope the two makes the cut.

Agger was sold because his body just can't handle the premier league. He was a good enough CB to play in any top league but he went to play in the Danish league. Even then he didn't manage that many games last season I think.
Agger was sold because his body just can't handle the premier league. He was a good enough CB to play in any top league but he went to play in the Danish league. Even then he didn't manage that many games last season I think.

I thought it was because he couldn't understand why Rodgers benched him :confused:

“When you are a part of the starting eleven for several games in a row and the team have performed well, and you feel that you have played well, then you are left out of the team and don’t feel appreciated, it starts to get pray on your mind and you wonder.

“Then at the same time you see the statistics from your game which are so important all around the world of football and you don’t understand why you weren’t used more often.”

I think the official reason for leaving Liverpool was that he couldn't handle the "English Football"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11112829/Agger-I-left-Liverpool-because-of-Rodgers.html
Original post by DiceTheSlice
I thought it was because he couldn't understand why Rodgers benched him :confused:

“When you are a part of the starting eleven for several games in a row and the team have performed well, and you feel that you have played well, then you are left out of the team and don’t feel appreciated, it starts to get pray on your mind and you wonder.

“Then at the same time you see the statistics from your game which are so important all around the world of football and you don’t understand why you weren’t used more often.”

I think the official reason for leaving Liverpool was that he couldn't handle the "English Football"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11112829/Agger-I-left-Liverpool-because-of-Rodgers.html

Could well be. He did seem to pick up a lot of niggles. Sakho is going to be better for us now than Agger anyway.
Interceptions
Under Klopp: 16 per game
Under BR: 13.6 per game

Tackles
Under Klopp: 28 per game
Under BR: 22 per game
Original post by Mackay
Interceptions
Under Klopp: 16 per game
Under BR: 13.6 per game

Tackles
Under Klopp: 28 per game
Under BR: 22 per game

What I found odd was under Rodgers, in his title challenge season, we actually did press high and intercept. Not sure why he changed from that after?
What I found odd was under Rodgers, in his title challenge season, we actually did press high and intercept. Not sure why he changed from that after?

It's interesting.

I'm unsure whether it was a planned approach, a lack of desire among the side once Sturridge became injured and we lacked an effective talismanic presence in the final third, an amalgamation of the two, or the fact we didn't have the right personnel.

Losing Suarez and Sturridge both obviously had an effect.
Original post by Mackay
It's interesting.

I'm unsure whether it was a planned approach, a lack of desire among the side once Sturridge became injured and we lacked an effective talismanic presence in the final third, an amalgamation of the two, or the fact we didn't have the right personnel.

Losing Suarez and Sturridge both obviously had an effect.

I guess when you go from Suarez to Lambert/Balotelli you have to accept you won't press from the front. But then why didn't we buy someone who we can press with or play Borini?

Anyway Klopp's approach to play has been much more like what I've wanted to see for a few years now so I'm happy.

Hoping we can start a good run of wins now. Klopp was saying it would be great to see us thrash an opposition team at Anfield.

Hoping we can start a good run of wins now. Klopp was saying it would be great to see us thrash an opposition team at Anfield.

This is the next step for sure.

I'm sick of us scoring and conceding within 15 minutes, or losing a late goal to a set-piece. There's such an inevitability about it all, and it's frustrating as ****.

This weekend was so different to that. I loved watching Liverpool, and I have done since we played Sion away (albeit we lost the Palace game, but I still felt entertained).

Off to the match shortly. Come on the Reds.
Original post by Mackay
This is the next step for sure.

I'm sick of us scoring and conceding within 15 minutes, or losing a late goal to a set-piece. There's such an inevitability about it all, and it's frustrating as ****.

This weekend was so different to that. I loved watching Liverpool, and I have done since we played Sion away (albeit we lost the Palace game, but I still felt entertained).

Off to the match shortly. Come on the Reds.

So jealous! Not been to Anfield since February and probably not so likely to go again any time soon.
Sturridge out with a foot problem.... watch him be out for 6 months.

Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Allen, Milner, Ibe, Firmino, Benteke

Subs: Bogdan, Lallana, Can, Origi, Skrtel, Brannagan, Randall

Seems Coutinho not available, team changed last min?
(edited 8 years ago)
So jealous! Not been to Anfield since February and probably not so likely to go again any time soon.

I'm on the way there as well :biggrin:
Original post by mr tim
Seems Coutinho not available, team changed last min?

I was surprised to see him in the team, didn't he tweak his hamstring against City?
I guess Coutinho is being rested for this weekend, no point risking him if he has a minor hamstring injury.

The team has more than enough quality to despatch Bordeaux. I'm hoping for a 3-0 win. :smile:
Rubin Kazan beat Sion earlier meaning we can go top if we win, and we'll qualify to the KO stages.
Sturridge is just top banter.
Loooool Mignolet.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING MIGNOLET?!

We're lucky that Bordeaux suck...

Latest