The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot

Hello everybody,
I am going to be applying to join the RAF as a pilot in the future.

I understand that there are already threads detailing the OASC and various other parts of the application process, but I want to know things that people who have gone through the process, or are in the process, have found helpful.
I attended a Careers interview in July at my local AFCO and want to post on here to obtain as much information as I can. Over the past few months I have been scouring the web for information on this career path, I have books and online material that is similar to the questions and interviews encountered during the application process. I have conducted a fair amount of research into the organisation and the equipment they use, but still need to consolidate this information and also read up more on the current affairs.

To apply for the role you need 2 A-Levels at Grade C and to be aged at least 17.5 years old. I would like to know if anyone has applied for this role at a similar age (as a sixth form leaver) and how the application went.

Overall I am just looking for general advice and if people had found applying at an older age (as apposed to 17.5) to put them in better stead.
Thanks, Dan :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just thought I would add that I am in my second year of Sixth Form
Original post by dan208

I understand that there are already threads detailing the OASC and various other parts of the application process, but I want to know things that people who have gone through the process, or are in the process, have found helpful.

Overall I am just looking for general advice and if people had found applying at an older age (as apposed to 17.5) to put them in better stead.

General advice. Read the threads you evidently haven't yet read. Then come back with more specific questions to fill in the blanks in your knowledge that rise up from having read the threads. Then you'll get help.
Reply 3
Original post by dan208
Hello everybody,

I attended a Careers interview in July at my local AFCO and want to post on here to obtain as much information as I can. Over the past few months I have been scouring the web for information on this career path, I have books and online material that is similar to the questions and interviews encountered during the application process. I have conducted a fair amount of research into the organisation and the equipment they use, but still need to consolidate this information and also read up more on the current affairs.

To apply for the role you need 2 A-Levels at Grade C and to be aged at least 17.5 years old. I would like to know if anyone has applied for this role at a similar age (as a sixth form leaver) and how the application went.

I recently had aptitude testing at cranwell. There were quite a few school leavers going for pilot there, but of the relatively small number I spoke to afterwards, none passed. I don't know if this had anything to do with their age.

It might be worth getting a degree or working for a few years before applying. This will give the opportunity to develop relevant skills. As you probably well know, competition is intense for a few places. At 17.5 it's unlikely that you'll be able to compete in terms of life experience against the slightly older candidates. Not to say it can't be done, just realistically speaking.

Note I can't really qualify the above, it's just my experience from speaking to candidates at aptitude and oasc. Some of the people on here are in a better place to answer.
A surprising amount of pilots on my IOT are straight out of a-levels.

My advice would be to continue your application for pilot, see if you pass CBAT. Then use university as a backup
Reply 5
Original post by pjm600
I recently had aptitude testing at cranwell. There were quite a few school leavers going for pilot there, but of the relatively small number I spoke to afterwards, none passed. I don't know if this had anything to do with their age.

It might be worth getting a degree or working for a few years before applying. This will give the opportunity to develop relevant skills. As you probably well know, competition is intense for a few places. At 17.5 it's unlikely that you'll be able to compete in terms of life experience against the slightly older candidates. Not to say it can't be done, just realistically speaking.

Note I can't really qualify the above, it's just my experience from speaking to candidates at aptitude and oasc. Some of the people on here are in a better place to answer.

Thank you, this was the kind of info I was looking for, but not quite the answers I was hoping to get. I think I will try the Aptitude tests and see how I do, if I fail, take some time to either go to university or work as you suggested. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anderson134353

My advice would be to continue your application for pilot, see if you pass CBAT. Then use university as a backup

Thank you for this, I will follow your advice and see how I do. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by dan208
Thank you, this was the kind of info I was looking for, but not quite the answers I was hoping to get. I think I will try the Aptitude tests and see how I do, if I fail, take some time to either go to university or work as you suggested. :smile:

That's probably the best way of going about it, good luck!

Completely agree with this advice, the RAF like pilots younger as you're aptitude is in theory higher and you can adapt and learn better

Posted from TSR Mobile
The RAF want you younger because they can get more out of you. :wink:

As for Aptitudes, the more you do them the more you can feel comfortable completing them - even if you can only take them once every 12 months. Statistically I think the peak age is 22, which is possibly a combination of natural development of aptitude facets being tested and the repeat nature of some of the candidates by that age.
Original post by teasin_tina
Completely agree with this advice, the RAF like pilots younger as you're aptitude is in theory higher and you can adapt and learn better

Posted from TSR Mobile

However they also want officers with maturity. I think if you surveyed all the pilots who've entered in the past 5 years you'd find the majority, probably the vast majority, are graduates.
Reply 11
Original post by dan208
Hello everybody,

Hi Dan,
I'm currently in the application process for Pilot (OASC coming up soon) and I was just out of sixth form myself. I passed my CBAT and I believe my A-Levels were a major factor in this, having done Maths and Physics helped me a lot. Also, the CBAT is supposed to test natural ability.

Coming out of my first interview I was told not to think myself insignificant because of my age, just try to get as much experience as possible, so email various flight stations asking for station visits etc...

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people apply for the RAF coming out of university air squadrons etc... and so seemingly have an advantage.
Any questions feel free to ask
Original post by Drewski
However they also want officers with maturity. I think if you surveyed all the pilots who've entered in the past 5 years you'd find the majority, probably the vast majority, are graduates.

2 years - before that there was the great black hole of (almost) nothingness after the SDSR cull!

The stat is almost certainly correct though, but skewed by the part of the cadre who would have applied at 18/19 (and may or may not have been successful). Many of these subsequently went off to get a degree while they waited for the door to open again, as it eventually did in mid '13. Some of course went off to get proper jobs in the meantime. I'd venture we've still got a slightly graduate heavy intake though, and will continue to do so.
Hi,
I am just about to book in a date for my CBAT and I am just wondering if this just the test stage or will I have my interview then too?
Reply 14
Original post by MichaelGray9
Hi,
I am just about to book in a date for my CBAT and I am just wondering if this just the test stage or will I have my interview then too?

The first visit to Cranwell is just for the testing stage. If you pass CBAT you will be invited to a Selection interview at your AFCO. Pass that, then you will have a medical with CAPITA as close to your home as possible. Then... you go back to Cranwell for the exercise phase of OASC! I'm currently at the medical stage. Best of luck to you!
Original post by lje95
The first visit to Cranwell is just for the testing stage. If you pass CBAT you will be invited to a Selection interview at your AFCO. Pass that, then you will have a medical with CAPITA as close to your home as possible. Then... you go back to Cranwell for the exercise phase of OASC! I'm currently at the medical stage. Best of luck to you!

Thanks that was really helpful, best of luck to you too!
Reply 16
Original post by MichaelGray9
Thanks that was really helpful, best of luck to you too!

Glad to be of help! Make sure you do attempt all questions in the SDT sticky. I failed my first CBAT attempt, but improved by 53 marks at my second attempt a year and a half later! I put it down to that sticky!
Original post by lje95
Glad to be of help! Make sure you do attempt all questions in the SDT sticky. I failed my first CBAT attempt, but improved by 53 marks at my second attempt a year and a half later! I put it down to that sticky!

53 marks is an impressive jump. Well done on putting the work in.
Reply 18
53 marks is an impressive jump. Well done on putting the work in.

Thanks a lot! I spent about 2 months prior to CBAT doing SDT almost every day... was so glad that it paid off! It's all about finding your own technique that works quickest for you, in my opinion :biggrin:
I'm headed for the first apptitude testing at RAF cranwell soon. I think they changed the application process structure recenty... can one of you guys link me to the best practice tests available for preparation?

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest