The Student Room Group

Immigration hits the highest ever level in history... again

The latest immigration stats show immigration has hit the highest ever levels yet again

-636,000 came in 1 year (336,000 net, the size of Coventry).
-862,000 immigrants registered for NI numbers in 1 year
-There was also a gigantic increase in Romanian and Bulgarian immigration as UKIP predicted & those 2 small countries accounted for 21% of all EU immigration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34931725

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/12017896/Government-braced-for-more-damaging-numbers-on-immigration-live.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/622273/immigration-figures-records-UK-smashed-EU-eastern-europeans-flock-to-Britain

Scroll to see replies

Is this good or bad?
@Bill Gates
Reply 2
I am happy. What century do we live in? Its 21st century !
Borders, Nations etc. These are all man made. The world belongs all humans. I should be able to visit any part of the world with out any problems
Original post by eoe
Borders, Nations etc. These are all man made. The world belongs all humans. I should be able to visit any part of the world with out any problems

Visit or migrate to.
Original post by queen-bee
Is this good or bad?
@Bill Gates

It is good if you want 600,000 people using A&E because they aren't registered with GPs.

It is excellent if you want another 20 square miles of British countryside covered with roads and housing.

Superb if you want foreign investment to be used to suck in labour from overseas rather than improving productivity and wages in the UK.

Absolutely ecstatic if you like the ethnic minorities who were the previous wave of migrants to be made permanently unemployed.

Fantastic if you want rentals and hence property prices to go through the roof.

Best of all it gives all of those racists who love chucking ethnic minorities out of work, and evil villains who want dark satanic mills over the whole country a chance to put on their halos and call everyone else racist.
We've come along way from the feudal system, where the majority of people were tied to a particular scrap of land.

I really like open borders borders. It's a two way process. As much as others may migrate here, it allows those with initiative to migrate to countries with better standard of living than the UK.
Reply 6
Original post by caravaggio2
Visit or migrate to.

The word migration ur visit is man made. the world belongs to me and to you and everyone else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eoe

Such horrifying racism. This desire to destroy all the wonderful differences and diversity in human culture is simply evil.
Original post by newpersonage
Such horrifying racism. This desire to destroy all the wonderful differences and diversity in human culture is simply evil.

Neglecting the fact that they are white European immigrants, so nothing much to do with diversity, and many of whom, in contrast to your vision, harbour plenty of racial prejudice of their own, in act often far more than the white British people. I'm getting sick of utopian liberals living in a fantasy world, blind to reality and not prepared to listen to alternative views and not realising the damage they are causing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quantex
We've come along way from the feudal system, where the majority of people were tied to a particular scrap of land.

I really like open borders borders. It's a two way process. As much as others may migrate here, it allows those with initiative to migrate to countries with better standard of living than the UK.

You have stated that you believe the land does not need protecting. in literature you would be an Orc from Mordor, a foul, evil being that has no grasp of the aesthetic beauty of the land and no grasp of the beauty of nature.
There is some truly foul Internationalism on this thread. Cant they see that if the whole world is completely open for movement and exploitation it will become homogenised and infinitely poorer in culture and civilisation? That if the world has a single government this will inevitably become corrupt and usher in a dark age for mankind?
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Neglecting the fact that they are white European immigrants, so nothing much to do with diversity, and many of whom, in constrast to your vision, harbour plenty of racial prejudice of their own, in act often far more than the white British people. I'm getting sick of utopian liberals living in a fantasy world, blind to reality and not prepared to listen to alternative views and not realising the damage they are causing.

Removing all borders removes National diversity and eventually removes cultural diversity. The Internationalist barbarians have no cultural awareness.
It is good if you want 600,000 people using A&E because they aren't registered with GPs.

It is excellent if you want another 20 square miles of British countryside covered with roads and housing.

Superb if you want foreign investment to be used to suck in labour from overseas rather than improving productivity and wages in the UK.

Absolutely ecstatic if you like the ethnic minorities who were the previous wave of migrants to be made permanently unemployed.

Fantastic if you want rentals and hence property prices to go through the roof.

Best of all it gives all of those racists who love chucking ethnic minorities out of work, and evil villains who want dark satanic mills over the whole country a chance to put on their halos and call everyone else racist.

So what are you proposing then?
There is some truly foul Internationalism on this thread. Cant they see that if the whole world is completely open for movement and exploitation it will become homogenised and infinitely poorer in culture and civilisation? That if the world has a single government this will inevitably become corrupt and usher in a dark age for mankind?

I believe you are referring to assimilation, which if forced, can lead to the conditions you describe.
Original post by queen-bee
Is this good or bad?
@Bill Gates

Good news but not the type of immigration i would prefer. I would open the UK up to the rest of the world and attract people with money and skills but most important of all work ethic!

Can't blame whichever government is in power increasing immigration the work ethic here is poor.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
So what are you proposing then?

These truly are epic levels of migration, as high as those into the whole continent of North America in the 19th Century. Certainly there will be a population at which no-one will want to come and this will stop further migration. If we become like some parts of India where the overcrowding is so extreme that people risk death to escape then no more migrants will come.

Alternatively we could stop before the country is destroyed. However, this will mean that the country will still be attractive to migrants so migration will have to be controlled.

A sensible limit is to control migration so that the population does not expand. The UK is going to have 70m inhabitants in 20 years whatever happens but it must not be allowed to grow any further than this. Surely no-one could want 100m people in the UK (mostly in England) so that the whole place is urbanised and nature destroyed?

300,000 migrants per annum would be ample for this small island. If global warming goes over 2 degrees then there will be deaths amongst our children because the land will not provide and there will be no food elsewhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheArtofProtest
I believe you are referring to assimilation, which if forced, can lead to the conditions you describe.

Assimilation is inevitable. The only way you could have the same cultural diversity as, say, between Egypt and the USA, would be to have borders around an area and fill it with Egyptians (ie: to create a country within a country). Look round the world, nation states largely harbour cultural diversity.

What on earth is wrong with Nation States peacefully cooperating? Where has this drive for homogenization come from? I know that every so often there is an imperial insanity that sweeps over a people, perhaps this is happening in the West.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bill_Gates
Good news but not the type of immigration i would prefer. I would open the UK up to the rest of the world and attract people with money and skills but most important of all work ethic!

Can't blame whichever government is in power increasing immigration the work ethic here is poor.

You have no love of the land, hoping to destroy it with urbanisation. What do you believe in? You come across as a monster who dreams of harnessing every human resource to the maximum amount of work.
These truly are epic levels of migration, as high as those into the whole continent of North America in the 19th Century. Certainly there will be a population at which no-one will want to come and this will stop further migration. If we become like some parts of India where the overcrowding is so extreme that people risk death to escape then no more migrants will come.

Alternatively we could stop before the country is destroyed. However, this will mean that the country will still be attractive to migrants so migration will have to be controlled.

A sensible limit is to control migration so that the population does not expand. The UK is going to have 70m inhabitants in 20 years whatever happens but it must not be allowed to grow any further than this. Surely no-one could want 100m people in the UK (mostly in England) so that the whole place is urbanised and nature destroyed?

300,000 migrants per annum would be ample for this small island. If global warming goes over 2 degrees then there will be deaths amongst our children because the land will not provide and there will be no food elsewhere.

Far too logical and non-self destructive. Plus anyone who suggests it will be called bigoted. Can't find the f'in rolleyes btw.
Hopefully a step towards a vote to leave the EU when the referendum comes.

Quick Reply

Latest