The Student Room Group

What do you wish you'd known...

Scroll to see replies

I know what you mean. It's whether or not they will do that?
Original post by Frostyjoe
I know what you mean. It's whether or not they will do that?

Keep trying, it's still early days. You've got another 3-4 years at uni so there's plenty of time to make friends
I just get anxious when i'm lonely on weekends or when I see other people in groups. It seems like everyone has friends already.
Original post by Frostyjoe
I just get anxious when i'm lonely on weekends or when I see other people in groups. It seems like everyone has friends already.

I know what anxiety feels like. I've had panic attacks while at uni because I get scared the friends I do have will walk out on me and I'll end up alone like I have been for the vast majority of my life. You just have to push things in the first weeks and make things happen otherwise your worries will simply become a self fulfilling prophecy. Also, once you have a good group of friends, you won't worry about other groups of friends.
Reply 104
Original post by z33
hahaha awhhh dw idk how to reply to compliments either haha :tongue:

ikr! i hope i get to see some youtubers backstage :wink: :tongue:
and yeah i know everyone makes it sound like the worst thing ever but i still wanna experience it haha - would put everything into perspective and make my life seem really good :tongue:
yuppp!! it's gonna be awesome though :biggrin:

So funny it's like yeah we receive so much compliments and every time we don't know how to reply to them, arrhhh, life's troubles
:wink:

So luckyyyy if you doooooo
Aha same !!
Yup, awesome awesome awesome :biggrin:
Reply 105
Original post by lbonnet
So funny it's like yeah we receive so much compliments and every time we don't know how to reply to them, arrhhh, life's troubles
:wink:

So luckyyyy if you doooooo
Aha same !!
Yup, awesome awesome awesome :biggrin:

Haha true true :tongue:
I know omg i will DIE if i met any of my favourite youtubers! :biggrin:
So excited :3
Reply 106
Original post by z33
Haha true true :tongue:
I know omg i will DIE if i met any of my favourite youtubers! :biggrin:
So excited :3

Who are your favourite youtubers ? I'm curious :3
Another thing, for language applicants especially. I've noticed when talking to people starting uni to study languages, they expect to watch the occasional foreign film, go on their year abroad and just swan around the odd café and come back fluent. A lot of people fail to realise just how much work it actually is, despite the low numbers of contact hours. You'll get crazy amount of vocab every week, and you'll have to learn even more in independent study. Also, you'll cover so many grammar points in a very short amount of time, so there's that to stay on top of too. Culture modules also require a lot of reading, with around 10 sources to be expected for a 1,500 word essay, and it's common you'll take at least two culture modules a semester.

For the year abroad, it's often the case you'll have to sort out your own accommodation, phone contracts, medical check ups and any necessary resident permits, often in places where little English is spoken. This is incredibly daunting but doable if you did well before you went

Don't mean to scare anyone applying for languages, but it is a lot more intense than people think.
How to write academically, as a postgrad student I recently had a look at my first year undergrad essays and they were not good (weak arguments, poor referencing, poor structure etc.) I'm amazed how far I've come since then as it massively improved over the following two years. I wish I knew how to write to a postgrad standard before I started my Masters but I'll find out when I get the feedback for my first essay.
Reply 109
Original post by lbonnet
Who are your favourite youtubers ? I'm curious :3

Well i like PewDiePie (been a fan since 2011)
Used to love Smosh (was a fan from like 2008-2012)
Shane Dawson I also like
Joey Graceffa
Gigi Gorgeous
Used to watch the vloggers (CTFXC, BfvsGf etc.)
Onision
Joe Weller
OMG Brandon Rogers he is SOOOO offensive but SO funny ! X'D not PG AT ALL

Spoiler

Jacksfilms (used to like Tobuscus too but now he's a bit too crazy for me haha)
Oh! Good Mythical Morning's Rhett and Link :3
I like cryaotic he's funny
ILOVE NERDY NUMMIES
AND MAMRIE
I love Tyler Oakley's laugh :3
ummm - I like Glam and Gore and Pinkstylist but they do more Halloween make up tutorials

loads of youtubers really... what about you? haha
Reply 110
Original post by Hugs31
How to write academically, as a postgrad student I recently had a look at my first year undergrad essays and they were not good (weak arguments, poor referencing, poor structure etc.) I'm amazed how far I've come since then as it massively improved over the following two years. I wish I knew how to write to a postgrad standard before I started my Masters but I'll find out when I get the feedback for my first essay.

would you say the EPQ would be good practice for that?
Original post by z33
would you say the EPQ would be good practice for that?

I wouldn't know sorry, I never took an EPQ.
Reply 112
Original post by Hugs31
I wouldn't know sorry, I never took an EPQ.

that's okay thanks anyway :biggrin:
I would have liked to know that it is very much like school. Registers, attendance is monitored actively and we have to take subjects we didn't choose to do.
Reply 114
Original post by z33
Well i like PewDiePie (been a fan since 2011)
Used to love Smosh (was a fan from like 2008-2012)
Shane Dawson I also like
Joey Graceffa
Gigi Gorgeous
Used to watch the vloggers (CTFXC, BfvsGf etc.)
Onision
Joe Weller
OMG Brandon Rogers he is SOOOO offensive but SO funny ! X'D not PG AT ALL

Spoiler

Jacksfilms (used to like Tobuscus too but now he's a bit too crazy for me haha)
Oh! Good Mythical Morning's Rhett and Link :3
I like cryaotic he's funny
ILOVE NERDY NUMMIES
AND MAMRIE
I love Tyler Oakley's laugh :3
ummm - I like Glam and Gore and Pinkstylist but they do more Halloween make up tutorials

loads of youtubers really... what about you? haha

Aaah PewDiePie, he's a classic ! I like Joey Graceffa, It's been a while since I haven't watch one of his videos though, I should go and catch up rn aha
And Tyler Oakley's laugh is amaaaazing ahaha
Apart from those 3 I'm afraid I don't know any of your favourite youtubers :frown:
I'm more watching Doodleoddle's videos, meowitslucy, Savannah Brown, Hannah Witton, ThatcherJoe, sometimes booksandquils, Erik Conover's vlog channel (sooooo great) and Casey Neistat's videos... And obviously French youtubers as well :biggrin:
Reply 115
Original post by lbonnet
Aaah PewDiePie, he's a classic ! I like Joey Graceffa, It's been a while since I haven't watch one of his videos though, I should go and catch up rn aha
And Tyler Oakley's laugh is amaaaazing ahaha
Apart from those 3 I'm afraid I don't know any of your favourite youtubers :frown:
I'm more watching Doodleoddle's videos, meowitslucy, Savannah Brown, Hannah Witton, ThatcherJoe, sometimes booksandquils, Erik Conover's vlog channel (sooooo great) and Casey Neistat's videos... And obviously French youtubers as well :biggrin:

hmmm haven't heard of any of them except Joe :/ lol
Original post by truechristian91
depends, if you build on it then you probably will remember but i switched to a pharmacy based phd so forgot a lot of the basic chemistry :P

hi i was wondering if there's any development or testing of pharma products on campus ??

Quick Reply

Latest