The Student Room Group

Tammy: 11 year old prepubescent boy undergoing gender reassignment.

Although this occured back in 2011, it still raises questions of controversial gender reassignment surgery.

Tammy, previously Thomas, was unable to speak about his "I'm a girl" feelings due to a speech impediment; his parents, both lesbians, "are adamant they have not pressurised him into making the decision to become a girl" (Huffington Post, 2011).

"At age seven, after threatening genital mutilation on himself, psychiatrists diagnosed Thomas with gender identity disorder. By age eight, he began transitioning."

The question here is whether it is right for a child to undergo such lifechanging surgeries at such a young age. If not, at what age should it be allowed?

You can find the article in its entirety @ http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/09/30/the-litle-boy-who-started-a-sex-change-aged-eight_n_7384790.html

What are thoughts on this case in particular and gender dysphoria / sex change in general?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Live and Let Live
Simple
I dont have an opinion, to be honest because I do not know much about this topic.
You might also be interested in watching Sargon of Akkad's personal take on it @https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noMMVUfRv5A

He's someone I follow frequently on YouTube and he covers a lot of other social topics on his YouTube account.
Original post by eoe
Live and Let Live
Simple
I dont have an opinion, to be honest because I do not know much about this topic.

Sure, but it doesn't take away the fact how controversial this topic is.

I find it hard to believe 8 year olds can make decisions about gender reassignment by their own. Especially in this case where it's in fact the parents who made the choice.
I generally don't have an opinion this topic. But 8 does seem very young.
Thats great to hear. Its pretty horrifying when all these kids have to wait until after they have reached puberty to have the surgery, its basically torture.

There is nothing controversial about this, unless you are transphobic.
Original post by The Blue Axolotl
Sure, but it doesn't take away the fact how controversial this topic is.

I find it hard to believe 8 year olds can make decisions about gender reassignment by their own. Especially in this case where it's in fact the parents who made the choice.

Well, the 8 year old isn't the one that makes the decision. It is the parent that makes the decision and takes responsibility.

The child has a disorder. Considering the severity of his issues, this is the best known treatment. I doubt they would just agree to this readily.
Reply 7
By age 8? Seriously?
That's shocking.
Original post by driftawaay
Thats great to hear. Its pretty horrifying when all these kids have to wait until after they have reached puberty to have the surgery, its basically torture.

INB4 the rest of the "transphobic!" band wagon arrives!

You simply can't accuse someone of transphobia for having an opinion which doesn't match your own. Don't resort to black-and-white logical fallicies, please.

The controversy of this is the age, shouldn't we wait until he/she recognises the full extent of gender reassignment. There is also a controversy on how the parents had the say and not their kid.

Torture would be ripping off there genitals and then realising they made a mistake.
(edited 8 years ago)
His 8 tho lel.
Original post by HAnwar
By age 8? Seriously?
That's shocking.

There have been other cases of this too. One in which the child grew up to regret the decision made for him. I will try and find the article for it.
INB4 the rest of the "transphobic!" band wagon arrives!

You simply can't accuse someone of transphobia for having an opinion which doesn't match your own. Don't resort to black-and-white logical fallicies, please.

The controversy of this is the age, shouldn't we wait until he/she recognises the full extent of gender reassignment. There is also a controversy on how the parents had the say and not their kid.

Torture would be ripping of there genitals and then realising they made a mistake.

No one is ripping off any genitals. They are delaying puberty. He has many years to decide what he would like to.

It isn't that controversial. He is 8 years old. His viewpoint was clear when he threatened to cut his own genitals off.
Original post by driftawaay

Uses ____________-phobic to rebut any coherent arguments against one's position
Reply 13
There have been other cases of this too. One in which the child grew up to regret the decision made for him. I will try and find the article for it.

Can't say I'm suprised.
Original post by HAnwar
By age 8? Seriously?
That's shocking.
At the age of 6 I couldn't decide if I was a Lala or a Tinky Winky.

At the age of 16 I couldn't decide if I was a Zayne or Harry fangirl.

At the age of 19 I still can't decide if I should get bangs.

But sure, trust an 8-year old's clarity of thought and his decisions.
Original post by DorianGrayism
No one is ripping off any genitals. They are delaying puberty. He has many years to decide what he would like to.

It isn't that controversial. He is 8 years old. His viewpoint was clear when he threatened to cut his own genitals off.

Fair points, but I do think his parents had a lot more say in this than he did and that's what truly disgusts me.
Reply 16
Original post by Bupdeeboowah

Lol ridiculous isn't it.

My little sister's 10 and she still doesn't know whether she wants to build her Minecraft house out of wood or stone :cry2:
Reply 18
I'm so glad that we, as a society, have reached a stage of progressivism that we are now allowing 8 year olds to undergo irreversible surgery for resolving potential temporary conflicts. Fantastic.
Uses ____________-phobic to rebut any coherent arguments against one's position

SJWs are all the same.

Godwin's Law is strong with her and them all.

Quick Reply

Latest