The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Absorbaloff
One of the most important reasons I did nursing was because it was free. Pretty sure everyone knows this will cause a huge fall in nursing applications and slowly they will trickle this out to other vocational courses

Original post by Quilverine
But they're not doing medicine. So many of them will be Band 5 or 6 forever. When you earn under 30/35k the chances are you need every pound. Also the loan is a one shot deal unless you're specifically doing GEM. The average age of student nurses is 28, a huge proportion do it as a second degree. That entire demographic will be prevented from accessing the course because saving 27k for fees is not doable for people with families or on a low to average income.

On the plus side for us- it might mean they have to allow second loans to people applying to healthcare subjects. Maybe A100 will be one of them.

Yeah - to be clear I meant it doesn't make a difference to me personally, and for medicine, assuming I actually live long enough to make a consultant's salary.
It definitely would make a difference if I was still thinking about nursing. Especially once you realize you can work half as hard and get twice paid as much in some AHP jobs!
Got an interview today!!! This is my first one so I'm extra pumped right now

I feel like I can actually start preparing my interview techniques properly now
Original post by Natha_Lite
Got an interview today!!! This is my first one so I'm extra pumped right now

I feel like I can actually start preparing my interview techniques properly now

Where for?
Original post by lyra1987
Where for?

Manchester, for the 5 year course
Original post by CharlieGEM
I thought the bursaries for nursing were being replaced by loans that were 25% more generous than the original provisions?

If this is the case, as someone who seriously thought about mental health nursing as an option instead of GEM, if GEM was no longer an option I would probably take the loans and do mental health nursing.

There are bound to be plenty of graduates in the same boat for whom a 22-35 k salary in some part of the country that you have a fair amount of control over (at the moment anyway) with additional student loans to repay is worth more than what they have already. I guess the government might be thinking along these lines.

But as a grad haven't you already had a student loan? The grants were available to anyone taking the course, which was why they were able to attract so many people who were already graduates. Are SFE likely to double someones debt to an amount that is going to be impossible to repay on a Band 5 or 6 salary? Say someone does french first and has 45k owning from that, applies to nursing and ends up with a 90k debt. On a 35k a year job you repay £1260 per anum of that out in loan repayment, over 30 years you haven't even repaid debt from loan 1. You would need to average a salary of over 55k a year over 30 years to repay the amount (excluding interest). GEM grads are reasonably likely to be in a position to repay 90k of debt in the time period

The three years studying may be financially more comfortable for students though under the new scheme.
But as a grad haven't you already had a student loan? The grants were available to anyone taking the course, which was why they were able to attract so many people who were already graduates. Are SFE likely to double someones debt to an amount that is going to be impossible to repay on a Band 5 or 6 salary? Say someone does french first and has 45k owning from that, applies to nursing and ends up with a 90k debt. On a 35k a year job you repay £1260 per anum of that out in loan repayment, over 30 years you haven't even repaid debt from loan 1. You would need to average a salary of over 55k a year over 30 years to repay the amount (excluding interest). GEM grads are reasonably likely to be in a position to repay 90k of debt in the time period

The three years studying may be financially more comfortable for students though under the new scheme.

Indeed I have had a student loan. I think in your calculations you neglect that the 35k will rise with inflation and be more like a 70k salary at the end. Probably still not enough even to repay the nursing loan though I agree with interest at 7%.

On the flip side though, as things stand the chance of SFE seeing anymore than a token gesture toward my initial student loan is virtually zero. Things might change if I don't get a place on a GEM course but I doubt it. So versus giving me a bursary or having me doing work that contributes very little to the economy, is it not an improvement that I part fund a vocational degree and contribute more to the economy?
Who knows, I just hope it doesn't shut doors for all the people who realise they want to work in healthcare once they become adults.
Who knows, I just hope it doesn't shut doors for all the people who realise they want to work in healthcare once they become adults.

Absolutely. I don't support what the government is doing by the way far from it.
Anyone not on the Newcastle thread, I have an interview with Durham for A100 (N & D use same cut off).

Grad with UKCAT 692.5

Anyone else binge watching house??? 😂😂😂
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by treenyc
Anyone not on the Newcastle thread, I have an interview with Durham for A100 (N & D use same cut off).

Grad with UKCAT 692.5

Anyone else binge watching house??? 😂😂😂

*puts hand up*

Only started fairly recently! Up to S2E8.

Well done on the interview!
Original post by ah639
*puts hand up*

Only started fairly recently! Up to S2E8.

Well done on the interview!

Thanks !! I'm one episode behind you hahahaha! You would think that I would be sick of anything medicine related fictional or otherwise. However, it's a bloody obsession!
Original post by treenyc
Thanks !! I'm one episode behind you hahahaha! You would think that I would be sick of anything medicine related fictional or otherwise. However, it's a bloody obsession!

It really is addictive, we binge watched the entire program a few months ago!
Original post by HanaGEM
X

Original post by treenyc
X

Don't worry, I've just started doing the same thing! I keep telling myself it kinda counts as revision... :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LostInYourMusic
Don't worry, I've just started doing the same thing! I keep telling myself it kinda counts as revision... :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's certainly a good way to learn bedside manner, teamwork and proper use of IT resources....:tongue:
Hoping that Swansea contacts us today! Does anyone have any idea about when Liverpool are planning to make contact?? Good luck to everyone for interviews and further offers!
Original post by CharlieGEM
Well it's certainly a good way to learn bedside manner, teamwork and proper use of IT resources....:tongue:

I just feel clever when I know words they say :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xangelspawnx
Hoping that Swansea contacts us today! Does anyone have any idea about when Liverpool are planning to make contact?? Good luck to everyone for interviews and further offers!

Surely Swansea will contact us today!
Any second slot of interview emails from Aberdeen?
Original post by LostInYourMusic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Likewise!!! 😂😂😂
interview from birmingham... so happy i have a chance somewhere!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending