The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why would you feel that way?
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
Why would you feel that way?

Limit the power of the government and political parties.
Reply 3
Original post by william walker
Limit the power of the government and political parties.

By giving it back to a group of undemocratically elected individuals? Yeah, no.
Original post by Arkasia
By giving it back to a group of undemocratically elected individuals? Yeah, no.

No they aren't individuals. The Monarchy, Church and Aristocracy are institutions. The same way the government is an institution, who's power can only be constrained by other institutions.
Reply 5
No they aren't individuals. The Monarchy, Church and Aristocracy are institutions. The same way the government is an institution, who's power can only be constrained by other institutions.

Give up on the pedantry, my point still stands. Why take power away from the democratically elected and give it to unelected institutions?
Original post by Arkasia
Give up on the pedantry, my point still stands. Why take power away from the democratically elected and give it to unelected institutions?

Because the institutions of the government and house of commons exist regardless of democratic elections. So with this in mind, you can't have a governmental system which has justice, liberty and freedom without a power balance between the institutions of the state. As each constrains others power and stop one institutions or institutions within the nation becoming all powerful and taking away Liberty and Justice. Right now no institution is a check on the power of the government and political parties. They do as they please. If you want to limit the governments power you must use the High Tory institutions and restore there powers and ability to limit the government. Increasing democracy will simply lead to greater tyranny.
Reply 7
Because the institutions of the government and house of commons exist regardless of democratic elections. So with this in mind, you can't have a governmental system which has justice, liberty and freedom without a power balance between the institutions of the state. As each constrains others power and stop one institutions or institutions within the nation becoming all powerful and taking away Liberty and Justice. Right now no institution is a check on the power of the government and political parties. They do as they please. If you want to limit the governments power you must use the High Tory institutions and restore there powers and ability to limit the government. Increasing democracy will simply lead to greater tyranny.

Right, so you want to cut out the middle man of democracy by installing a tyranny whilst you bend over and take it like the good little monarchist. Okay then.
Original post by Arkasia
Right, so you want to cut out the middle man of democracy by installing a tyranny whilst you bend over and take it like the good little monarchist. Okay then.

Tyranny doesn't come from lack of democracy, it comes from one institution becoming too powerful. The Monarchy which is constrained and also constrains the power of the government is what leads to justice and liberty. The democratically elected government which is all powerful causes tyranny.
Reply 9
Tyranny doesn't come from lack of democracy, it comes from one institution becoming too powerful. The Monarchy which is constrained and also constrains the power of the government is what leads to justice and liberty. The democratically elected government which is all powerful causes tyranny.

Exactly, the Monarchy is constrained, as is government. You want to tip that balance by giving the Monarchy back its power.
Sounds like a perfect recipe for a particularly venal and self-serving ruling class. There was a reason why the restoration didn't last very long.
Original post by Quantex
Sounds like a perfect recipe for a particularly venal and self-serving ruling class. There was a reason why the restoration didn't last very long.

We both know why the Restoration didn't last. It has nothing to do with a self-serving ruling class. More to do with Catholic King attempting to ally with France.
Original post by Arkasia
Exactly, the Monarchy is constrained, as is government. You want to tip that balance by giving the Monarchy back its power.

No the government isn't constrained at all. The Monarchy, Church and Aristocracy have no power to constrain it anymore. I want to tip the balance so the government is actually able to be constrained.
I would be exasperated and leave the country.
Desolate. The Church of England is just one religion, the royals and the aristocracy are just people who happened to be born to the right parents at the right time. Power should be something held by those chosen by the people to hold it, not those who have some kind of right to it by accident of birth or fate.
Even speaking as monarchist, this idea stinks. Those systems of government have been abandoned as they are not equipped to cope with the complexities of modern life.
In theory yes, but the Monarch would be me, the aristocracy would be chosen by myself and there would be state sponsored atheism as opposed to religious nonsense.

i'd have the aristocracy from the Houses of Clegg, Clarke and Kendall (representing the three main political parties) as well as draw from a number of prominent Intellectuals Including the House of Dawkins and Starkey
How would people feel if the Church of England, Monarchy and Aristocracy has powers restored to them? I would be joyous.

Cant speak about whatever s left of our aristocracy but I cant see how giving Prince Charles and Justin Welby more power will help your agenda... in fact it will probably worsen.
Original post by Davij038
Cant speak about whatever s left of our aristocracy but I cant see how giving Prince Charles and Justin Welby more power will help your agenda... in fact it will probably worsen.

It isn't about Charles or Welby, it is about the institutions of the Monarchy and Church of England.
It isn't about Charles or Welby, it is about the institutions of the Monarchy and Church of England.

...who are represented by those people, with whom no doubt you have profound disagreements.

Latest

Trending

Trending