The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well we won even if it wasn't as comfortable as I hoped. Through to R32 with a game to spare. Not bad considering how poorly we started.

Means we should be sending a youth team to play Sion imo. Although Sion did lose to Kazan meaning if we draw we top the group.

Can't believe Sturridge is injured again..
Really wish we can have more comfortable end to a games so save ourselves from becoming nervous wrecks. We looked absolutely knackered though...

Ref was shocking tonight, never been so frustrated with the ref.
(edited 8 years ago)
https://streamable.com/pb8b

Commentators mentioned Sturrdige went to get a scan. Thought his sort of injury record was only for Arsenal players. Tragic

Pure armature stuff from Mignolet's brain dead moment and the ball hogging for 20 seconds. I liked how Kolo easily slid into the squad. His "Messi" moment also deserves a mention :biggrin:

Original post by samir12
Really wish we can have more comfortable end to a games so save ourselves from becoming nervous wrecks. We looked absolutely knackered though...Ref was shocking tonight, never been so frustrated with the ref.
Didn't really see the second half, his first half performance was spot on
(edited 8 years ago)
Went to the gym so I didn't manage to watch the game. How did it go? How were the goals?

I feel very sorry for Sturridge, he's a very talented player and doesn't deserve to be blighted by so many injuries. Wish him all the best.
I'll post my thoughts on Sturridge tomorrow, because it's easy for me to be reactionary right now after finding out on the way back from Anfield.

Tonight we played some terrible stuff really. We were patchy and sporadic, but showed good intent and energy at the right times and did the professional job. Heck of a finish from Benteke. From where I was sat, it was similar to Drogba's goal against us at Stamford Bridge in 2006-07 (I think).

That said, I thought Benteke was pretty anonymous apart from that goal. I almost prefer us playing with a false nine right now, but Firmino was seemingly enduring a hangover post-Etihad and City. Benteke's lack of quick movement is a concern, but when he's plucking goals out of thin air like he did tonight and at Old Trafford (which so many strikers can't do) it's hard to complain.

Everyone's touch was off tonight. It was a bit like an early season game, where you just want the points on the board and the goals in the net before the final whistle. Performances can come. Except, of course, they can't. We all want a performance of note post-City, especially at Anfield, but at least we progressed with a game to spare.

We're still unbeaten in the Europa League, which is remarkable given the season we had pre-Klopp, and there were plenty of highlights tonight: Lucas' continued resurgence, Moreno's energy down the flank, the aforementioned Benteke finish etc.

What the hell was Mignolet playing at, though? His decision making, command of the area, determination on crosses and ability to compose the back four and calm things down is atrocious. The resentment emanating from those sat around me at the match tonight towards him post-Bordeaux's goal was remarkable. People were utterly disgusted with him. It was a real gaffe, and with Bogdan being man-of-the-match in the two Capital One Cup games he's played, I'd be amazed if we didn't see a change for the final Europa League game.

We can say Mignolet's a great shot stopper all we want, but he doesn't actually stop shots does he? He could have done better with Lukaku's equaliser in the derby, Norwich City's equaliser at Anfield, not to mention West Ham's second back in August. You can probably say he should do better for Bolasie's a couple of weeks ago, and both Sion and Kazan's goals at Anfield.

But anyway, let's follow this up by taking the game right to Swansea. Let's get at them. Monk is under pressure, and we've beaten them 5-0, 4-3 and 4-1 in our previous three matches at Anfield.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
https://streamable.com/pb8b

Commentators mentioned Sturrdige went to get a scan. Thought his sort of injury record was only for Arsenal players. Tragic

Pure armature stuff from Mignolet's brain dead moment and the ball hogging for 20 seconds. I liked how Kolo easily slid into the squad. His "Messi" moment also deserves a mention :biggrin:

Didn't really see the second half, his first half performance was spot on

He had a better first half than second. Gave away too many fouls for light contact and was easily fooled by the players flopping to the ground so the game was very scrappy and had no flow to it.
I thought Toure was solid tonight, yeah. Read the game well, stepped up with his experience, was a calming and assuring presence in the back-line. Good to see, given Sakho's absence.
Original post by Mackay
x

+1

Agreed with all of that even if my stream was a little choppy.

What was the atmosphere like last night? Did many people leave early?

I saw that there were no banners in protest of the club's approach to banners.
Original post by Zerforax
+1

Agreed with all of that even if my stream was a little choppy.

What was the atmosphere like last night? Did many people leave early?

I saw that there were no banners in protest of the club's approach to banners.

It was as you'd expect, really.

It was way more laid-back then the other Europa League games I've been to this season. I think a lot of that came down to the fact that, a) we knew Bordeaux were rubbish, b) we played a good side of players in good form, and c) the City result at the weekend.

The lack of banners was a shame, but totally understandable. I'm unsure why the club are trying to alienate the die-hard supporters in the blocks of the Kop by implementing these rules where they have to join a register to create a banner.

Banners are sporadic, organic things. They are born out of nothing, and some of the best ones I've seen have been spur of the moment tongue in cheek. Like the 'Make Us Dream' one of 2013/14. Creativity gets stifled when rules are enforced.

But anyway, the crowd seemed to be fine. Not too many got off early, but it wasn't full. The majority started heading towards the exits deep into injury time, which is understandable seeing as though it's late on a Thursday and the parking around Anfield is dire.

There was a particularly funny moment when the crowd ironically cheered Kolo's long-range shot. He was really well supported by the fans last night. He hobbled off during the Bournemouth game at Anfield in the Capital One Cup, which I also went to, and there were a few discontented murmurings that night due to his unreliability.

Last night he was solid as a rock, though.
Things I noticed:

Mignolet and Lovren were both walking disasters, luckily bailed out for the most part by Clyne and Toure. Mignolet's howler is the first time I have seen an indirect free kick first hand - thought they only do this when the keeper picks up a backpass.

Never thought I'd say this but Allen was pretty decent.

Firmino was off the boil a little, could have been the position he was playing in, could have just been an off-day.

Benteke was decent given the service he got, could easily have had a hat trick.

Still though, we're through with a game to spare.

Oh, and the referee was a ******.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Firmino was off the boil a little, could have been the position he was playing in, could have just been an off-day.

The referee was woeful. You're absolutely bang on. That was one of the worst officiating performances I've ever seen, and I've seen some ****ing things in my time.

At one stage, he gave a goal kick to Bordeaux, the crowd groaned, and he literally just changed his mind and waved for a corner. It was bizarre. Everybody laughed around me, but it was weak officiating.

Benteke can pluck these goals out of the air, but as I've mentioned before, we need him scoring those easier chances for the money we paid too. He's missed really straightforward chances before, too.

Allen was solid and tidy. As expected, really. We know what we're getting from him at this stage.

Firmino just seemed frustrated at having to link-up with Benteke, in truth. He obviously prefers playing with Lallana, and especially Coutinho. But he needs to find a way to thread those balls through to Benteke and find a good tandem with him, because we obviously can't play without a striker all the time.
There's about 20 quality young German keepers that Klopp could replace Mignolet with at the end of the season, pretty sure he'll be upgraded.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Things I noticed:

Mignolet and Lovren were both walking disasters, luckily bailed out for the most part by Clyne and Toure. Mignolet's howler is the first time I have seen an indirect free kick first hand - thought they only do this when the keeper picks up a backpass.

Original post by Mackay
The referee was woeful. You're absolutely bang on. That was one of the worst officiating performances I've ever seen, and I've seen some ****ing things in my time.

At one stage, he gave a goal kick to Bordeaux, the crowd groaned, and he literally just changed his mind and waved for a corner. It was bizarre. Everybody laughed around me, but it was weak officiating.

Benteke can pluck these goals out of the air, but as I've mentioned before, we need him scoring those easier chances for the money we paid too. He's missed really straightforward chances before, too.

Allen was solid and tidy. As expected, really. We know what we're getting from him at this stage.

Firmino just seemed frustrated at having to link-up with Benteke, in truth. He obviously prefers playing with Lallana, and especially Coutinho. But he needs to find a way to thread those balls through to Benteke and find a good tandem with him, because we obviously can't play without a striker all the time.

Disagree about the ref, I was watching it on tele and he seemed to get every decision spot on even if he did have to correct himself. On that particular incident, he clearly just made the decision that he wasn't going to give it handball, then pointed for a goal kick before realising that is was indeed of course a corner.
The only one where I wasn't sure of is when in the second half, Owen stated that the ref overruled the other two officials at the Kop end to give goal kick rather than a corner, as they didn't show a replay of that.
You know it's bad when you're getting bailed out by Kolo Toure
Sakho named Liverpool player of the month.

Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho will not be sidelined with a knee injury for as long as initially feared. The Frenchman - who has been voted the club's player of the month - has told Liverpoolfc.com:

“I’m very happy because I think it’s good news. Everyone thought I had a big injury for a long time.“But, thank God, I think it will be between four and six weeks. We will see the evolution. Now I feel much better, I work and I hope I will come back as soon as possible."
Original post by Gob Bluth

Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho will not be sidelined with a knee injury for as long as initially feared. The Frenchman - who has been voted the club's player of the month - has told Liverpoolfc.com:

“I’m very happy because I think it’s good news. Everyone thought I had a big injury for a long time.“But, thank God, I think it will be between four and six weeks. We will see the evolution. Now I feel much better, I work and I hope I will come back as soon as possible."

Does he mean his total injury time off will be 4-6 weeks or does he mean he's got another 4-6 weeks before he's back?

Well deserved. Just gutted to see him out of action now, though. With Mignolet playing silly beggars, we need somebody to compose the back four and really stamp their authority on it like Kolo did last night. He led from the back.
Original post by difeo
You know it's bad when you're getting bailed out by Kolo Toure

Fellaini is a striker at your club...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sakho is an absolute rock in our Defence, but I would like to have seen Skyrtl share the award...

Nevertheless, Sakho has really impressed me since Klopp's arrival.
Klopp: "Sturridge needs to learn what is pain, and what is serious pain."

Those comments won't do anything to appease sections of the fanbase who think he has a habit of ducking out of games/training unnecessarily.

Latest