The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NimbleNeil
Exxon are scum, burn the offices down whilst you're there :smile:

They genuinely are though. My view of the petroleum industry isn't exactly favourable but Exxon is one of the dirtiest, corrupted and unethical corporations of them all.
Still nothing from Oxford :biggrin: Definitely getting rejected now.
Original post by BigWillow
Still nothing from Oxford :biggrin: Definitely getting rejected now.

In the unlikely situation that you don't get an email by this Sunday, please send an email to the college you applied to (and the Earth Sciences department) because they are supposed to get back to you at least a week in advance. I do not think that rejections and invitations are sent out at different times so please don't try to infer anything from this... I hope you hear soon.
Original post by Plagioclase
In the unlikely situation that you don't get an email by this Sunday, please send an email to the college you applied to (and the Earth Sciences department) because they are supposed to get back to you at least a week in advance. I do not think that rejections and invitations are sent out at different times so please don't try to infer anything from this... I hope you hear soon.

Thought it would come today as it's the last working day before the "1 week beforehand deadline", could they get back to me on the weekend?
Thought it would come today as it's the last working day before the "1 week beforehand deadline", could they get back to me on the weekend?

I honestly don't know, have you received emails from the college you applied to before (like a confirmation that they've received your application)? Have you checked your spam folder? If you've already received correspondence from your college (i.e. they have the right email address) and you get nothing by Sunday, then either they're late (which is unlikely and extremely unimpressive) or something's gone wrong somewhere.

So hopefully, you'll get an email before Sunday. If you don't, send an email on Sunday afternoon (CC in a few people, I can give suggestions of who to include to make sure that someone gets your email) and hopefully it will be sorted. I wouldn't get too worried, the Earth Sciences department generally interviews everyone who looks like they've got a reasonable chance of getting an offer so assuming your grades are in line with the entry requirements, getting an interview invitation is quite likely.
I honestly don't know, have you received emails from the college you applied to before (like a confirmation that they've received your application)? Have you checked your spam folder? If you've already received correspondence from your college (i.e. they have the right email address) and you get nothing by Sunday, then either they're late (which is unlikely and extremely unimpressive) or something's gone wrong somewhere.

So hopefully, you'll get an email before Sunday. If you don't, send an email on Sunday afternoon (CC in a few people, I can give suggestions of who to include to make sure that someone gets your email) and hopefully it will be sorted. I wouldn't get too worried, the Earth Sciences department generally interviews everyone who looks like they've got a reasonable chance of getting an offer so assuming your grades are in line with the entry requirements, getting an interview invitation is quite likely.

Thank you! That was relatively reassuring.
Yeah I got a comfirmation email from Exeter. If nothing new turns up could I PM you on Sunday regarding emails?
Thank you! That was relatively reassuring.
Yeah I got a comfirmation email from Exeter. If nothing new turns up could I PM you on Sunday regarding emails?

Yes of course, I hope you get it soon :smile:
Yes of course, I hope you get it soon :smile:

It just came, they really like to cut it close. Anyway thanks for your help man!
It just came, they really like to cut it close. Anyway thanks for your help man!

Aww, glad to hear it :biggrin:
Hey guys, finally found the geology thread 😄.
So I've applied for the following, all Msci and a couple with the year abroad (A) :
•Exeter - Confirmation
•Imperial - interview in January
•Leeds (A) - Confirmation (which I found in my junk inbox :/)
•Southampton (A) - had the crappiest interview on Wednesday
•Leicester - Unconditional

Have many people heard back from Exeter and also how are everyone's interviews gone?
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone got an offer from Leeds for the year in industry and how long did it take for you to hear back from them?
Reply 211
Original post by Alibubba3
So I've applied for the following, all Msci and a couple with the year abroad (A) :
•Exeter - Confirmation

Have many people heard back from Exeter and also how are everyone's interviews gone?

What happened at your Southampton interview?
•Exeter - Confirmation

Did you have an interview for Leeds?
Original post by Johnstond
Has anyone got an offer from Leeds for the year in industry and how long did it take for you to hear back from them?

Hey :smile: I applied on the 23rd of October and received an offer dependant on interview on the 28th, for Geology with a Year in Industry. I went up last Wednesday 25th November. Had a great time, the department was really friendly and the "interview" was really an informal chat. If you've got any questions feel free to ask!

Original post by Wenwoo

I had my Southhampton interview on the 18th of November, it was quite informal, mainly asking about my interests in geology, work experience and summer on Skye. I was asked to identify two igneous rocks which wasn't difficult. Don't get stressed about it as it really is meant to be relaxed, the main purpose of the day is to persuade you to want to study at the university. If you've got an interview offer they're highly unlikely to reject you (imo)!
Original post by Allystring
thank you so much i was having a bit of a worry that reassures me:smile:

Sorry to say this but I received an offer from Durham for Geology on the 13th of November, my friend received one on the Friday before. I wouldn't worry though as you still have a lot of time!

Have many people heard back from Exeter

Yes I've got an offer! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wenwoo

It was just awful; I was the last of 3 people to be interviewed and those had overrun so the whole thing was rushed, the presentation i had prepared was not brought up at all, nothing from either my reference or PS was asked about, and then generally I was nervous which especially showed in the identifying minerals as I miserably failed on the first one and was then given a talk about its angles/planes/?

So overall, not the best first interview to have

I only received their confirmation email on Monday but because I applied for the Msci I think I'll have to have an interview if I want an offer
Original post by phoebe42

Yes I've got an offer! :smile:

Congrats Phoebe! What/when did they offer it?
Hey everyone i have an interview/open day at manchester uni this Saturday for Geology and I'm not sure on what to expect.
i was told the interview is an " short academic interview"
i don't know how to prepare for this
please help!thanks in advance
Reply 219
It was just awful; I was the last of 3 people to be interviewed and those had overrun so the whole thing was rushed, the presentation i had prepared was not brought up at all, nothing from either my reference or PS was asked about, and then generally I was nervous which especially showed in the identifying minerals as I miserably failed on the first one and was then given a talk about its angles/planes/?

So overall, not the best first interview to have

Ouch! I will struggle with rock/mineral identification too. Several people have said if you get an interview you will get an offer do fingers crossed. They haven't asked me to do a presentation - did they ask this at same time as inviting for interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending