The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daisyhuang1230
Yeah! Finally heard back from Nottingham and got offered a place! After all that waiting...
congratulations :smile:
Anyone been offered a place at southampton or winchester yet?? X
Anyone got an interview for Leeds Trinity or Leeds Beckett??
Hi all. Congratulations on all offers!

I hold offers at Exeter uni and University of Birmingham for Primary PGCE. I'm currently a final year undergrad at UoB but am struggling to decide where to choose!?

Can anyone offer any advice on how they are deciding between institutions?
Reply 1924
Original post by charlottelucy19
Anyone got an interview for Leeds Trinity or Leeds Beckett??

I'm planning on applying to the leeds trinity SCITT as one of my choices. I'm awaiting for an academic reference before I apply. I think they do take a while to reply - I remember when I looked into teacher training for the last application year they took a while to reply for other people. When did you submit your application? Also if you don't mind me asking where else will you apply to?
Reply 1925
I'm in the process of writing my personal statement and I'm wondering how much of my experience I should include.
I'm applying for a Primary PGCE but a lot of my work experience is with 12-16 year olds and I don't know if I should write about that or not? It has been a great learning experience for me but it's not with the age range that I'm hoping to work with so I don't know if it's necessary..
Yesterday I had an interview for the PGCE General Primary at University of Cumbria in Carlisle. The interview consisted of a course talk, a written essay on an article we'd been given to read in advance, a mini teach with questions and an individual interview. It was nowhere near as scary as I'd imagined and it was actually pretty fun! I was told at the end of my interview that I'd been successful and had a place!
...................not bad for a girl who doesn't even have honours!

Guess I'd better cancel my other applications as I really wanted the Carlisle place. I really thought I didn't have a chance, but there you go!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello, mine was on the 18th Nov and they got back to me the following Tuesday :smile:
I have an interview at Cambridge... Next Thursday!

I have to translate an AS Level Latin extract without a dictionary (please don't be Ovid, please don't be Ovid), write an essay, give a 5 minute starter of a lesson, and do an actual interview.

And I have less than a week to prepare. There is zero chance that I'm going to get into Cambridge in all honestly but I don't have any uni commitments for just over a week so I'll try and do as much as I possibly can in the meantime.
Anyone applied to Southampton had their interview yet? If so how long did it take to hear back?? X
Original post by Aemiliana
I have an interview at Cambridge... Next Thursday!

I have to translate an AS Level Latin extract without a dictionary (please don't be Ovid, please don't be Ovid), write an essay, give a 5 minute starter of a lesson, and do an actual interview.

And I have less than a week to prepare. There is zero chance that I'm going to get into Cambridge in all honestly but I don't have any uni commitments for just over a week so I'll try and do as much as I possibly can in the meantime.

Did you receive an email about the interview? I've not had anything, nor do I expect to get one over the weekend. I dont like the idea of preparing a few days in advance if I've got a presentation ect.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Did you receive an email about the interview? I've not had anything, nor do I expect to get one over the weekend. I dont like the idea of preparing a few days in advance if I've got a presentation ect.

Yeah I got one an hour ago. They also say that while I can ask them to rearrange, the course is competitive and they might not be able to do it within the 40 days.

I'm bricking it. If I had 2 weeks to prepare (like I do with KCL) I might feel like I have a chance but the 5 full days I've got left? Nope.

I also have to fill out a college choice form (their FAQ says that everyone going to interview gets one) and that involves needing a passport photo, references, and personal statement about things like sports I do etc (I don't do any since an illness a few years ago and while I'd love to get back into rowing, 5 days isn't enough to start looking like a rower again!).
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah I got one an hour ago. They also say that while I can ask them to rearrange, the course is competitive and they might not be able to do it within the 40 days.

I'm bricking it. If I had 2 weeks to prepare (like I do with KCL) I might feel like I have a chance but the 5 full days I've got left? Nope.

I also have to fill out a college choice form (their FAQ says that everyone going to interview gets one) and that involves needing a passport photo, references, and personal statement about things like sports I do etc (I don't do any since an illness a few years ago and while I'd love to get back into rowing, 5 days isn't enough to start looking like a rower again!).

Odd, did your UCAS invite come through? I got a UCAS invite yesterday night but I'm yet to get anything else. Does it tell you what colleges you can pick btw?
Original post by TunaTunnel
Odd, did your UCAS invite come through? I got a UCAS invite yesterday night but I'm yet to get anything else. Does it tell you what colleges you can pick btw?

Nope, nothing on UCAS just a very detailed email from a man with an @cam.ac.uk address.

Yeah there's a list of colleges with links to their pages and details like 'prefers current students', 'single students only' etc. It feels so mean making me fill out that form when I can say with like 90% certainty that I'm unlikely to get in.

The email also said to bring my skills tests results with me or, if I haven't passed them, to do so within 28 days of an offer being made. Just in case anyone else is applying to Cambridge but isn't ready for the skills tests.
Nope, nothing on UCAS just a very detailed email from a man with an @cam.ac.uk address.

Yeah there's a list of colleges with links to their pages and details like 'prefers current students', 'single students only' etc. It feels so mean making me fill out that form when I can say with like 90% certainty that I'm unlikely to get in.

The email also said to bring my skills tests results with me or, if I haven't passed them, to do so within 28 days of an offer being made. Just in case anyone else is applying to Cambridge but isn't ready for the skills tests.

I'll have to ring them Monday, I already rang them today asking to change the interview date (which the guy seems fine with), I dont mind doing Cambridge after Oxford, just any date but next week. I want to convince them to give me longer for my english skills test, I'm so busy with uni.

Are Trinity, Corpus Christi or King's open to apply to?
I'm really confused now, I thought Secondary History had filled up on the basis of offers made?

I have an offer from one university, but a SCITT interview on Tuesday and I want to see what's happening with that before I make a decision where I go.

Could I loose my university place while I'm waiting for the result of the SCITT interview?
Original post by JaneBaratheon
I'm really confused now, I thought Secondary History had filled up on the basis of offers made?

I have an offer from one university, but a SCITT interview on Tuesday and I want to see what's happening with that before I make a decision where I go.

Could I loose my university place while I'm waiting for the result of the SCITT interview?

I was worried about this too, but it says on the UCAS website as long as you have an offer, you'll be fine. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/getting-started/how-teacher-training-places-are-allocated
Original post by MandaTreb
It probably doesn't matter to them too much, but the lines correspond to (if I remember right) 80 characters per line, so it might be worth having a quick look as to whether there are any lines which are only just over a line - I found it such a pain though, but you do get there in the end!

Ah marvellous, thanks for your reply! I'm down to one line now :biggrin:
Original post by ChancedTravels
I sent mine off without paragraphs because I didn't have room - got three interview offers and accepted at both I attended, so I don't think it's worth fretting over!!

Ah ok, I really can't fit paragraph spaces so a chunk of text will have to do. Nice to know I'm not the only one :h:
Original post by vb23
I'm in the process of writing my personal statement and I'm wondering how much of my experience I should include.
I'm applying for a Primary PGCE but a lot of my work experience is with 12-16 year olds and I don't know if I should write about that or not? It has been a great learning experience for me but it's not with the age range that I'm hoping to work with so I don't know if it's necessary..

I wouldn't say it's necessary, but if you can relate it to why you now want to work with younger age groups then it is probably a great point to talk about, and shows reflection which is a key part of being a teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest