The Student Room Group

Think I've found God again...did he answer my prayer?

Hi all,

First off, this thread is based around my understanding of the Christian faith, so apologies if my views may conflict with yours-- I'll try my best to explain clearly as I can.

I've never really been a devout Christian/or religious individual, my family are not particularly followers of any faith and are more akin to atheists, although weirdly my mother had a fairly disciplined upbringing and was made to go to Sunday school. I think this was more out of it being the 'done thing' of the times, as opposed to following a doctrine.

Nowadays, my mum would probably laugh at me in skepticism if I told her some of the stuff I believe.

I had never always been a follower, and never took any religion seriously and so wasn't really into 'faith'- but until age 14, around the time my Father had passed away. I hung about with this girl who was a Christian and attended this summer school- and so, that summer I attended this venue on the beach of my hometown. They as a group prayed for me- prayer of salvation- in that very moment I have a profound feeling come over me. An odd feeling- indescribable, but joyous.

I prayed regularly (however never really was a church goer because of social anxiety/shyness), and I looked for signs of him answering me. I asked for signs, and once I was so sick of not having any money (selfish I know)- I prayed to him with all my heart. One day I was stood at the bus stop- looked down and saw a pound coin on the floor- immediately i had this good feeling in my heart and I knew it was Gods will- it was a subtle message- a pure symbol that he had answered my prayer. For the rest of the day I was really jolly and happy. It was as if he was giving me the green light.

Years later and as I got older, I stopped praying, life got hectic (im now 25) had a lot of mental health issues, relationship breakdowns and drink a lot.

Me and a work colleague of mine were talking about God and how he answers our prayers. I made it clear to my colleague I wasn't really a stone cold devout religious guy. He understood and is actually very liberal about it.

Me and him sort of shared a joke or two, whilst talking about our individual beliefs about the doctrine. I told him about the incidence at the bus stop and I sort of joked in my head that I wished I actually had some damn money- sincerely. Later on, toward the end of my shift I walked out to put out the rubbish, and a old couple as me if I have seen a lost handbag, I immediately say yes I have. I go to get it. Give it to them, and immediately the gentleman gives me £2 for helping them. I say no no its fine. He insists!

Would any of you deduce that this was him answering my prayer? Giving me sign of optimism?

I was very elated indeed and it has kind of awakened a good feeling in me.

Also, how do you guys deal with the daily sinful acts that we succuub to day to day? I.e. Masterbation, drinking and sex before marriage? Is it okay to do any of these things?

Conventionally many Christians would disagree, but I've spoken to some very liberal followers, and they seem to think that following Christianity shouldn't be robotic or too controlled by scriptures. I,e, if God didn't really allow lustful thoughts, or masterbation then we wouldn't be able to feel it, or do it in the first place. I struggle will all of these issues daily.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well, I'm also a Christian. I believe that Jesus Christ is alive and real. Lustful thoughts are NOT sin. Anyone can have it, you just have to reject it everytime it comes in. No one can stop thoughts from coming. Sex before marriage is not good as a christian and in many religions, we just have to do it and not try to argue with the advices of the Bible. It is hard I know, you just have to reject. As if you know cigarettes is bad for you health, why are smoking?
Then..., Masturbation is not good for you, but it is not a sin also
Reply 2
Original post by zionpower
Well, I'm also a Christian. I believe that Jesus Christ is alive and real. Lustful thoughts are NOT sin. Anyone can have it, you just have to reject it everytime it comes in. No one can stop thoughts from coming. Sex before marriage is not good as a christian and in many religions, we just have to do it and not try to argue with the advices of the Bible. It is hard I know, you just have to reject. As if you know cigarettes is bad for you health, why are smoking?

I guess what I'm saying is; I can't be the only Christian that drinks, masterbates and has lustful thoughts right? How can some Christians be okay with it, while others much more regimented?

Also, I have had sex numerous times (with my Fiancee) before marriage, because I guess I was never always a follower of this faith.

My partner isn't really a Christian and so I am not sure complete abstinence will sit well with her.

If God didn't want us to Masterbate, why did He allow it to feel so good upon climax/orgasm? These are the questions I find more intriguing than open/close suggestions of Yes you can, no you cant :smile:

Also, what are your experiences of God answering your prayers? Have you had any special moments?
Reply 3

So it isn't the Masterbating, but the lustful thoughts that come with it? Which are practically impossible to fight off- because 9 times out of ten most people derive pleasure in this sense from 'lusting'.
Lustful thoughts are NOT sin. Anyone can have it, you just have to reject it everytime it comes in.

...and people wonder why the Roman Catholic Church was completely overrun by paedophiles...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
A group prayed for you, you liked it.
You prayed for money, you found £1 on the floor.
You talked about how you were short of money, and then someone rewards you with £2 for finding a lost bag.

I don't see how many of this can be considered as proof of a divine being.
Reply 6

On the contrary. According to Jesus Christ, lustful thoughts are sinful.

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart" (Matt 5:28)
You can't stop lustful thoughts from coming in your mind. I'm not here to argue. Lustful thoughts following with an act therefore is a sin. A bad thought can also push you into sin, you may have a thought to steal someone money, it may come, but if you go an steal then you have sinned. Yes Jesus said that but you have not taken every others verses in consideration. The Holy Ghost will help you to have a healthy mind, you are not fighting sin with you senses but with the Help of the Holy Ghost. Then, my testimonies of being a Christian are many. I had a chronic headache when I was in high school during almost 3 years. Prayers changed it. God does not allowing thoughts to come in your mind, satan do. Satan is the God of this world, the world where we live now on earth. 2 Corinthians 4/4
Reply 8
Can people please answer my query without resorting to going off on a tangent?

I was directing this question purely toward Christians that may have similar stories to tell about how God has answered their prayers? And whether they could relate to my experiences?

I understand there are people whom are non-believers and thats fine, but each to their own.

The other part of my question was simply asking, is Masterbation, lusting and drinking sinful? But also, if it is so, doesn't that mean that thousands of Christians are sinning daily?

I know of a certain demographic of Christian that are very liberal and believe that its 'your relationship with God that is most important'. If God permitted us to feel pleasure from Masterbating, if He allowed us to lust and to see other woman as attractive and to have sex out of Wedlock then that should be ok? Understandably, this brings into question the scriptures in the bible.

I am more inclined to go by the word of so-called liberal Christians than 'full-blown' bible bashing devout God fearing Christians.

Simply because....if God were such a divine, accepting and loving deity, and he allowed such acts than he would be accepting of these acts. I think that the bible teachings pale into insignificance when you consider your own relationship with God. Of course, the Bible is seen as the corner stone of the faith, and the 'guidebook' for many. But really and truly, all that matters is your linkage with Him. Even if you just talk to him in your thoughts, to me that is worshipping God. I don't even go to Church regularly (and to be fair don't think I ever did!).

Point is, God is expressed as a loving pure divine individual, I really don't feel that he would be so limiting to us so as to give us so many rules. I think real 'faith' is more personal and less robotic and scriptured than we're led to believe.
Reply 9
You can't stop lustful thoughts from coming in your mind. I'm not here to argue. Lustful thoughts following with an act therefore is a sin. A bad thought can also push you into sin, you may have a thought to steal someone money, it may come, but if you go an steal then you have sinned. Yes Jesus said that but you have not taken every others verses in consideration. The Holy Ghost will help you to have a healthy mind, you are not fighting sin with you senses but with the Help of the Holy Ghost. Then, my testimonies of being a Christian are many. I had a chronic headache when I was in high school during almost 3 years. Prayers changed it. God does not allowing thoughts to come in your mind, satan do. Satan is the God of this world, the world where we live now on earth. 2 Corinthians 4/4

Seems pretty clear to me. Jesus is saying that lustful thoughts are a sin. What are these other verses that apparently contradict what Jesus is saying here?
Reply 10
Original post by royal1990
The other part of my question was simply asking, is Masterbation, lusting and drinking sinful? But also, if it is so, doesn't that mean that thousands of Christians are sinning daily?

I've already answered your question. Lusting is a sin; Jesus says so Himself in Matt 5:28 - is there a higher authority? Of course that means thousands (millions actually) of Christians are sinning daily. That's the central point of Christianity - the religion views all mankind as sinners.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by royal1990
I am more inclined to go by the word of so-called liberal Christians than 'full-blown' bible bashing devout God fearing Christians.

More inclined to go with the word of so-called liberal Christians than Christ Himself?
No, he didn't, because he's not real.
Reply 13
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No, he didn't, because he's not real.

I agree with you.

But I enjoy arguing scripture and theology with Christians - most of them don't know their bibles very well - it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
I see your concern. Masturbation, lust for me are not sin. BUT you have to control your body to act rightly according to the bible. Lust is not a sin BUT IT LEADS to sin if you don't reject it. Drunkeness is a sin. going out everyday drinking is not good and is a sin the bible said so. You can't be liberal and be Christian,have one leg in and the other out. As a christian you just need to follow the word, don't say why why why always, as I said before God is not allowing anything to come in your mind. Adam and eve were seduced to eat the fruit, that seduction was not a sin but the action that followed. I'm trying to judge you but if you try to follow the bible then you will see things easier. Have you received the baptism of the Holy Ghost?
Reply 15
I see your concern. Masturbation, lust for me are not sin. BUT you have to control your body to act rightly according to the bible. Lust is not a sin BUT IT LEADS to sin if you don't reject it. QUOTE]

Why do you insist on disagreeing with Jesus (God Himself) on this issue?
Psalm 14/1 "Only fools say in their hearts, "There is no
God." They are corrupt, and their actions
are evil; "
@Howard So now you believe Jesus is God himself?
Reply 18
Original post by Howard
More inclined to go with the word of so-called liberal Christians than Christ Himself?

No, I'm saying that I don't follow the bible to 'a tee'. This is the fundamental problem with religion in general...too black and white. Not enough in between. And I guess this is the thing I'm trying to extract here. Aside from my issues of feeling guilt over 'sinning'. I'm trying to demonstrate that I personally don't feel that if God were this holy, divine and forgiving being, then he wouldn't have imposed so many rules upon us; no matter what the bible says. I think that, again, if God were such a divine ray of light, forgiving, etc etc, he probably wouldn't have even thought for one minute of conceiving the biblical passages as gospel truth. Many Christians will probably scold me for this, and indeed probably feel I'm not a 'real Christian'.

I think people should be entitled to follow a faith system in any which way they wish...I don't have to pray every day, I don't have to refrain from w*****g, I don't have to not have a drink, or try to push out lustful thoughts. All biblical quotes aside here, I feel that faith is a 'personal' relationship with God, and many many people before me have probably said this before. Therefore, if it is a personal thing, surely I'm entitled to speak with God, worship him in my own unique way?

I feel my views are very unorthodox and alternative. I have hybrid views of the Christianity faith, and no I don't follow the bible to the passage, nor do I completely disregard sinning behaviours, hence my guilt and enquiry as to how others cope with it.

I think your trying of play devils advocate as an atheist here. I'd say I'm neither a devout follower, nor an atheist. I'm sort of in the middle, and believe God lives within us all and we should speak to him in whichever way we wish, we don't have to go to church every Sunday or read the bible every night. If you should desire too, then sure fine by me, your choice.
Thanks for sharing that, I think so. - yes. :h:

'For every house is built by someone, but he that built all things is God' -Hebrews 3:4 :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending