The Student Room Group

best uni for media studies?

what unis are good for studying media?
thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That is such a lazy question. If you reframe it you may get a response or two.
PLEASE don't do media studies
Original post by marco14196

While I feel your pain, I have to ask the OP what A Levels they did. If they did A Levels in Media and drama and all that then it's understandable why a degree in media is beneficial. But don't expect a job in the media industry because of your degree, it's too competitive.
Reply 4
Original post by marco14196

Why not? I actually plan to do an apprenticeship though.
Reply 5
Original post by Rhythmical
While I feel your pain, I have to ask the OP what A Levels they did. If they did A Levels in Media and drama and all that then it's understandable why a degree in media is beneficial. But don't expect a job in the media industry because of your degree, it's too competitive.

true, which is why i'd rather do an apprenticeship in media
Reply 6
Original post by TV man
That is such a lazy question. If you reframe it you may get a response or two.

lol ok.
Reply 7
Bournemouth University

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think at least 20x before you choose to spend up 70k(if you do like foundation years + masters + onsite accomdation)on this course. Seriously, this is such a huge investment!
Decent media employers don't want media studies graduates.
Reply 10
Original post by DrSocSciences
Decent media employers don't want media studies graduates.

do you recommend an apprenticeship instead?
Reply 11
Original post by RiskVsReward
Think at least 20x before you choose to spend up 70k(if you do like foundation years + masters + onsite accomdation)on this course. Seriously, this is such a huge investment!

so would you recommend an apprenticeship
Original post by loveleest
do you recommend an apprenticeship instead?

Depends what aspect of the media interests you.

Research their graduate intake schemes and intern policies, then take a view.
I would recommend an apprenticeship especially for a subject like media where practicality is key. University isn't everything these days and for something like media isn't needed really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
This site can be biased when it comes to non-STEM subjects... researching online is your best bet, not on here
I actually plan to do an apprenticeship though.

If you know you're wanting to do an apprenticeship why not go for it straight away? That way you'll have 3+ years head start against your peers who go to uni.

Media studies gets a lot of stick as a degree (rightly so, in my opinion) for an industry where experience and contacts are the most important factors. If you know you want to work in the industry in some capacity and have the opportunity to do an apprenticeship I'd suggest you think very carefully about what a degree in the subject would add (if anything). Good luck!
what unis are good for studying media?
thank you

Hey loveleest,

I'm Chris and I am a student ambassador currently studying at Bournemouth University! I would definitely reccommend looking into studying at Bournemouth University! Our media school has a great reputation with industry and we are the only Centre of Excellence in Media Practice in the UK.

I see you were looking into apprenticeships as well, if you wanted the hands-on experience BU would be a great choice for you! We have industry level facilities one of our three TV studios has been used by BBC for their local work.

If your'e interested have a look on our official webpage.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions or pop over to our forums on TSR!

Thanks and good luck with your applications!

Chris :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by CBowditch
Hey loveleest,

I'm Chris and I am a student ambassador currently studying at Bournemouth University! I would definitely reccommend looking into studying at Bournemouth University! Our media school has a great reputation with industry and we are the only Centre of Excellence in Media Practise in the UK.

I see you were looking into apprenticeships as well, if you wanted the hands-on experience BU would be a great choice for you! We have industry level facilities one of our three TV studios has been used by BBC for their local work.

If your'e interested have a look on our official webpage.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions or pop over to our forums on TSR!

Thanks and good luck with your applications!

Thanks chris! :biggrin:
Original post by CBowditch
Hey loveleest,

I'm Chris and I am a student ambassador currently studying at Bournemouth University! I would definitely reccommend looking into studying at Bournemouth University! Our media school has a great reputation with industry and we are the only Centre of Excellence in Media Practise in the UK.

I recommend that you look at that again, given your advocacy role.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks chris! :biggrin:

That's okay - glad to have helped! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending