The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ruth_glasgow
Yes fingers crossed! I'm yet to graduate (predicted a 1st) so if anything, your integrated masters seems like it should score more highly. Good luck!

That's very kind, I'll keep my fingers crossed! Good luck in your interview(s) :smile:
Original post by Rebeelouise
I feel it's gonna be Monday now for Swansea :frown:
Liverpool will be some time in December :frown:

Yeh Swansea's facebook state Monday to Tuesday next week...
Original post by wciselko
Oh my god. So I did not think it was going to be until 15th of October and I just counted and I have 69h... and I have another shift on the 17th of October. I have already emailed them asking whether it has to be on the 15th strictly.

Another hope is that I have missed some shift out or maybe I could include some other volunteering experience.

Im sure you could include another volunteer experience, dont worry
Original post by Grad201X
For Warwick is the chance of an offer solely based on interview performance?

According to this part:

This year we are simply seeking to establish that all our interview candidates have a minimum of 70 hours. This is the equivalent of 2 weeks full-time work. We won’t be ranking you above and beyond this on this criteria, but you should be prepared to verify the amount you state.

This part seems to suggest that work experience does not make any difference to chances of an offer. Does anyone know if that's correct?

The amount of work experience doesn't matter as long as it is over 70 hours. What matters is being able to reflect on your work experience in an interview.
Original post by Grand Pepito
I imagine if it's hospital then they would :smile: Don't see why not! I'm in the same boat as you, hoping they count my hospital pre-reg as experience as it's incredibly ward heavy.

Its community based which isnt as good as hospital but still is a medical environment which gives an appreciation for the nhs and health service.

I also have hospital experience aswell and volunteer in a hospital one day a month.

So if someone has been a pre reg for a few months would it be appropriate to put 500 odd hours of experience??
Original post by nickname_esco
Its community based which isnt as good as hospital but still is a medical environment which gives an appreciation for the nhs and health service.

I also have hospital experience aswell and volunteer in a hospital one day a month.

So if someone has been a pre reg for a few months would it be appropriate to put 500 odd hours of experience??

Just put down whatever you think is relevant, whether you have 70 or 700, it won't increase your chance of interview. It's more just a cut off for those they definitely won't consider for interview
Also does anyone know if we're pretty much guaranteed an interview as long as we can prove we have 70+ hours? Don't want to get my hopes up! :s-smilie:
Is there anyone who hasn't received the Warwick work experience email? If so, what is your UKCAT? I'm just trying to work out whether they've sent it to everyone, or just those above the cutoff.
I'm over the moon to have received that email from Warwick. Three years and 9 rejections of GEM applications and finally I feel like I may be able to make my dreams come true!

I have 1st class hons, a postgrad cert and 705 UKCAT. Smashed the work experience requirements as my work is clinical so I think I maybe, maybe, maybe might get an interview. I wish everyone here the best of luck and that the email really does mean interviews. Warwick has been my first choice all along and I fell short of the cutoff twice, I hoping with every fibre of my being that it's third time lucky. I love you guys, glad I can share this roller coaster with you all.
Original post by Quilverine
I'm over the moon to have received that email from Warwick. Three years and 9 rejections of GEM applications and finally I feel like I may be able to make my dreams come true!

I have 1st class hons, a postgrad cert and 705 UKCAT. Smashed the work experience requirements as my work is clinical so I think I maybe, maybe, maybe might get an interview. I wish everyone here the best of luck and that the email really does mean interviews. Warwick has been my first choice all along and I fell short of the cutoff twice, I hoping with every fibre of my being that it's third time lucky. I love you guys, glad I can share this roller coaster with you all.

I wish you luck! I have been following you GEM applicants for a couple of years and have been so impressed with how supportive of each other you all are. That is particularly amazing given you are competing with each other. MJK91 made it to Warwick on his third attempt, so keep your hopes up. This could be YOUR year! :smile:

PRSOM Ive got everything crossed Ill be meeting you at Warwick in Sept :biggrin:
Original post by HanaGEM
PRSOM Ive got everything crossed Ill be meeting you at Warwick in Sept :biggrin:

Eeep, we can do this. Let's think positively and look forward to the epic study sessions we will have together. I make awesome (packet mix) cakes, sing really badly and only drink tea so am like designated driver 4life, can we be friends?!

I think anyone who gets even a shot of an interview for GEM can justifiably feel really proud of themselves, the standard compared to undergrad is ridiculously high (near top ten percent UKCAT versus top fifty percent UKCAT being competitive). Not meaning to demean the efforts of anyone that doesn't get an interview.

As someone who has spent more time at Warwick than is healthy, the campus is really nice and the university as a whole seems very forward thinking with a lot of well put together courses. I doubt GEM is an exception and the course sounds really interesting on the website, so I'm sure anyone that gets in will have a blast. Good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 3893
Original post by liam__
Is there anyone who hasn't received the Warwick work experience email? If so, what is your UKCAT? I'm just trying to work out whether they've sent it to everyone, or just those above the cutoff.

The wording of the email makes it seem like not everyone got the email. Also, this may be outdated, but if anyone's interested when I applied to Warwick two application cycles ago I only got an acknowledgement email then a rejection email. I also got one about information sharing between Warwick and Barts but that doesn't happen anymore.

Also, just out of interest, does anyone not have any shadowing experience? I have between two and three thousand hours of HCA and cardiographer work, but I've realised I haven't formally shadowed any doctors. Hopefully the experience will be OK, and while I wait for the actual interviews I'll get some shadowing done so I have more to talk about.
Does anyone know when last year's applicants started receiving interviews/rejections from barts?
Eeep, we can do this. Let's think positively and look forward to the epic study sessions we will have together. I make awesome (packet mix) cakes, sing really badly and only drink tea so am like designated driver 4life, can we be friends?!

I make awesome cupcakes, dont drink hot drinks, but like the odd tipple, we can definately be friends! Ill be designated obs n gynae study support :biggrin:

Edit, just seen youre the same age as me too :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wl1
The wording of the email makes it seem like not everyone got the email. Also, this may be outdated, but if anyone's interested when I applied to Warwick two application cycles ago I only got an acknowledgement email then a rejection email. I also got one about information sharing between Warwick and Barts but that doesn't happen anymore.

Also, just out of interest, does anyone not have any shadowing experience? I have between two and three thousand hours of HCA and cardiographer work, but I've realised I haven't formally shadowed any doctors. Hopefully the experience will be OK, and while I wait for the actual interviews I'll get some shadowing done so I have more to talk about.

Ive not got any formal shadowing that I can put on work exp form, ive done odd days when on plaement, but nothing official, my work exp is all my midwifery placements for uni, Im sure it will be fine :biggrin:
Original post by blackraven
Does anyone know when last year's applicants started receiving interviews/rejections from barts?

From looking at last years thread it looks like dec/jan
Original post by ninalouise258
Aberdeen 5 year interview - obviously want a 4 year but it's my first application cycle and first interview so I'm really happy! Kings rejection but they said I had the academic requirements so that's good at least. QMUL are reviewing my transcript. So it's not all bad! Just Glasgow to hear from.

Really happy for all the success stories on here, and for those who got rejections it gives us hope :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have Exeter as my only interview (5 year) but I am in the same boat as it is my first application cycle and first interview. Good luck. You never know. We may get lucky.
Original post by wl1

It was the same last year, an acknowledgement then nothing until a rejection in early December when they determined UKCAT cutoff.

From the info they gave actually working in an MDT is fine. Also the GMC guidance on work experience doesn't endorse extensive shadowing, some is good but practical care experience is better. It's more about opportunities that allow you to reflect and learn. Shadowing a few different docs can add understanding of elements of the profession but clinical work will actually let you know how you interact with patients and colleagues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending