The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St. John's College 2016 Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Any overseas applicants received an engineering interview call?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by zahidexams
Hey I'm applying for music and it says on the interview letter about the college written test but there is very little info about it online. anyone know anything about it? would it be a general aptitude test or is it subject specific? thanks :smile:

Hi,

Yay another music applicant. Congrats on getting an interview.

Daughter very happy to be given an interview for music at John's too.

Here is the wording on the John's website

On the first day of your interviews, you will be asked to complete two written tests of approximately 45 minutes each. For the first, you will be given a short musicological essay to read, and you will then be invited to answer a number of questions about it. For the second, you will be asked to analyse a piece of music or an excerpt thereof, and you will then write brief essays on a range of issues. Your tests may be discussed with you during the interview.

Be great if anyone has any further info on what to expect from the tests/Interviews at Johns.

Happy preperations :smile:
Just got an email!...Interview on 4th Dec
Any UK students heard about Maths yet?
Reply 244
ayeee got an interview for classics on the 7th! where r all the classicists at? anyone staying at john's on the 6th?
Original post by elles98
ayeee got an interview for classics on the 7th! where r all the classicists at? anyone staying at john's on the 6th?

Applied for engineering but I'm staying on the 6th 😄
Reply 246
Anyone staying at John's on the night of the 9th? I need friends!!
Reply 247
Original post by elles98

Economics interview on the 7th. I'm staying at St John's on the 6th
Any John's medics here who have got their interview offers? :biggrin:
Original post by Pokepal02
Any overseas applicants received an engineering interview call?

I’m an overseas applicant and I got a (rejection) email. I can’t say that I’m surprised though-let’s just say I’m a bit superstitious- the more I tell people about something (it’s not my fault, when they heard I went there for the summer, they wouldn’t stop pestering me about, “Are you going to apply?” “Have you applied?” etc, etc. And you can only hold up the “I haven’t decided yet” bluff for so long…), the higher chance there is of me failing miserably. I’m not joking, there has been a trend throughout the years, and I kind of noticed it a few months ago. Though, I do have to say that I’m happy they rejected me now rather than after an interview, because, well… airplane tickets aren’t cheap, especially if it’s just for a one or two day thing, and that would probably just make me mad that I spent the money and got virtually nothing from it, except for an interview experience (so I guess I should silently thank the admissions board for that haha) :biggrin:Speaking of emails, I don’t really know much about the etiquette in terms of replying… Do I send an email to the address that emailed me the letter thanking them for considering me, or should I physically mail it, or…?
Original post by wonderland2
Hi,

Yay another music applicant. Congrats on getting an interview.

Daughter very happy to be given an interview for music at John's too.

Here is the wording on the John's website

On the first day of your interviews, you will be asked to complete two written tests of approximately 45 minutes each. For the first, you will be given a short musicological essay to read, and you will then be invited to answer a number of questions about it. For the second, you will be asked to analyse a piece of music or an excerpt thereof, and you will then write brief essays on a range of issues. Your tests may be discussed with you during the interview.

Be great if anyone has any further info on what to expect from the tests/Interviews at Johns.

Happy preperations :smile:

thank you!!!!!!! :smile:
Original post by Yavanna
Speaking of emails, I don’t really know much about the etiquette in terms of replying… Do I send an email to the address that emailed me the letter thanking them for considering me, or should I physically mail it, or…?

:frown:

An email would be fine (but isn't expected or required eitherway).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got my vet med interview invite yesterday :smile:
Any other vet applicants here?
Original post by Debjitdj
Just got an email!...Interview on 4th Dec

What subject are you applying for? :smile: and congrats!!!
Do they send out a rejection letter/email to overseas applicants? I've been waiting for a reply for about 2 weeks but alas, no dice :/ A rejection letter would seriously be better than this silence right now.
Original post by yitbling
Do they send out a rejection letter/email to overseas applicants? I've been waiting for a reply for about 2 weeks but alas, no dice :/ A rejection letter would seriously be better than this silence right now.

Yes, I got a rejection email 3 days ago (overseas applicant), I think you should hear news soon (hopefully good news :smile: )
Original post by jneill
:frown:

An email would be fine (but isn't expected or required eitherway).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, okay, now to decide whether or not I'll send an email hahaha, thanks
Original post by Yavanna
I’m an overseas applicant and I got a (rejection) email. I can’t say that I’m surprised though-let’s just say I’m a bit superstitious- the more I tell people about something (it’s not my fault, when they heard I went there for the summer, they wouldn’t stop pestering me about, “Are you going to apply?” “Have you applied?” etc, etc. And you can only hold up the “I haven’t decided yet” bluff for so long…), the higher chance there is of me failing miserably. I’m not joking, there has been a trend throughout the years, and I kind of noticed it a few months ago. Though, I do have to say that I’m happy they rejected me now rather than after an interview, because, well… airplane tickets aren’t cheap, especially if it’s just for a one or two day thing, and that would probably just make me mad that I spent the money and got virtually nothing from it, except for an interview experience (so I guess I should silently thank the admissions board for that haha) :biggrin:Speaking of emails, I don’t really know much about the etiquette in terms of replying… Do I send an email to the address that emailed me the letter thanking them for considering me, or should I physically mail it, or…?

Please email them and thank them, though you got a rejection email.
Any medics?
Reply 259
Original post by ShivvKolhe
Any medics?

Have you got an interview offer yet? What was your UMS? Im applying for medicine also :biggrin:. They are gunna interview 65 people and trim that down to around 17 after interview. So about 1 in 4 get offers.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest