The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Klopp: "Sturridge needs to learn what is pain, and what is serious pain."

Those comments won't do anything to appease sections of the fanbase who think he has a habit of ducking out of games/training unnecessarily.

Players need to be sold, next summer.

Sturridge - Injury prone , not "Robust".
Mignolet - Costs us the title a few years back. Distribution is very poor. sh*t keeper imo.
Allen - Got no pace , No aggression. Can't see how he suits Klopps tactic of high pressure with pace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Think People

Mignolet - Costs us the title a few years back. Distribution is very poor. sh*t keeper imo.
Allen - Got no pace , No aggression. Can't see how he suits Klopps tactic of high pressure with pace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Allen has proven useful thus far in his Anfield career. He's tidy, no frills or spills, and isn't a bad squad player to have. I think he deserves his chance under Klopp. He's played under BR for so long, that a new manager's guidance and influence on him can perhaps elevate him and give him a new lease of life. We shall see.
Original post by Mackay

Those comments won't do anything to appease sections of the fanbase who think he has a habit of ducking out of games/training unnecessarily.

Harsh words.. he's obviously had a lot of injuries so I don't blame him being worried about his body. We saw the same with Torres.
Seems like it's all in the mind with Sturridge. Mentally he seems broken to me.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Seems like it's all in the mind with Sturridge. Mentally he seems broken to me.

Absolutely. Gerrard pretty much confirmed that in parts of his autobiography, too. He said sometimes Sturridge needed to be gee-d up to play, and he'd often doubt his fitness and would need to be pulled through and risked.

Plenty of players play without feeling 100%. 100% fitness is a myth, anyway. Nobody is 100% fit, unless they're about 16 and have never played a full 90 before.

Sturridge seems to be somebody who will doubt himself, and that's not a good quality to have in top level sport. He needs courage and conviction.

Gerrard also said that he was thinking of pulling out of the United game at Anfield in 2013-14, when we were without Suarez. Gerrard practically begged him to play, and he was proven right, because Sturridge scored the winner and led the line excellently.
But what about when Sturridge doesn't feel 100% and plays and then is out for another few months?
Original post by Lúcio
Fellaini is a striker at your club...

Posted from TSR Mobile

#tooeasy
Original post by Zerforax
But what about when Sturridge doesn't feel 100% and plays and then is out for another few months?

The issue is that doesn't happen. He plays, and is fine, but it's in training these injuries occur. He needs to either be managed better at Melwood, or get over this some sort of psychosomatic complex.
Original post by Mackay

Sometimes you just have to say it how it is though and hope the harsh truth can kick somebody in to action.
I feel like Klopp making a comment like that is potentially a warning signal for Sturridge. Rodgers would've never had the gut to ditch Sturridge but Klopp has shown us so far that he knows the decisions that must be made and he has the balls to make them.

The man is an absolute top striker but (bar a few Arsenal mugs) he is the most injury prone player i've ever seen.
He managed to stay fit for almost the entirety of the SAS season and i'm not sure that's a coincidence. Mentally we were at our peak as a club and we were worried about nothing. Nowadays with Suarez gone and Liverpool struggling, the pressure of being out for so long and the expectation of coming back and improving the side is just too much for Sturridge.

The way I see it, we either sell him to whoever will buy in the summer or we re-negotiate his contract to a pay as you play basis. It doesn't matter how good he is if he's sat in the stands all season long. All he's doing is being an obstacle to us buying a first team striker.

Original post by difeo
#tooeasy

Sakho > Smalling amirite
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Sometimes you just have to say it how it is though and hope the harsh truth can kick somebody in to action.
I feel like Klopp making a comment like that is potentially a warning signal for Sturridge. Rodgers would've never had the gut to ditch Sturridge but Klopp has shown us so far that he knows the decisions that must be made and he has the balls to make them.

The man is an absolute top striker but (bar a few Arsenal mugs) he is the most injury prone player i've ever seen.
He managed to stay fit for almost the entirety of the SAS season and i'm not sure that's a coincidence. Mentally we were at our peak as a club and we were worried about nothing. Nowadays with Suarez gone and Liverpool struggling, the pressure of being out for so long and the expectation of coming back and improving the side is just too much for Sturridge.

The way I see it, we either sell him to whoever will buy in the summer or we re-negotiate his contract to a pay as you play basis. It doesn't matter how good he is if he's sat in the stands all season long. All he's doing is being an obstacle to us buying a first team striker.

Sakho > Smalling amirite

Well we did buy Benteke but agree about his wages stopping us from investing further into the team.

Shame really because I think he'd suit a Klopp side more than Benteke.
Original post by Zerforax
Well we did buy Benteke but agree about his wages stopping us from investing further into the team.

Shame really because I think he'd suit a Klopp side more than Benteke.

I think the main problem is him hindering further investment than the wasted money on wages.
While he's here, we'll always have him in the back of our minds because we know how good he is when fit.
That means unless we're willing to ditch sturridge, we can't guarantee a new striker first team games since we'll have two other quality players in his position too.
I doubt we'd get much money if anybody were silly enough to buy sturridge, but offloading him simply for squad progression going forward is essential.

We did and although Benteke is a truly great player at times, it's clear he doesn't suit us all too much.
I don't particularly blame Rodgers for buying him since we desperately needed a striker and i don't think he could've gotten anybody better, but things are different with Klopp.
He has a much greater appeal as a manager and his links to German players is absolutely huge.
Aubameyang would be excellent, although i feel like he could probably go to a bigger team than us.
Original post by Lúcio
I think the main problem is him hindering further investment than the wasted money on wages.
While he's here, we'll always have him in the back of our minds because we know how good he is when fit.
That means unless we're willing to ditch sturridge, we can't guarantee a new striker first team games since we'll have two other quality players in his position too.
I doubt we'd get much money if anybody were silly enough to buy sturridge, but offloading him simply for squad progression going forward is essential.

We did and although Benteke is a truly great player at times, it's clear he doesn't suit us all too much.
I don't particularly blame Rodgers for buying him since we desperately needed a striker and i don't think he could've gotten anybody better, but things are different with Klopp.
He has a much greater appeal as a manager and his links to German players is absolutely huge.
Aubameyang would be excellent, although i feel like he could probably go to a bigger team than us.

The latter seems desperate to go to Spain.
Sounds crazy but I'm actually a little pleased Shelvey is suspended for our game.

He always seems to be highly involved in the scoreline so I feel like with him out things will be a little less unpredictable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to Nou Camp tommorow, will get to see Suarez, Messi and Neymar wreck Real Sociedad. :biggrin:
Reply 2034
Original post by samir12
Going to Nou Camp tommorow, will get to see Suarez, Messi and Neymar wreck Real Sociedad. :biggrin:

Inb4 0-0

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why jinx it....
Original post by samir12
Why jinx it....

Might as well not even bother going now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sturridge has played 70 games since joining us, and missed 72.

Compare Klopp's comments regarding him yesterday to his treatment of Henderson, who he says has been champing at the bit to get back to training and practically banging on the door each day saying he's desperate to play!
Original post by Mackay
Sturridge has played 70 games since joining us, and missed 72.

Compare Klopp's comments regarding him yesterday to his treatment of Henderson, who he says has been champing at the bit to get back to training and practically banging on the door each day saying he's desperate to play!

Wow not a great stat. But he's the fastest to 50 goals or something?

Not sure how we can get him off our wage bill though. What's the point in getting rid if we still end up paying like 100k a week of his contract?
Original post by Think People

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, what?!

The lad has been almost impeccable. I don't know whether you're watching him play for Liverpool or highlights of when he was playing for Sunderland.