The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alauxjx
hi guys i received an interview for magdalen psychology, should i wear a suit (i'm a girl)?? thanks!!

Same here... how are you going to prepare for your interview?

Definitely this.
I use it all the time - by far the easiest and most stress-free way of travelling to and from Heathrow into Oxford, especially after a trans-Atlantic flight!
I wouldn't recommend using the Oxford tube from Heathrow, sure it's cheaper, but it often gets caught up in the hideous central London traffic, and can take forever, especially in rush hour - not fun. The airline bus is great, and the bus station in Oxford (where you get off) is very central, and no more than a 10 minute walk to most colleges, or a £5 cab journey, depending on how energetic you're feeling.
Reply 7922
Original post by TaliaG
For the Modern Languages interviews, does anyone know how proficient we need to be (in a language taken to A Level)? Is it better to try and sound natual, or to try and consciously integrate complex phrases into your speech?

Hi :smile: I'd say be natural. They know your language is at a high level or else you wouldn't have done very well on the MLAT or achieved good A level grade! Don't stress too much - they just want to see that you're willing to try!

Congrats on the interview!! What languages have you applied for and which college gave you an interview?
Anyone else heard from Brasenose for a Science subject? I'm Biochem and super excited for my interviews. I can see a lot of Arts students with interviews at Brasenose but no Science!
Original post by mechanism
Anyone else heard from Brasenose for a Science subject? I'm Biochem and super excited for my interviews. I can see a lot of Arts students with interviews at Brasenose but no Science!

I've applied for Physics at Brasenose, and so has my friend - nothing at all back yet!
anyone who is applying to Brasenose - there is a thread for the college but it's kinda dead. It would be so great to see who has got interviews/who is applying since this thread is really busy!

here's the link;
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=334299
Original post by Alart
Me too. Seems no one applied to univ for psychology.

Hi sorry this is a bit late but I've applied to univ for psychology and linguistics!! Have you heard back from them yet?:/
Original post by ArtilleryArthur
Got my interview for English at Balliol today at 11:18! I'm ****ing ecstatic! Anybody else applying for English and/or to Balliol? :smile: :smile:

I'm History at Balliol; got my interview at lunchtime yesterday :biggrin: I'm ****ing ecstatic too!! :smile:
Original post by luckystarr
Hi sorry this is a bit late but I've applied to univ for psychology and linguistics!! Have you heard back from them yet?:/

I applied for philosophy and linguistics at univ!! People have already got interviews from many other colleges but we're still waiting on univ it seems..😔
Got rejected from Merton just after midnight last night. And now have to wait till January before I can find out why.. Oh well
Original post by Raina97
I applied for philosophy and linguistics at univ!! People have already got interviews from many other colleges but we're still waiting on univ it seems..😔

Ahh yay found a fellow applicant buddy! Ikr I can't deal with this long wait 😭 let me know as soon as you hear anything from them yeah?:smile:
Reply 7931
Original post by PhysNobel
HI

I want to lay my my card out on the table ( because obviously you'll look at my previous posts )

Ok so , I'm an Etonian gong into the sixth form at Westminster because I want to be in Central London ( many reasons )

I'm fairly sure ( after being top in my school ) that unless I go even more completely insane ,
I will one day an interview for Oxford// MIT /Princeton for Physics -

BUT - I write on behalf of the daughter of a family friend , who hasn't enjoyed anywhere like the privilege I have ...
( in fact I would say very poor / council estate / parents on DSS etc )

SO PLEASE take this seriously

Her mum tells me that she is SO AFRAID and Nervous coz Oxford have invited her for an interview for BA History

- SO NO JOKES PLEASE

please - Any Advice for her interview - she is top History in her school ( but the school is to be honest - inner city state /
none of her teachers went to Oxford or Cambridge .... )

- so you good people / Any tips would be very very welcome ASAP please

Ta peeps :smile:)

James

I'm applying to BA history too from a similar background as her, what college did she apply to? The best advice I can give is that she know her personal statement inside out, have a go at some of the questions on the oxford website and try to enjoy the experience. She will do well at any university she attends if she's applying to oxford.
Original post by PasserbyA
Yep, I received an interview for E&M at 3:21pm yesterday, only I was asleep because different timezones.

Oh same, for which college? Mine is at Jesus College
Original post by tenstemsandroses
Yes, my goodness PPL does not seem to be a very popular degree, although I'm not complaining because at least it gives us a better chance of acceptance haha.

Congrats on your acceptance as well! We'll probably meet on the 13th :smile: How are you going to prepare for the interviews?

I have just been trying to have a few good conversations and arguments about the topics occasionally, and consolidating the ideas in my personal statement. The acceptance rate for PPL is only 15%, compared to 21% for english! So it is still quite difficult by the sound of it. I'll probably see you on the 13th, good luck preparing until then!
[QUOTE="Rocketrascal;60916037"]Hey guys I am a first year at oxford at the moment and I am studying Economics. So if you need any help just ask me. Oh yeah:
2A*s and 8As at GCSE
3A*s and A at A level in Econ, Chem, RS and Physics respectively[/QUOTEw

Hi i have an interview for econ and management and I was just wondering what kind of things they asked you in your interview?
I just received my invitation to interview at Hertford for English! Woohoo! 😁😁 Anybody else applying to Hertford for English? 🎉🎉
Reply 7936
Original post by lilycey
I just received my invitation to interview at Hertford for English! Woohoo! 😁😁 Anybody else applying to Hertford for English? 🎉🎉

On a saturday?? Congrats by the way :biggrin: !
Reply 7937
Original post by AC57
Hi :smile: I'd say be natural. They know your language is at a high level or else you wouldn't have done very well on the MLAT or achieved good A level grade! Don't stress too much - they just want to see that you're willing to try!

Congrats on the interview!! What languages have you applied for and which college gave you an interview?

Thank you, that's really helpful! I've applied for French and Beginners' Russian, and Lincoln College gave me an interview (the college I originally applied for). What about you? :smile:
Original post by Yasmin JM
Oh same, for which college? Mine is at Jesus College

Merton.
I just filled in the interview reply form for Merton and I am arriving a day early on the evening of the 5th. I couldnt select the 5th as an arroval date despite them saying that I can stay the night before.
Wrote an email and mentioned it in the form - anybody think this will be a problem?

Latest

Trending

Trending