The Student Room Group

Most difficult A-Level subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Easiest to Hardest: Maths, Biology, Music, English Lit

(although some biology topics are harder than others- the biochemistry stuff I think is the hardest so far)
Original post by ClaudTheCat
From what I took, easiest to hardest:

English Lit
Art
Biology
Chemistry

I only find Eng Lit quite easy because I enjoy it so much though. Like, I'd do it in my free time tbh. I imagine it's horrific if you're not interested.
Art is harder than you'd expect because so much effort has to be put in to achieve anything worthwhile, visually and grade wise. Since I was doing two sciences and an essay subject with it, I had to compromise on revision for Lit to get stuff finished to a high enough standard. I didn't have any weekends for a whole year with that and Chem.
Biology (people have mentioned) has a cruel mark scheme, at least, for AQA. It's a lot of material and I spent two months learning the textbook cover to cover, and then my exam had very little breadth of recall and a lot of common sense, and I wasn't very impressed. It's way interesting at A2 though
Chemistry is like being in a relationship where your partner takes your money and your time and leaves you frustrated and hating them, but at the same time, they're so attractive and enigmatic you keep in going, even though you're not sure if the effort you put in will pay off. And at AS results day I found they they paid off just enough to keep me hanging on by a slither of hope. (And of course I mean, a C)

I like your descriptions for Chem.. :tongue: But in all honesty, Chem isn't too bad - same sort of questions come up every year. Most of the topics are straight-forward, unlike subjects like Physics where the topics are so vague and abstract. And I don't like Biology because, like you had mentioned, the mark scheme is really pedantic. No matter how much I revised for Biology exams, I would only get B's, with occasional A's. For Chem, however, even if I didn't revise a lot I'd get A's and A*'s.
Reply 222
further maths, bio, maths , chem , physics
hardest to easiest
Reply 223
History
English Literature
Spanish
Psychology

No way is Music harder than History 😂😂
Biology :s-smilie:
I'd say from easiest to hardest it would probably be:
Sociology
Psychology
Biology
Chemistry - but I dropped that
I've only started a-levels as of September but so far:
Biology
English literature
Chemsitry
Sociology
Economics, Law, Business.

Hardest to Easiest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 228
For me: (hardest to easiest)

Chemistry
Biology (although I do think that Biology is harder than Chemistry. The only reason why I have ranked it below Chem, was because I enjoyed it way more, which made it easier to tackle.)
Art
Geography

But overall, each had a their good and bad days. A levels are no joke.
Reply 229
Hardest to easiest.....

English Language
History
English Literature
Sociology
Easiest to hardest -
Economics
English Language
Finding a needle in a hay stack
Hacking Anonymous
Surviving a Saw trap
Politics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hardest to easiest:
English Lit
Religion & Philosophy
Classics
Politics
Easiest to Hardest:

Maths
(Classics)
(Physics)
Further Maths
French

Those in brackets are the AS subjects I dropped
Hardest to easiest:
Further maths
Chemistry
Maths
Arabic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
Easiest to hardest:
Russian (because I'm a native speaker :biggrin:)
Maths
Biology
Further Maths (only put it 4th because M1 was horrible and I hated it, D1 and FP1 were easy; got an A and dropped it)
Chemistry
(edited 8 years ago)
Out of just my subjects (easiest-hardest)
General studies
Chemistry
Maths
Historu
I'd like to change my old post:
Hardest to easiest:
Physics
Maths

Computer Science
Psychology

Maths is a pain in the ass imo
Original post by Arusya
Easiest to hardest:
Russian (because I'm a native speaker :biggrin:)
Maths
Biology
Further Maths (only put it 4th because M1 was horrible and I hated it, D1 and FP1 were easy; got an A and dropped it)
Chemistry

Hey! I'm doing the same subjects (+physics) and I'm a native speaker too :tongue: How are you finding A2 so far? What do you want to study at uni? :smile:
Reply 238
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Hey! I'm doing the same subjects (+physics) and I'm a native speaker too :tongue: How are you finding A2 so far? What do you want to study at uni? :smile:

Aww, that's awesome! Where are you from? :biggrin:
A2's going well for me, i mean i find chemistry quite hard but i just need to do a bit more work i guess haha, you?
I'm applying for medicine, what about you? :smile:
Hardest to easiest:

Physics (hated this)
Chemistry
Further maths
Maths

Actually doing a maths degree at uni now, and thats pretty damn hard :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest