The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just realized the title is gramatically incorrect
/fail
i feel as though i could live without orgasms

i guess with 'true' addictions you dont feel as though you can live without them?
Reply 3
Original post by driftawaay
How is it any different from an alcohol or drug addiction? If you were forbidden to masturbate or have sex for the rest of your life, would you be able to do it? There was that thread that asked whether you would abstain from sex/masturbation for life for a few million bucks. The answer wasa resounding no.

So???

I think you're right.

After all, the pleasure you experience when you orgasm is just a rush of dopamine in the brain, and if you do it too often then the experience begins to numb itself. Just like with addictive drugs, your brain wants more of these pleasure rushes, and so it becomes difficult to resist.

(by the way, I was one of the few people who voted yes on that thread :lol:)
Reply 4
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
i feel as though i could live without orgasms

i guess with 'true' addictions you dont feel as though you can live without them?

Maybe you're just not addicted yet?

I mean, I drink occasionally, yet I would be fine without alcohol for the rest of my life. I think it's a case of if you experience it too often.

Some people masturbate twice a day, and I think they'd probably struggle with stopping :/
just realized the title is gramatically incorrect
/fail

*orgasms*
Addiction means you go into withdrawal without them ... I've never had an orgasm so I'm no expert, but I've never heard of anyone suffering withdrawal symptoms from abstained orgasms.:pierre:
Original post by Alexion
Maybe you're just not addicted yet?

I mean, I drink occasionally, yet I would be fine without alcohol for the rest of my life. I think it's a case of if you experience it too often.

Some people masturbate twice a day, and I think they'd probably struggle with stopping :/

yeah, not saying it couldn't be an addiction, just that its not an addiction for me

i cede to your superior (re: relevance to question posed in OP) points
How is it any different from an alcohol or drug addiction? If you were forbidden to masturbate or have sex for the rest of your life, would you be able to do it? There was that thread that asked whether you would abstain from sex/masturbation for life for a few million bucks. The answer wasa resounding no.

So???
I was thinking about earlier on. On orgasm, hormones are released which AFAIK are addictive. So while orgasm isn't directly addictive, the hormones are, meaning that yes, sex/masturbation is effectively addictive.

As far as hormones are concerned, I envy women - when women orgasm, a blast of oxytocin (cuddle hormone) is released, where men don't (or not as much IIRC). I've considered trying to get hold of an oxytocin inhaler for this reason :moon:
They pretty much are, yeah.
Muslims are forbidden to masturbate as its 'haraam' Maybe because it is in some way an addiction? As they are forbidden to do most addicting things like drugs, alcohol etc? Not sure lol! Feel bad for the muslims that actually do follow that rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The definition of addiction is;
the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance or activity.

The definition of addicted is;
physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance.

I feel like an orgasm isn't something you depend on you know? You CAN live without it and you are not constantly thinking about it etc Its more of a want than a need therefore I don't think it can be classed as an "addiction" to say "normal functioning/everyday people". Its like if people said they couldn't live without chocolate or cake (or favourite food) etc, it doesn't mean they are addicted to it per say because they don't depend on it physically and mentally. You don't have withdrawal symptoms.

Therefore I don't believe it is an addiction. Although there ARE sex addicts and those people are most likely the ones addicted to orgasms. They want more and more of it and depend on it physically and mentally for happiness or whatever.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Addiction means you go into withdrawal without them ... I've never had an orgasm so I'm no expert, but I've never heard of anyone suffering withdrawal symptoms from abstained orgasms.:pierre:

That's an accurate description of physical addiction, not necessarily psychological addiction..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Muslims are forbidden to masturbate as its 'haraam' Maybe because it is in some way an addiction? As they are forbidden to do most addicting things like drugs, alcohol etc? Not sure lol! Feel bad for the muslims that actually do follow that rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm no expert, but I bet you many muslims do masturbate because it is one of the most basic human urges that few people can indefinitely resist.

So???

Yes I think they can become an addiction. Orgasms are similar to alcohol and drugs because they all affect happy/pleasure chemicals in the brain and therefore people want more and get addicted, it's like when people become "sex addicts".

You can become addicted to anything that gives your momentary pleasure or relief, like procrastination. :tongue:

And to answer your question no I couldn't, nor would I want to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by plantagenet crown

lmfaoooo naaaah this cant be unseen now
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm no expert, but I bet you many muslims do masturbate because it is one of the most basic human urges that few people can indefinitely resist.

Yh probably. However, they are known to be the horniest religion according to quite a few sites. Im not trying to offend anyone I am just stating what it said in the sites ahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

I think that lots of people resist it.

Latest