The Student Room Group

Did a Masters degree make you more employable?

Poll

Did a Masters degree make you more employable?

As the title says really, did you take a Masters degree and find it helped you get a job in your desired industry, when before you were struggling with just a Batchelors degree?

I can see the arguments both for and against this theory, and as my career is at a complete stalemate, I'm considering it for 2016 entry if I can find the right course for me. I see many job adverts which require a BSc in my area, but have Masters as being desirable.

Scroll to see replies

I wasn't struggling with my bachelor's degree (100% employment rate), but my master's degree (also 100% employment rate) has made me more employable - I could never have gotten this job without it. My salary is also higher as a direct result of having a master's degree.

If the job ad says having a master's is desirable, then having one will help. Not only will it make it more likely for you to be interviewed and given offers, but your salary may be higher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks. Hoped as much for the higher salary. Just need to find the right one.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
I wasn't struggling with my bachelor's degree (100% employment rate), but my master's degree (also 100% employment rate) has made me more employable - I could never have gotten this job without it. My salary is also higher as a direct result of having a master's degree.

If the job ad says having a master's is desirable, then having will help. Not only will it make it more likely for you to be interviewed and given offers, but your salary may be higher.

What course did you do and what jobs field ? OP it also depends on what you want to go into.
I can't really answer your pole, because in the area I'm trying to break into, some places prefer you to have a masters and others don't mind. In this case it doesn't make up for not having as much work experience and poor interview technique.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redleader1
What course did you do and what jobs field ? OP it also depends on what you want to go into.

Education-related but not teacher-training.

Education.

But I don't think the content of the degree is the biggest factor, but rather that it's from Oxford.
Original post by jelly1000
I can't really answer your pole, because in the area I'm trying to break into, some places prefer you to have a masters and others don't mind. I can be certain though that it doesn't make up for not having as much work experience and poor interview technique.

For me, it actually made up for the lack of full-time experience.

The requirement was at least two years of experience, and I had none full-time/postgraduate work experience.
Interesting... I'm considering a Masters degree (even though I've only just applied to do my Undergraduate :colondollar: )

I know exactly which one I'll do and where if I do decide to do one... it's so interesting!
Reply 8
Original post by emiloujess
Interesting... I'm considering a Masters degree (even though I've only just applied to do my Undergraduate :colondollar: )

I know exactly which one I'll do and where if I do decide to do one... it's so interesting!

Why didn't you go for an intergrated masters?
Original post by Little Toy Gun
For me, it actually made up for the lack of full-time experience.

The requirement was at least two years of experience, and I had none full-time/postgraduate work experience.

Ah that's very interesting, I shall edit my post then.
Original post by Aph
Why didn't you go for an intergrated masters?

For the extremely simple reason that not every university does it! and the university that does the masters I want to do certainly doesn't. Plus if I'm not sure why would I?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
For the extremely simple reason that not every university does it! and the university that does the masters I want to do certainly doesn't. Plus if I'm not sure why would I?

What university does the masters you want to do?
Original post by Aph
What university does the masters you want to do?

Why??
Reply 13
Why??

Curious?
Ah that's very interesting, I shall edit my post then.

But then of course there can be a combination of factors, such as not having a suitable candidate at the time (they told me it's between me and another person - in general tho, the CEO said they received thousands of applications every year for like 20-30 positions), desperation, very good interview performance, and I do have impressive freelance and other experiences, at least for a fresh graduate. But I don't even have the desired ethnicity or nationality.
Reply 15
I can't really answer your pole, because in the area I'm trying to break into, some places prefer you to have a masters and others don't mind. In this case it doesn't make up for not having as much work experience and poor interview technique.

True, I have a fair amount of work experience in other industries and some volunteering experience which is very relevant to the field. But I can't get an interview for it to be poor interview technique.

I assume masters have the same application deadlines that undergrad degrees do?
Original post by dhr90
True, I have a fair amount of work experience in other industries and some volunteering experience which is very relevant to the field. But I can't get an interview for it to be poor interview technique.

I assume masters have the same application deadlines that undergrad degrees do?

No they don't, each uni set it's own deadline- some are very fixed, others are first come first served. If you are saying you can't get an interview, have you checked its not your application?
Reply 17
No they don't, each uni set it's own deadline- some are very fixed, others are first come first served. If you are saying you can't get an interview, have you checked its not your application?

Wasn't aware of that. Haven't found the right one yet anyway. I have had several different people go over applications and check them and they all said that with one of two improvements they were good. Its a competitive field and I rarely even get replies to my applications.
Original post by dhr90
Thanks. Hoped as much for the higher salary. Just need to find the right one.

not sure what sector you're looking at but when people have a masters degree their salary is only £1k-£2k above what someone with a bachelors would get. Not much of a considerable difference (especially since you can get that job with bachelors +relevant experience).
Reply 19
Where I come from they say you get about 1000 bucks more per month with a Master´s. As far as I was able to check so far this is accurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending