The Student Room Group

Why and how does the molecule HF have hydrogen bonding

it says in the textbook HF has hydrogen boning but surely it doesnt as its a lone molecule?
ocr a chemistry a level
Original post by youreanutter
it says in the textbook HF has hydrogen boning but surely it doesnt as its a lone molecule?
ocr a chemistry a level

Hydrogen bonds are intermolecular forces. The electronegativity of the fluorine atom draws the electrons in the covalent bond toward it, creating a slightly negative charge on the fluorine atom and a slightly positive charge on the hydrogen atom. Opposite charges on molecules attract. E.g, a slightly positive hydrogen of one molecule of HF will be attracted to the fluorine side of another molecule of HF. Its this attraction which is considered the hydrogen 'bond'.
Original post by pineneedles
Hydrogen bonds are intermolecular forces. The electronegativity of the fluorine atom draws the electrons in the covalent bond toward it, creating a slightly negative charge on the fluorine atom and a slightly positive charge on the hydrogen atom. Opposite charges on molecules attract. E.g, a slightly positive hydrogen of one molecule of HF will be attracted to the fluorine side of another molecule of HF. Its this attraction which is considered the hydrogen 'bond'.

it states that hydrogen bonding is the intermolecular bonding between molecules containing N O or F and the H atom of -NH -OH or -HF
doesnt this mean thaty for it to be a hydrogen bond isnt it between a hrogen of one molecule and the O/N/F of a molecule with OH NH or HF?
it states that hydrogen bonding is the intermolecular bonding between molecules containing N O or F and the H atom of -NH -OH or -HF
doesnt this mean thaty for it to be a hydrogen bond isnt it between a hrogen of one molecule and the O/N/F of a molecule with OH NH or HF?

Yes, that's what I've explained. This diagram may help you visualise it.

precisely. Fluorine is also the most electronegative element there is, hence there are greater intermolecular forces between HF molecules than say HCl molecules.
Original post by pinkfloydfan
precisely. Fluorine is also the most electronegative element there is, hence there are greater intermolecular forces between HF molecules than say HCl molecules.

but in a HF molecule i thought theres no hydrogen bonds as they are itramolecular forces?
but in a HF molecule i thought theres no hydrogen bonds as they are itramolecular forces?

There aren't hydrogen bonds in, or within, a molecule of HF, there are hydrogen bonds between molecules of HF.
There aren't hydrogen bonds in, or within, a molecule of HF, there are hydrogen bonds between molecules of HF.

I think the original poster was confused with the word "bonding" when considering hydrogen bonding as an intermolecular force. :s-smilie:
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
I think the original poster was confused with the word "bonding" when considering hydrogen bonding as an intermolecular force. :s-smilie:

Yeah, I tried to explain that in my original post, but they still seemed confused.
Yeah, I tried to explain that in my original post, but they still seemed confused.

Yeah, true! My bad. The fact that Hydrogen bonding is considered as an intermolecular force can be confusing :tongue:
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yeah, true! My bad. The fact that Hydrogen bonding is considered as an intermolecular force can be confusing :tongue:

It's all good :smile: It can be! I was confused at the beginning, too.
Reply 11
How many h bond present in HF molecule?

Quick Reply

Latest