The Student Room Group

Can I get my boobs removed on the NHS?

I hate my boobs. So can I get my boobs removed on the NHS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'absurde

Not for that reason, no.
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
Not for that reason, no.

It's more complicated than that. It's hard to explain
Your boobs REMOVED? whatttt?
:lolwut:

When I'm on TSR, I often feel like I'm seeing things. I don't know what it is...
It's more complicated than that. It's hard to explain

Unless it's for medical reasons, the NHS won't pay for it. The only condition for which I can imagine the NHS paying for a mastectomy is breast cancer. Or perhaps body dysmorphic disorder. There's no harm in discussing it with your GP but I doubt you'll get what you want.
What the... Why do you hate them? Is it like a gender issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was that wannabe-model Josie Cunningham (how she could become a model with a face like that I'll never know but that's a separate issue..) who got a boob job on the NHS by claiming that her flat-chestedness was causing emotional distress or some such like, so I'd guess that you can get the reverse done by claiming a similar thing.

99.9% of boobs are good boobs though, I don't see why one would want to alter them in any way assuming you're not trans or summin
The NHS does do mastectomies and breast reductions but there is limited funding available. High need cases are prioritised so people with cancer or high chances of getting breast cancer can get mastectomies. Then people who have severe physical and/or mental health problems because of their breasts can get help sometimes too if there is funding, this includes men with conditions that cause breast tissue to develop. Talk to your GP and see if you have a case and can be referred to a breast surgeon. They will then talk you through options and expectations and if things can go further a panel will meet to discuss if there is enough funding for your op and if it is something that the NHS should fund.

So, technically yes the NHS do remove or reduce breasts for some patients but whether your case would be considered is only something that can be decided by your doctors. It would be worth talking to a surgeon anyway to ensure you have realistic expectations of such an operation.
Original post by Indeterminate
:lolwut:

When I'm on TSR, I often feel like I'm seeing things. I don't know what it is...

At least it hasn't gone as far as being addicted to chewing sponges yet... oh wait.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
There was that wannabe-model Josie Cunningham (how she could become a model with a face like that I'll never know but that's a separate issue..) who got a boob job on the NHS by claiming that her flat-chestedness was causing emotional distress or some such like, so I'd guess that you can get the reverse done by claiming a similar thing.

The irony of Cunningham was that she looked even more grotesque post-op, and this is coming from someone who isn't a member of the serially anti-cosmetic surgery brigade that doesn't get tired of saying, 'it looked better before.'
If your breasts are different sizes apparently you're eligible for a reduction on the NHS (throwing in my 2 cents from experience, found this out from my GP about 6 months ago).
stupid thread is stupid.

And there was me proclaiming that not enough is done for disabled students.

You must be referring to a breast reduction I doubt they would remove anyone's boobs unless they were detrimental to your wellbeing and health.
Original post by Indeterminate
In comparison to this rather disturbing thread, that actually counts as normal :erm:

Haha, touché.

But yeah holy hell, how did I miss that gem?
Reply 15
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Your boobs REMOVED? whatttt?

Original post by Little Popcorns
What the... Why do you hate them? Is it like a gender issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Black Cat
You must be referring to a breast reduction I doubt they would remove anyone's boobs unless they were detrimental to your wellbeing and health.

I haven't really explained why I want them removed. I don't know how to explain it. I don't have big boobs really, having boobs just feel wrong. It's so alien to me. It's like having this third arm, I want it to be gone as it really bothers me. Sometimes I just want to rip them out myself. I don't want boobs, I should've been born a boy. I wouldn't ever fully transition, I just want by boobs to disappear.
You clearly have bigger issues here. Have you had any form of counselling?

This is why there are cuts on the NHS. It all makes sense now, thanks for clearing that matter up.
Send them to me in the post plz? :smile:
Original post by Retired_Messiah

99.9% of boobs are good boobs though, I don't see why one would want to alter them in any way assuming you're not trans or summin

You should have given a burn warning m8.

Quick Reply

Latest