The Student Room Group

Newcastle/Sheffield/Manchester reputable enough for a TC at top law firm?

Hello guys,
this is my first thread so dont judge me if this was already discussed :biggrin:
A few days ago (18/11/15) , I applied for Law LLB at UCL, Durham, Manchster, Newcastle and Law with German law at Sheffield. Had conditional offers from Sheffield and Newcastle. Still waiting for more offers/rejections.
I am quite interested in corporate law and was wondering if there is any chance of getting a TC at a top law firm (magic/silver circle) if I study in either Sheffield or Newcastle.
Newcastle seems pretty high in law league tables (although I dont trust them) but is not the most preferred uni by students wanting to study law. Can someone share experience or tell anything about the law dept. of Newcastle and did someone here get a TC after graduating from there?
Additionally, are Sheffield and Manchester prestigious enough?
The reason why I am asking is that I am not sure how my LNAT went yersterday (although it was not bad) and dont know if UCL and Durham will offer me a place.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Reply 2
Hi, checkout Chambers students ranking on how many people from big London law firms come from certain universities. It's really useful as they used quite a large sample size to get their results

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/what-universities-do-most-trainees-come-from

As you can see Manchester actually rates really highly above places such as Warwick, Exeter and Kings. Newcastle does reasonably well but not as good whilst Sheffield is quite low. However I know a friend who is at Sheffield and has managed to get vacation schemes at MCs. So I really don't think you should rest too much interest into which unis better than which because it's really down to opinion.

You have to remember the reason oxbridge grads tend to dominate rates of getting TC is due to personal ambition and not necessarily down to the uni. For instance a Leeds grad may be just as good as one from UCL but it's more likely that UCL grads feel more confident applying to Magic circle firms. Also if your crap at interviews or have nothing particularly interesting (extra curricular) about you it's doesn't matter what university your from- you won't get the job.

Also take a look at the Times High Fliers Report. They do a really great research into which unis are most targeted by top graduate industries such as law, banking, engineering etc. I believe Manchester, Nottingham and Warwick always come up really highly (top 3 or 4) One thing i think you REALLY should consider, is that even if it seems imposible now- when you get to uni you may realise other careers are better suited to you i.e. banking, working for the UN, consultancy, advertising, journalism, Mi5 lol etc. Dont chose your uni based solely on a career that isnt guaranteed
Reply 4
Thank you so much! This is quite helpful.
Do you think that if I spent one year abroad In Germany (from uni Sheffield) it will increase my chances to get employed at a big law firm?

I totally agree with you that if one is motivated enough can achieve anything!
Original post by peachpetals
Hi, checkout Chambers students ranking on how many people from big London law firms come from certain universities. It's really useful as they used quite a large sample size to get their results

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/what-universities-do-most-trainees-come-from

As you can see Manchester actually rates really highly above places such as Warwick, Exeter and Kings. Newcastle does reasonably well but not as good whilst Sheffield is quite low. However I know a friend who is at Sheffield and has managed to get vacation schemes at MCs. So I really don't think you should rest too much interest into which unis better than which because it's really down to opinion.

You have to remember the reason oxbridge grads tend to dominate rates of getting TC is due to personal ambition and not necessarily down to the uni. For instance a Leeds grad may be just as good as one from UCL but it's more likely that UCL grads feel more confident applying to Magic circle firms. Also if your crap at interviews or have nothing particularly interesting (extra curricular) about you it's doesn't matter what university your from- you won't get the job.

Also take a look at the Times High Fliers Report. They do a really great research into which unis are most targeted by top graduate industries such as law, banking, engineering etc. I believe Manchester, Nottingham and Warwick always come up really highly (top 3 or 4) One thing i think you REALLY should consider, is that even if it seems imposible now- when you get to uni you may realise other careers are better suited to you i.e. banking, working for the UN, consultancy, advertising, journalism, Mi5 lol etc. Dont chose your uni based solely on a career that isnt guaranteed
I think studying German and learning the language looks great on the CV. However so does vacation schemes, volunteering, getting involved in committees etc. Also from my personal knowledge I'm not aware of Germany being a key area that law firms are currently targeting and setting up offices. However this could change. If I was you I would definitely keep Sheffield perhaps as insurance as the opportunity to study aboard is simply amazing (and im pretty sure Sheffield take people on even if they miss out on the grades) I know someone their doing law with French that got BBC and still got in. Ucl and Durham are more prestigious then Manchester and Newcastle. However going to Newcastle and Manchester would still certainly get you to large London law firms. My boyfriend at Manchester in his second year people already had TCs lined up at DLA piper, Clifford chance, hogan lovells.
Reply 6
Original post by peachpetals
I think studying German and learning the language looks great on the CV. However so does vacation schemes, volunteering, getting involved in committees etc. Also from my personal knowledge I'm not aware of Germany being a key area that law firms are currently targeting and setting up offices. However this could change. If I was you I would definitely keep Sheffield perhaps as insurance as the opportunity to study aboard is simply amazing (and im pretty sure Sheffield take people on even if they miss out on the grades) I know someone their doing law with French that got BBC and still got in. Ucl and Durham are more prestigious then Manchester and Newcastle. However going to Newcastle and Manchester would still certainly get you to large London law firms. My boyfriend at Manchester in his second year people already had TCs lined up at DLA piper, Clifford chance, hogan lovells.

Still waiting for Durham and UCL. My grades are perfect and enough even for Oxbridge! Sheffield is definitely my insurance but what I like about it is that the year in Germany i spend is in German law (mainly contract law). Thank for your reply :smile: much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
well im a first year at sheffield, and we are sponsored by lots of law firms, had loads of law firms come to visit us at the recent law fair, and i know a number of 3rd years with training contract offers, some with magic circle outfits. firms frequently hold presentation evenings and drinks receptions, and actively encourage sheffield students to apply. we have an exclusive norton rose fulbright open day coming up, and sheffield was the uni with the most training contracts awarded by addleshaw goddard last year. many people who are now in senior positions at law firms attended sheffield, so it has a solid rep as a top institution
Reply 8
Original post by neal95
well im a first year at sheffield, and we are sponsored by lots of law firms, had loads of law firms come to visit us at the recent law fair, and i know a number of 3rd years with training contract offers, some with magic circle outfits. firms frequently hold presentation evenings and drinks receptions, and actively encourage sheffield students to apply. we have an exclusive norton rose fulbright open day coming up, and sheffield was the uni with the most training contracts awarded by addleshaw goddard last year. many people who are now in senior positions at law firms attended sheffield, so it has a solid rep as a top institution

Thank you for the answer! Apparently, Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle (probably) have a good reputation among employers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending