The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades

My predicted grades are not what i was hoping for. I study Ancient History, English Language and Literature and Media Studies. I want to study law at York or Newcastle and i have been predicted ABB. Is there even a chance i will be considered?
Original post by GabriellaMcAree
My predicted grades are not what i was hoping for. I study Ancient History, English Language and Literature and Media Studies. I want to study law at York or Newcastle and i have been predicted ABB. Is there even a chance i will be considered?

Early application is your best chance but if you're applying this year it's too late for that. I would advise you apply somewhere else - these unis like those 'traditionally academic' subjects. Sorry!
Original post by libbylangham
Early application is your best chance but if you're applying this year it's too late for that. I would advise you apply somewhere else - these unis like those 'traditionally academic' subjects. Sorry!

I know I'm capable of more though, that's why it is really annoying. I don't even know if there is any point getting a degree from a bad university? Do they just go off your predicted grades? thanks for getting back to me.
I know I'm capable of more though, that's why it is really annoying. I don't even know if there is any point getting a degree from a bad university? Do they just go off your predicted grades? thanks for getting back to me.

If you're applying with predicted grades lower than the entry requirements, I'm afraid there is very little chance of you getting an offer, particularly for programs as competitive as law at a Russell Group uni.

From what I can tell, it wouldn't necessarily be impossible to break into the legal profession with a law degree from a "bad" university - but you'd be fighting an uphill battle from day one. Bear in mind that many city firms now filter by A Level grades (top firms are filtering out anyone who doesn't get AAB), and having a good uni brand name is a way to make your CV stand out when applying. So while there are plenty of people who will become solicitors (doubtful about barristers tbh) from less than stellar universities, getting your foot in the door at a big firm might be difficult.

Have you considered applying for English or History instead? They tend to be far less picky about your subject choice, and more lenient with grades. You could also still go into law by doing a GDL after your degree.
I initially wanted to get a history degree, but I am fixed on law. I’m not sure what would happened if I exceeded my predicted grades. I have read on here that places like York do give conditional offers that are higher than predicted grades if they like you. I am also doing two resits this year that they would hopefully take into account as in my AS exams I was consistently inconsistent as I achieved in both English and History a high A on one exam and a D on the other- which I am resisting. I'm sending my application off in the next few days and I'm just going to hope for the best, not the greatest tactic. Thanks
I initially wanted to get a history degree, but I am fixed on law. I’m not sure what would happened if I exceeded my predicted grades. I have read on here that places like York do give conditional offers that are higher than predicted grades if they like you. I am also doing two resits this year that they would hopefully take into account as in my AS exams I was consistently inconsistent as I achieved in both English and History a high A on one exam and a D on the other- which I am resisting. I'm sending my application off in the next few days and I'm just going to hope for the best, not the greatest tactic. Thanks

Have you considered Adjustment? If you exceed the grades required by your firm choice you can ring up any university participating in Adjustment (usually everyone apart from Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE) to ask if they have spaces on your chosen course. You have five days to do this after results come out and you don't lose your firm choice in the meantime,

A degree is a degree. It could even work in your favour: eg. If two people both got a first, one from a ****ty uni and one from a world class university with incredible teaching stuff, I'd be more impressed with the first.
Anyway, there are plenty of good unis other than the ones you want to go to
How likely is Adjustment going to be available at York? I read on UCAS that Adjustment will only happen if there are places left, and as a Russel Group uni York is gonna be really popular.

I'm in a similar position, I'm off the entry requirements by 3 IB points.

I was just wondering. Didn't want to get my hopes up.
Reply 8
Original post by AgnesGrey1
How likely is Adjustment going to be available at York? I read on UCAS that Adjustment will only happen if there are places left, and as a Russel Group uni York is gonna be really popular.

I'm in a similar position, I'm off the entry requirements by 3 IB points.

I was just wondering. Didn't want to get my hopes up.

No one can really tell you that, but you should remember a lot of people miss their offers and sometimes a few spaces may be emptied. Unis are usually quite eager to fill those
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RonnieRJ
No one can really tell you that, but you should remember a lot of people miss their offers and sometimes a few spaces maybe be emptied. Unis are usually quite eager to fill those

You lose nothing by applying. Even if they reject you as I suspect they might you still have 3 other options if you choose wisely. Both Liverpool and Keele are offering ABB. People who claim you need to go to a top university are wrong. Michael Mansfield QC one of the top defence lawyers attended Keele. Lord Elias lord justice of appeal attended Exeter as did his brother Gerard Elias QC who was a deputy high court judge and one of Wales foremost barristers. Others have been educated in Aberystwyth. My cousin graduated in Aberystwyth and is now working for a solicitors in Bristol. Most universities had places in adjustment/ clearing and some RG groups were offering Law last year
(edited 8 years ago)

What did you get at AS level? And also, what makes you know you're capable of more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending