The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
[QUOTE=dipsylalapo;60929781]Has anyone who is an international student received an interview offer yet?
I did on Thursday. Then I got an email from Glasgow the following day. Interview on the 15th of December.
Original post by mushroomsoup
I am not sure if I'm the only one, but I feel like Glasgow is the most "quiet" uni in its admissions process. I mean the other unis sort of keep you a bit more posted with emails of "what's next?" or annoying you with paper work for fee status like Edinburgh...but from Glasgow I've literally heard nothing from them since the confirmation email.

oh dear, I haven't heard anything from edinburgh.. what fee status emails? haha. i only got an application acknowledgement.
Original post by sunburner
oh dear, I haven't heard anything from edinburgh.. what fee status emails? haha. i only got an application acknowledgement.

Nahh don't worry, they only do it if your status is not clear, I think.
How many offers does Glasgow give out for their 228 places last year, it states pending only on TSR's Medical School Competition Ratios table. Anyone know?
Reply 344
I'm not sure but most schools give out about 3-4 times the amount of spaces. So a conservative estimate is probably about 700 interviews.
Original post by Torel
I'm not sure but most schools give out about 3-4 times the amount of spaces. So a conservative estimate is probably about 700 interviews.

I think I saw somewhere 650-700 interviews for 400 offers.
Original post by prospectivemed56
I think I saw somewhere 650-700 interviews for 400 offers.

May I ask where did you see that 400 from?
Original post by Timewilltellu
May I ask where did you see that 400 from?

http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/admissions/faqs/

We receive in the region of 2000 applications per year. We invite in the region of 600 - 700 applicants to attend for interview, with approximately 230 places available.

After interviews have taken place, interview results are processed in January-February. Medical School offers are then made to the required number of applicants (normally approx. 450) by the end of March, through UCAS.

Makes sense if you think about it - most of the candidates offered places by Glasgow would probably have applied for, and been offered places by, the other Scottish medical schools (Edinburgh, Dundee, St Andrew's, Aberdeen). So there's a big gap between offers and places.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well done with the interviews guys.

Glasgow is probably the easiest of the Scottish interviews, so just relax and I'm sure you'll all be fine

We receive in the region of 2000 applications per year. We invite in the region of 600 - 700 applicants to attend for interview, with approximately 230 places available.

After interviews have taken place, interview results are processed in January-February. Medical School offers are then made to the required number of applicants (normally approx. 450) by the end of March, through UCAS.

Makes sense if you think about it - most of the candidates offered places by Glasgow would probably have applied for, and been offered places by, the other Scottish medical schools (Edinburgh, Dundee, St Andrew's, Aberdeen). So there's a big gap between offers and places.

Thanks!
Reply 350
Do many people from the rest of the UK apply to Glasgow? I'm from the south-west of England and as far as I know I'm the only one from my school applying to Scotland :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
Well done with the interviews guys.

Glasgow is probably the easiest of the Scottish interviews, so just relax and I'm sure you'll all be fine

pfft Edinburgh has the easiest interview since you don't even need to go to one to get in
Reply 352

A high offer to interview ratio is a relief if it's true! Makes a change from Cardiff. I've had my interview and I'm certain that I won't be the 1 in 3 of the 1500 interviewed who receive an offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
Do many people from the rest of the UK apply to Glasgow? I'm from the south-west of England and as far as I know I'm the only one from my school applying to Scotland :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Competition for places at Scottish unis will be higher for English people as there is a different quota in place for Rest of UK students, so you all compete for a much smaller number of places. This discourages some English applicants since they may not be good enough to get in, so they'd rather apply for other universities which don't have as high entry requirements as Glasgow and don't further limit the number of places they have.
Original post by sunburner
me too! what time is yours? it's a bit of a squeeze for us isn't it, with dundee just a couple of days after! i wish i had much more time in between, but then again i wasn't even expecting interviews yet so i'm not complaining :smile:

It's at 14:00!! What time is your interview? I know... 😕 haha, true!
Original post by catherine7
I am the 14th also!

Woohoo!! What time is yours? Mines at 10;30
Original post by Fibsy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha same, im from London and im the only person from my school. everytime i tell someone where ive applied they say 'why do you want to go so far??' :P
Reply 357
Original post by not you
Competition for places at Scottish unis will be higher for English people as there is a different quota in place for Rest of UK students, so you all compete for a much smaller number of places. This discourages some English applicants since they may not be good enough to get in, so they'd rather apply for other universities which don't have as high entry requirements as Glasgow and don't further limit the number of places they have.

Is there a limit on Rest of UK applicants who get offers or just interviews? I'm worried about this. Any idea how fierce the competition is? How many offers:applicants? I don't want my being English to be held against me too much :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
Is there a limit on Rest of UK applicants who get offers or just interviews? I'm worried about this. Any idea how fierce the competition is? How many offers:applicants? I don't want my being English to be held against me too much :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you guys are discriminated against for interviews, only offers. It's about 57 out of 228 RUK places though, so you'll have to do quite well at interview to get a place
Reply 359
Original post by not you
I don't think you guys are discriminated against for interviews, only offers. It's about 57 out of 228 RUK places though, so you'll have to do quite well at interview to get a place

I didn't know it was that bad :frown:
Why do they accept more Scottish people? English unis don't accept more English people :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending