The Student Room Group

What is wrong with hating a religion?

If you don't like the ideology, if you don't like what it stands for, if you feel the values are completely contrary to your own, why shouldn't you hate a religion? It's perfectly reasonable. It's just the same as hating any other ideology.

I know the Democratic People's Republic of TSR is currently supporting a very misogynistic and homophobic ideology right now, by banning any criticism of it, and so I am just left to wonder how people could feel that human welfare is less important than saving ideologies (as long as the ideology is deemed a religion).

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately, too many people think that hating a religion = hating the adherents, which is not necessarily the case.
You're right, but go and read some books or something (if you're not already doing that). I get the feeling you're just wasting your time here.
nothing in principle i suppose, it's when ppl act on those views that's when it becomes bad as ppl are being targetted. it is bettter imo if you try to understand the religion first before you make assumptions :smile:
Reply 4
It's fine to hate religion. Provided it's Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikkhism, Mormonism, Quakers, Scientology, Janism, Shintoism, Rastafarianism, Meso-American voodoosim or Zoroastrianism.

Anything else is racist to hate.

:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Unkempt_One
You're right, but go and read some books or something (if you're not already doing that). I get the feeling you're just wasting your time here.

You're probably right.
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
nothing in principle i suppose, it's when ppl act on those views that's when it becomes bad as ppl are being targetted. it is bettter imo if you try to understand the religion first before you make assumptions :smile:

I used to defend a certain religion very strongly. I would always stand up for it and say it was peaceful. Then I actually put the effort in and read its fairly short main scripture.
hate a religion but don't hate its followers
unless they're actively harming people because of it
Reply 8
Original post by Evening
It's fine to hate religion. Provided it's Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikkhism, Mormonism, Quakers, Scientology, Janism, Shintoism, Rastafarianism, Meso-American voodoosim or Zoroastrianism.

Anything else is racist to hate.

:smile:

So it's racist to hate the Baha'i faith?
:wink:

Lol
Reply 9
Original post by defenestrated
hate a religion but don't hate its followers
unless they're actively harming people because of it

It's understandable why you might question the nature of someone who dedicates their life to following an ideology which you find deeply unpleasant.
Original post by KingBradly
If you don't like the ideology, if you don't like what it stands for, if you feel the values are completely contrary to your own, why shouldn't you hate a religion? It's perfectly reasonable. It's just the same as hating any other ideology.

I know the Democratic People's Republic of TSR is currently supporting a very misogynistic and homophobic ideology right now, by banning any criticism of it, and so I am just left to wonder how people could feel that human welfare is less important than saving ideologies (as long as the ideology is deemed a religion).

Nothing wrong with hating religion. It's just that when you are forced to explain why you hate it religious people tend to get upset.

E.g. criticism of Mohammed because he had sex with a 9 year old guy =paedophilia. A lot of muslims will get pissed off if you said that.
(edited 8 years ago)
I used to defend a certain religion very strongly. I would always stand up for it and say it was peaceful. Then I actually put the effort in and read its fairly short main scripture.

:smile: that is good then, bc you have based ur judgement upon your own contextual reading and facts
Reply 12
Original post by The Diplomat.
Nothing wrong with hating religion. It's just that when you are forced to explain why you hate it religious people tend to get upset.

E.g. criticism Mohammed because he had sex with a 9 year old guy =paedophilia. A lot of muslims will get pissed off if you said that.

But I'm offended by their religion, precisely because of things like the fact they idolize a man who married child brides and who ordered his army to kill a lot of people. Why is their offence more important than my own?
It's understandable why you might question the nature of someone who dedicates their life to following an ideology which you find deeply unpleasant.

Only if you find it unpleasant because of ideals that are harming people/animals and said person is carrying out these unethical acts
otherwise, it's your personal opinion and you should respect that other people have different opinions
Reply 14
Original post by defenestrated
Only if you find it unpleasant because of ideals that are harming people/animals and said person is carrying out these unethical acts
otherwise, it's your personal opinion and you should respect that other people have different opinions

Well I think some religions do have ideals that are harming people. Why "should" I respect that other people have different opinions? Why can't I challenge them?
But I'm offended by their religion, precisely because of things like the fact they idolize a man who married child brides and who ordered his army to kill a lot of people. Why is their offence more important than my own?

That's a good question and the only answer I have is bias towards religion. If you said that you are offended by islam( or any other religion) in public, you will be simply labelled as a racist. That's just the way it is and probably will be for a very long time.
Reply 16
Original post by The Diplomat.
That's a good question and the only answer I have is bias towards religion. If you said that you are offended by islam( or any other religion) in public, you will be simply labelled as a racist. That's just the way it is and probably will be for a very long time.

But that is unjust, and surely we should strive to change that.
It's a free country, hate what you what you want, eat what you want and etc.

The opinions of others are insignificant, you shouldn't allow an individual to dictate your view point on what you should and shouldn't do.

I get where you're coming from, but (as a kinda unrelated example) I don't act like all meat-eaters are inherently untrustworthy or whatever solely because they do something I believe is completely morally wrong, just as I'd want meat-eaters not to be suspicious of me because of those few militant/terrorist vegans.
Well I think some religions do have ideals that are harming people. Why "should" I respect that other people have different opinions? Why can't I challenge them?

Depending on the person and the country you are in, you'd probably get beheaded so it's best if you just keep quiet about it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending