The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zpatel97
Thank you :smile:, how long did it take for them to get back to you after the interview?

All unis work in a different way - some make offers as they go along whereas others wait until all interviews have been done.

In my case, MMU were quite quick (a week or two after my interview - I had an interview in January - Leeds were pretty fast too (2-3 weeks after interview) - UoM tend to tell everyone on the same date some time after their final interviews so I waited till end March for their decision (interview in Dec!) - Sheffield were the slowest and were messing lots of people around well into April!

Of course it could all be different this year!

Good luck :smile:
Hi Guys! I applied last year to Marjon, Birmingham City, Manchester Met and had interviews and offers from them all! I'm currently in my first year at Marjon and absolutely loving it - although the work load really is as tough as they tell you! If you want any advice or anything, please just ask!!
Original post by LucyAshton4
Hi Guys! I applied last year to Marjon, Birmingham City, Manchester Met and had interviews and offers from them all! I'm currently in my first year at Marjon and absolutely loving it - although the work load really is as tough as they tell you! If you want any advice or anything, please just ask!!

Hey Congrat I am glad you are loving Marjon.
What were your predicted grades last year, what subjects did you do, Alevels and Btec
I am a bit worried as my predicted grades fall slightly below the entry requirements. I applied yesterday to leeds beckett, bham city, manchester met, de montfort and city uni london
Hey Guys, what percentage of applicants do unis interview?
Original post by cherry16
Hey Congrat I am glad you are loving Marjon.
What were your predicted grades last year, what subjects did you do, Alevels and Btec
I am a bit worried as my predicted grades fall slightly below the entry requirements. I applied yesterday to leeds beckett, bham city, manchester met, de montfort and city uni london

I was predicted ABB at A level in English Literature and Language, Biology and Chemistry although my AS grades were BBC. I ended up getting BBB.

Don't worry about your predicted grades - a lot of unis go more by your personal statement. I know a few people on my course that got BBC and still got in! There was a lot of spaces in clearing this year so I think a lot of people got in through that too :smile:

Good luck for the rest of your application!
Original post by LucyAshton4
I was predicted ABB at A level in English Literature and Language, Biology and Chemistry although my AS grades were BBC. I ended up getting BBB.

Don't worry about your predicted grades - a lot of unis go more by your personal statement. I know a few people on my course that got BBC and still got in! There was a lot of spaces in clearing this year so I think a lot of people got in through that too :smile:

Good luck for the rest of your application!

Hi do you know how much percentage of applicants do they interview?
Original post by cherry16
Hi do you know how much percentage of applicants do they interview?

hi :smile: It's so different at every University and every year so it's impossible really to say. I think Birmingham said last year that they interview half of their applicants bur Marjon interview a lot less.. It also depends on how big the class sizes are - Birmingham said they were taking 70 whereas at Marjon we only had 52 start.
Reply 167
Hi, thought I'd join the fun. I've applied to Reading only this year, as I'm a mature student and this is the only viable option without uprooting the whole family. I'm currently doing an access to psychology, and it seems to be going well. I've returned the extra information questionnaire to Reading and am just waiting to hear if I get chosen for interview. Slightly concerned, as I do have all my eggs in the one basket. Finger crossed! Has anyone been called to interview at Reading?
Reply 168
Original post by QuiltyT
Hi, thought I'd join the fun. I've applied to Reading only this year, as I'm a mature student and this is the only viable option without uprooting the whole family. I'm currently doing an access to psychology, and it seems to be going well. I've returned the extra information questionnaire to Reading and am just waiting to hear if I get chosen for interview. Slightly concerned, as I do have all my eggs in the one basket. Finger crossed! Has anyone been called to interview at Reading?

I have also applied to Reading. I have an interview, but i sent back the questionaire a while back so i wouldn't worry. When did you send ypur questionaire back?
Reply 169
Original post by tcrj
I have also applied to Reading. I have an interview, but i sent back the questionaire a while back so i wouldn't worry. When did you send ypur questionaire back?

I only sent it back last week, so I imagine it will take a little while. How long after returning the questionnaire did you hear about the interview? Sorry to keep asking questions - it's so stressful with all the waiting!

Good luck for your interview!
Reply 170
Original post by QuiltyT
I only sent it back last week, so I imagine it will take a little while. How long after returning the questionnaire did you hear about the interview? Sorry to keep asking questions - it's so stressful with all the waiting!

Good luck for your interview!

I think it took about 2 weeks. That's alright, i can relate to the stress of waiting as well!

Good lyck as well :smile:
Reply 171
I've applied at newcastle, sheffield, UoM, mmu and leeds beckett. only heard back from mmu anybody got interviews for the rest? and if so how long did they take to give you an interview once your ucas form had been sent away?
Original post by NMccabe
I've applied at newcastle, sheffield, UoM, mmu and leeds beckett. only heard back from mmu anybody got interviews for the rest? and if so how long did they take to give you an interview once your ucas form had been sent away?

Hi,

Sheffield got back to me about 2 weeks after I sent it off, but they only offer you interviews through email and don't update UCAS so make sure you keep checking your emails. UoM got back to me within the first week of sending it off and I'm still waiting for Leeds to reply
Reply 173
Original post by tcrj
I think it took about 2 weeks. That's alright, i can relate to the stress of waiting as well!

Good lyck as well :smile:

Thank you. I was notified this morning that I have been selected for interview! Now the real nerves begin...
Hi all :smile: I have a few questions. Firstly, specifically for those currently studying SLT, which parts of the course are you enjoying the most, and which the least? What are you finding most challenging and why? Also, anyone at DMU or BCU, what are the placements like, how far afield do they go?

To everyone: how much experience would you consider to be too little? If that makes sense. And also, what sort of experience would you consider most useful for SLT? I have my own ideas on that last one after researching, but I'd still like to hear input from others.

All the best to everyone applying this year, btw!
Reply 175
Hi guys,if i'm lucky to get a interview, does anyone know what the unis look for whilst they are interviewing the applicants? Really worried that i wont get an offer from any?
And does anyone know how many applicants are on the course for certain unis like DMU/MMU/City Uni?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NMccabe

I've heard back from Newcastle and it took 3 weeks for them to get back to me
Hi all, just wondering how many of you have got interviews for MMU already? Good luck to everyone, i've seen a few people writing that they have heard back from universities but haven't actually said if it's with interview offers or not...
Original post by chuchip
Hi all :smile: I have a few questions. Firstly, specifically for those currently studying SLT, which parts of the course are you enjoying the most, and which the least? What are you finding most challenging and why? Also, anyone at DMU or BCU, what are the placements like, how far afield do they go?

To everyone: how much experience would you consider to be too little? If that makes sense. And also, what sort of experience would you consider most useful for SLT? I have my own ideas on that last one after researching, but I'd still like to hear input from others.

All the best to everyone applying this year, btw!

Hi, I am a student at MMU in my first year but for personal reasons I have suspended my studies until next year. From what I got so far, I enjoyed the phonetics the most and least enjoyed linguistics - probably because English and nouns, pronouns, semantics and such like have never been my strong point! The course is challenging on the whole because it's very full on, there's a lot of work to do so you have to just get your head down and do it I guess!

Everyone on our course had a range of experience, some with adults, some with children. Some in healthcare, schools, stroke clubs etc. But to be honest I would say that all experience along those lines (working with others) is useful. It doesn't necessarily have to be with people who have communication problems, experience within health care or having to show certain qualities is always a good thing.

Good luck!
I am first year at DMU. Happy to answer questions.

Re: placements - they could be anywhere in the East Midlands but most tend to be in/around Leicester. All of the places are driveable/public transit accessible from the campus.

Quick Reply

Latest