The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8200
Original post by CJaneH
Currently my priority is finishing the books that I said I've read in my PS... But then I'll just be making sure I have ideas for the 'warm up questions' such as 'Why Oxford?', 'Why Law?' Etc. I listened to the law podcast the other day and the tutors said that they don't particularly like it when applicants have learnt things off by heart, but those questions are meant to be a gentle introduction to the interview so make sure they won't fluster you straight away

I didn't mention any law books in my PS... just a short pdf I read online.

Is it bad that I've read no law books?

I'm not articulate argh i'm so nervous I'm going to mess up talking

Plus my head of year already kinda mentioned to me that I'm not answering practice Qs in a sensible way. How would you recommend answering any Qs they give?
Hi people :smile:

For those of you worrying about interviews, the main advice I can give is rather counter-intuitive, but it is to try not to worry about them. I know exactly how nerve-wracking it feels to be waiting to hear back about an interview invitation, and then starting to think about how you can prepare, but in all honesty you'll probably be much more relaxed if you just enjoy your stay in Oxford. By all means, go over your personal statement and think about things like why you like the course, but don't try and 'revise' or prepare answers to questions which might come up, because every interview is completely different and tutors want to see how you respond to new ideas. Also, if you happen to see any stories about particularly difficult-sounding questions which people have been asked in interviews before, don't pay attention to them: such questions would only make sense in the context of the interview they were asked in, which is why they might look tricky when someone tells you about them out of context afterwards.

I will probably post other things about interviews soon; if anyone has any particular questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I will try my best to answer, although it must be said that all interviews are unique, so the experience changes a lot from person to person.

I am a first year student of French and Philosophy at St John's :wink:
Original post by fs1
I didn't mention any law books in my PS... just a short pdf I read online.

Is it bad that I've read no law books?

I'm not articulate argh i'm so nervous I'm going to mess up talking

Plus my head of year already kinda mentioned to me that I'm not answering practice Qs in a sensible way. How would you recommend answering any Qs they give?

Of course it's not bad, if you've got an interview then you're just as good as all the other interviewees, regardless of what books you have or haven't read. If you're really really nervous I'd recommend taking some tablets or using a spray like rescue remedy just to calm yourself down on the day. I haven't had a mock interview yet, (I've got one on Tuesday) but I'm just trying to make sure that whilst my answers are relevant to Oxford and the Jurisprudence course, that they don't sound overdone or fake. Everyone wants to go to Oxford at least partly because of its reputation but you need to have a more personal answer. Btw, which college is interviewing you?
Original post by danniegee

For those of you worrying about interviews, the main advice I can give is rather counter-intuitive, but it is to try not to worry about them. I know exactly how nerve-wracking it feels to be waiting to hear back about an interview invitation, and then starting to think about how you can prepare, but in all honesty you'll probably be much more relaxed if you just enjoy your stay in Oxford. By all means, go over your personal statement and think about things like why you like the course, but don't try and 'revise' or prepare answers to questions which might come up, because every interview is completely different and tutors want to see how you respond to new ideas. Also, if you happen to see any stories about particularly difficult-sounding questions which people have been asked in interviews before, don't pay attention to them: such questions would only make sense in the context of the interview they were asked in, which is why they might look tricky when someone tells you about them out of context afterwards.

I will probably post other things about interviews soon; if anyone has any particular questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I will try my best to answer, although it must be said that all interviews are unique, so the experience changes a lot from person to person.

Thank you for this post, makes me feel a bit more at ease than before.

Hi! I have a law interview next week, and I'm wondering how intense the interviews are? Such as did all the tutors sit and stare at you when you were talking, or did the interview have a more relaxed, conversation type of feel? Thanks :smile:
Original post by CJaneH
Hi! I have a law interview next week, and I'm wondering how intense the interviews are? Such as did all the tutors sit and stare at you when you were talking, or did the interview have a more relaxed, conversation type of feel? Thanks :smile:

Hey!

So I think that the intensity of your interviews completely depends on how you approach them - it's funny, because for my French interview, for example, I had three tutors all listening closely to what I said, but because I'd gone in thinking "Ah well, just enjoy it whilst you're here", I didn't find that this put me off or made me more nervous. I actually thought it was amazing to have three incredibly intelligent people taking what I said seriously! Both interviews were conversational in the fact that they took more of a discussion format rather than an interrogation, and again, I think that it helps if you're relaxed, because this means that the tutors are able to develop a conversation with you rather than just ask you a bunch of disjointed questions. Of course, it's totally normal to feel nervous, so don't be thinking "Oh no, I don't feel relaxed, I'm going to find this hard" or anything like that - it's absolutely fine (and ordinary) to be anxious, but just try to go in thinking "Yeah, this is going to be a great academic experience!". Enjoying the interviews as an end in themselves really helped me :smile: Hope this helps :s-smilie:

Best of luck!

Extra point: in my Philosophy interview, I actually ended up asking one of the tutors "Hmm...what do you think?" - I felt silly once I'd said it, but looking back, I think it was a sign that my interview did end up feeling like more of a discussion than a Q&A session!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8206
Original post by magic_is_might
St Edmund interviewee here! but for History and Politics instead. Doesn't seem to be many Teddy Hall people on TSR...

Teddy Hall guy here! Do you know if they email out rejections as well? Interview is nine days away and waiting is starting to get stressful lol
Original post by rvw4
Teddy Hall guy here! Do you know if they email out rejections as well? Interview is nine days away and waiting is starting to get stressful lol

They reply no later than a week before interviews start so you must receive it in the next two days, if not definitely call them up
Original post by not you
They reply no later than a week before interviews start so you must receive it in the next two days, if not definitely call them up

Exactly, I would definitely call them in two days if they haven't sent anything out.
Still awaiting news from Worcester College where i'm hoping for an interview in modern languages.

Anyone received any news on the same college / course ?

Sorry about asking and I'm not completly sure those are relevant but I'll have an interview at St John's and was wondering what kind of activities were organized there last year for interviewees.
Original post by Ishmael97
Still awaiting news from Worcester College where i'm hoping for an interview in modern languages.

Call them and ask if it's a week or less before the interview.
Original post by Ishmael97

I received an invitation for Philosophy and Modern Languages from Worcester College last Friday
Original post by rêverie
Yey another Philosophy and French person!
I got my invitation for an interview on Friday too, but from Brasenose. How are you preparing for the interview? I'm quite scared for the French interview, I feel like I'll go in and forget how to form a sentence or something stupid:s-smilie:

J'ai peur aussi. I think I'll forget how to say one single sentence in French when I have my interview. My preparation is probably reading French books and practising the interview in my head, even though I don't know what they're going to ask me. And you? How are you preparing?
Anyone got interview for geography yet ??????
Original post by Caffe_sean1
Anyone got interview for geography yet ??????

Same questions~~
I saw there was geography invitation from last Thursday for some colleges, but I haven't received any response. I was allocated to Christ Church, what is your college? I am so nervous as I have to fly there from Shanghai, and flight are getting expensive every second!!!
Original post by prndl2
Same questions~~
I saw there was geography invitation from last Thursday for some colleges, but I haven't received any response. I was allocated to Christ Church, what is your college? I am so nervous as I have to fly there from Shanghai, and flight are getting expensive every second!!!

Finally another applicant flying there from Shanghai :biggrin:
Original post by hermionegrangcr
Finally another applicant flying there from Shanghai :biggrin:

WOW!! What course and college are you applying? Have you got an invitation?
Is anyone still waiting to hear back on PPE?
Original post by prndl2
WOW!! What course and college are you applying? Have you got an invitation?

Physics, but I'm relocated to Hertford from New College for the interview :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending