The Student Room Group

Do you write or type lecture notes?

Poll

Do you write or type when taking notes in class?

I still prefer the action of writing notes by hand, but lots of people take their laptops in to lectures these days and type theirs.

Which do you prefer? Why?
:cookie:

Scroll to see replies

I prefer to write notes as I retain the information a little more if I hand write them instead of mindlessly type them. I also do a lot of maths in my course, so it's a lot quicker to write the formulae and processes out my hand than it is to format it the way I want on a computer.
Laptop, my dyspraxia makes writing by hand for a few hours almost impossible
Reply 3
I write. But my handwriting is horrendous since the lecturer talks like a rabbit eating a carrot :colonhash:
Reply 4
Type. I can type much faster than I can write, digital notes can get saved straight to my Google Drive so I can view them on my phone, laptop and desktop, and I can also easily make any edits when I go over them later on.

However, for my courses right now I already knew about 70% of what they are teaching so I haven't made any lecture notes at all for about the past month - just revision notes when I am back in my room.
Write.

I'd prefer to type but currently can't afford to get a light weight long battery life laptop or Chromebook to take into uni with me. I much prefer to type as I'm a much faster type-er, it doesn't hurt my wrist and I can type and add notes onto the lecture slides and they automatically save every second on Google documents. Paper notes just get scrunched up, lost and never looked at again.
Original post by SophieSmall
Write.

I'd prefer to type but currently can't afford to get a light weight long battery life laptop or Chromebook to take into uni with me. I much prefer to type as I'm a much faster type-er, it doesn't hurt my wrist and I can type and add notes onto the lecture slides and they automatically save every second on Google documents. Paper notes just get scrunched up, lost and never looked at again.

Get a HP stream for £159 ?
Original post by claireestelle
Get a HP stream for £159 ?

I have £20 in the bank to last til mid January ...
I have £20 in the bank to last til mid January ...

I'm really sorry to hear that (not that I ever believe getting into debt is a good idea but you could probably get one on credit if you re stuck without one).
I'm really sorry to hear that (not that I ever believe getting into debt is a good idea but you could probably get one on credit if you re stuck without one).

I would never ever buy something on credit without knowing I could pay it back on time as it can just destroy lives.

I'm not really too stuck without one, I just think I'd achieve better if I had one. But I'm not willing to take that financial step until I have no choice. I'm hoping anyway my brother might get me a chromebook for Christmas (never buying HP again, cheap and work well for a while but terrible build quality)
I would never ever buy something on credit without knowing I could pay it back on time as it can just destroy lives.

I'm not really too stuck without one, I just think I'd achieve better if I had one. But I'm not willing to take that financial step until I have no choice. I'm hoping anyway my brother might get me a chromebook for Christmas (never buying HP again, cheap and work well for a while but terrible build quality)

Good standpoint to take ( i ve only used credit as otherwise our flat would have been furnitureless when we had to move but knew we d be able to pay it back).
I think you could be right on the build quality, lasted for a year but now I need a new wifi adaptor for it.
Write.

You need one of these bad boys. Numbered pages, index and a pocket at the back. They are amazing. :h:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
You need one of these bad boys. Numbered pages, index and a pocket at the back. They are amazing. :h:

I've had all different types of notebooks. I just don't like writing by hand, messy, disorganised (especially when the lectures keep switching between topics and you run out of room) and easy to lose. Same cannot be said for online notes.
Good standpoint to take ( i ve only used credit as otherwise our flat would have been furnitureless when we had to move but knew we d be able to pay it back).
I think you could be right on the build quality, lasted for a year but now I need a new wifi adaptor for it.

Yeah that's fair enough, couldn;t live without a scrap of furniture. Nor properly anyway.

Yeah. I'm writing on a HP laptop now, it's a few years old (and it wasn't cheap in my opinion, about £440) Absolutely awful build quality. You cannot access the fan to clean it out without taking apart the ENTIRE machine so it overheats like crazy, blue screens and is slow. I think I'll get another 6 months out of it tops. Which really annoys me as that works out at over £100 a year in cost for how much use I get out of it.

Honestly biggest reason below money I don't want to get a new one, scared I'll just end up with another pile of junk that I'll just have to replace quite quickly. And I can't afford insurance so I have to make sure I make the right decision with what model I choose.
Yeah that's fair enough, couldn;t live without a scrap of furniture. Nor properly anyway.

Yeah. I'm writing on a HP laptop now, it's a few years old (and it wasn't cheap in my opinion, about £440) Absolutely awful build quality. You cannot access the fan to clean it out without taking apart the ENTIRE machine so it overheats like crazy, blue screens and is slow. I think I'll get another 6 months out of it tops. Which really annoys me as that works out at over £100 a year in cost for how much use I get out of it.

Honestly biggest reason below money I don't want to get a new one, scared I'll just end up with another pile of junk that I'll just have to replace quite quickly. And I can't afford insurance so I have to make sure I make the right decision with what model I choose.

I'll take my hat off to you there for keeping with that laptop for so long , I give up on laptops at the first sign of them slowing down or overheating a bit much, haven't made a hp laptop last longer than two years , and now have a desktop so i can replace parts as I go a long rather than spending money on yet another laptop.

I see what you mean, even with reading many reviews you ll never know how long something is really built to last.
I'll take my hat off to you there for keeping with that laptop for so long , I give up on laptops at the first sign of them slowing down or overheating a bit much, haven't made a hp laptop last longer than two years , and now have a desktop so i can replace parts as I go a long rather than spending money on yet another laptop.

I see what you mean, even with reading many reviews you ll never know how long something is really built to last.

It is pretty ridiculous that they break after 2 years for you, terrible quality for money.

Not big on desktops myself just for the portability reason. Would have been a nightmare since starting uni with a desktop as I've moved 3 times (and will move again in July), and I don't have anyone to help me move so I have to reply on trains, buses and last resort taxies. Can you imagine that with a desktop! haha.

Yeah, when I do eventually get round to buying one. I won't buy without having first seen it and has a go on it in person and having also gotten advice from at least 3 different tech people I know to see what they think.
i used to take handwritten notes in lectures. but now i cba lol
It is pretty ridiculous that they break after 2 years for you, terrible quality for money.

Not big on desktops myself just for the portability reason. Would have been a nightmare since starting uni with a desktop as I've moved 3 times (and will move again in July), and I don't have anyone to help me move so I have to reply on trains, buses and last resort taxies. Can you imagine that with a desktop! haha.

Yeah, when I do eventually get round to buying one. I won't buy without having first seen it and has a go on it in person and having also gotten advice from at least 3 different tech people I know to see what they think.

Theres always getting a man with a small van but you're right, getting my desktop across from one part of the flat to the other is a challenge in itself
Reply 18
Mostly...read...the department does good printed lecture notes..
Type. Handwriting notes is way too time consuming and it's harder to edit handwritten notes.

Quick Reply

Latest