The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Scroll to see replies

When prepping for interviews how would you guys do it? Would you make a list of questions and how you would answer them, or would you give the questions to someone to ask to you first so you know what you would say in a situation like that?

I need help! I have 10 days till my interview and I don't know what to do. Anyone else have one on the 10th december for UEA?
Original post by SteveLee_123
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone thought of setting up a group in Skype to practise interview together? We can discuss about common questions being asked at interview or any current issues,and provide each other some feedback.

I'm up for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Original post by Tanishqa
I'm up for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too
Interview at exeter tomorrow. Terrified!!!!!!!
Reply 384
Hey guys. I have an interview question.
A 14 year old patient requests birth control pills from you and asks that you don't tell her parents. What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by temid
A 14 year old patient requests birth control pills from you and asks that you don't tell her parents. What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My gut instinct was that, yes you can prescribe them birth control at 14 - it is in the patient's interest to have safe sexual practice and shows that although they are young they are aware of some of the consequences of sex (i.e pregnancy). As I wasn't 100% sure however, I looked it up and this http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ask-the-expert/sexual-health/a3807/birth-control-and-parental-consent/ confirmed my instincts for the most part. Hope this clarifies it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Reply 386
Original post by temid

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as the patient has the capacity to understand all the information you give, you need to respect their wishes and keep the information confidential and prescribe them the pills. Only time you can break this confidentiality is if you believe the patient is being subjected to harm, then beneficence takes priority and you'll need to share the information with someone to deal with it.

I think :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 387
Original post by Ekno
As long as the patient has the capacity to understand all the information you give, you need to respect their wishes and keep the information confidential and prescribe them the pills. Only time you can break this confidentiality is if you believe the patient is being subjected to harm, then beneficence takes priority and you'll need to share the information with someone to deal with it.

Original post by Hopefulmedic15
My gut instinct was that, yes you can prescribe them birth control at 14 - it is in the patient's interest to have safe sexual practice and shows that although they are young they are aware of some of the consequences of sex (i.e pregnancy). As I wasn't 100% sure however, I looked it up and this http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ask-the-expert/sexual-health/a3807/birth-control-and-parental-consent/ confirmed my instincts for the most part. Hope this clarifies it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I agree and you have both been helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388
How is Trauma (as in Trauma and Orthopaedics) different from Emergency medicine?
There's only 1 other medical applicant in my school. If anyone is up for exchanging interview questions/answers with detailed reasoning - mostly ethical scenarios, some science-y questions also, please quote or PM me! My first interview is next week and I'm veeeery nervous.
Original post by Ekno
How is Trauma (as in Trauma and Orthopaedics) different from Emergency medicine?

There is some overlap. Emergency medicine sees absolutely everything that comes through the door - chest pain, fits, infections, and yes, trauma patients. For minor injuries not needing inpatient care (from cuts and grazes up to simple limb fractures needing plaster cast only), the emergency department will often see the patients independently and discharge them.

For any more serious trauma, or injuries which will require surgery to fix, the trauma surgeons (which in most hospitals is combined with general orthopaedics) get involved. Even in major trauma calls (big RTC or similar) the emergency dept team will usually lead the call, with input from anaesthetics, general surgery and T&O surgery as required. In a handful of hospitals, "trauma surgery" is an independent specialty and covers all aspects, including orthopaedics, vascular and general, but in the majority of UK hospitals, this is not the case.
Original post by Ekno

But like she isn't 18+...even then parents consult isn't included in this?
Reply 392
Original post by futureDOCTOR2k15
But like she isn't 18+...even then parents consult isn't included in this?

if the child is competent, its good practise to advise the child to include their parents however if they refuse to include them, the doctor must respect the patient's wishes. Only time parents can get involved against the child's wishes is if the child is not competent or is in danger.
Original post by Ekno
if the child is competent, its good practise to advise the child to include their parents however if they refuse to include them, the doctor must respect the patient's wishes. Only time parents can get involved against the child's wishes is if the child is not competent or is in danger.

Hmmm ok thanks.
And like those blood transfusion and Jehovah's Witness questions.
Over there if the 14 year old refuses the blood then its obligatory to get the parents involved.
But what if she is 18+ and refuses it?
Reply 394
Original post by futureDOCTOR2k15
Hmmm ok thanks.
And like those blood transfusion and Jehovah's Witness questions.
Over there if the 14 year old refuses the blood then its obligatory to get the parents involved.
But what if she is 18+ and refuses it?

again, if the patient is competent and refusing blood transfusion, you must ensure they understand all the risks of not accepting it and suggest speaking to others in their religious group about getting it. If they final verdict is still no, you must accept it.
Original post by Ekno
again, if the patient is competent and refusing blood transfusion, you must ensure they understand all the risks of not accepting it and suggest speaking to others in their religious group about getting it. If they final verdict is still no, you must accept it.

wait, so what if the child is like 9, competent but are requesting something that's not suitable for their age?
Original post by ToLiveInADream
There's only 1 other medical applicant in my school. If anyone is up for exchanging interview questions/answers with detailed reasoning - mostly ethical scenarios, some science-y questions also, please quote or PM me! My first interview is next week and I'm veeeery nervous.

I would be up for this! My interview is next week as well so I'm in the same situation
Reply 397
Original post by cookiemonster15
wait, so what if the child is like 9, competent but are requesting something that's not suitable for their age?

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/children_guidance_index.asp

these chapters explain it much better than I could
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cookiemonster15
I would be up for this! My interview is next week as well so I'm in the same situation

I'm definitely up for this too!!
Reply 399
Original post by madmed16
I'm definitely up for this too!!

count me in too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending