The Student Room Group

Product Design Vs Engineering

Hi, I'm an A Level Student studying Product Design, Graphics and Maths

I like designing products and the creative side but am also interested in the manufacture and engineering side of it.

I have found these courses but don't know much about them and the differences between them
Product Design
Industrial Design
Engineering (Aerospace, Automative, Marine, Civil, Mechanic, etc.)

also, which is the best subject (pros and cons) + which has the best job prospects/ availability

Thanks in advance:smile:
there are courses at some universities like brunel and lboro, glasgow and strathclyde etc that are Product design engineering which is two in one if you want both :smile:
Reply 2
I think you should look into the Product Design/Industrial Design route, as the Engineering subjects have a lot more maths, physics, which you might not need/be interested it. As Leeds where I did my engineering degree Product Design was part of the Mech Eng department and they had a few engineering modules in manufacturing and other stuff that are useful for them...
Reply 3
Thanks a lot
I was also wondering the difference between the product design and product design engineering courses offered by lboro and brunel unis
Reply 4
Do you prefer aesthetics or functionality? If you like both equally then I'd say go engineering as its easier to go from engineering to product design than vice versa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I prefer both equally
I was wondering what the difference between the course contents are
and how they are taught
esp. at lboro uni
Reply 6
Original post by m.al-hussain
I prefer both equally
and how they are taught
esp. at lboro uni

they do really very from each Uni...so you should check the curriculum very carefully
Reply 7

I prefer both equally
and how they are taught
esp. at lboro uni

Thanks for the tag @jneill :wink:

Hi m.al-hussain

Product Design Engineering is taught within the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering and your qualification will either be an MEng or a BEng depending on the route you choose.
This course is accredited by IMechE (Institute of Mechanical Engineers), IED (Institution of Engineering Designers) and IET (The Institute of Engineering and Technology).
You can find information on the course modules etc here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/mechman/undergraduate/courses/productdesignengineering/

Product Design and Technology is taught within the Design School and your qualification will be a BSc. This course is accredited by the IED (Institute of Engineering Designers).
You can find more information on the course modules etc here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/design/product-design-technology/

I can't recommend one over the other as it really depends on where your strengths and interests lie.
Have a read through the info on both pages I've sent you links to and hopefully it'll be a little clearer for you.
If you have any more specific questions after having a look through, I can certainly find out the answers for you.

Hope this helps :smile:
Vicky
Reply 9
Thanks
what kind of jobs does the pd engineering course lead to as compared to the product design course?

Original post by Loughborough University
Thanks for the tag @jneill :wink:

Hi m.al-hussain

Product Design Engineering is taught within the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering and your qualification will either be an MEng or a BEng depending on the route you choose.
This course is accredited by IMechE (Institute of Mechanical Engineers), IED (Institution of Engineering Designers) and IET (The Institute of Engineering and Technology).
You can find information on the course modules etc here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/mechman/undergraduate/courses/productdesignengineering/

Product Design and Technology is taught within the Design School and your qualification will be a BSc. This course is accredited by the IED (Institute of Engineering Designers).
You can find more information on the course modules etc here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/design/product-design-technology/

I can't recommend one over the other as it really depends on where your strengths and interests lie.
Have a read through the info on both pages I've sent you links to and hopefully it'll be a little clearer for you.
If you have any more specific questions after having a look through, I can certainly find out the answers for you.

Vicky
Reply 10
Thanks
what kind of jobs does the pd engineering course lead to as compared to the product design course?

Hey man,

As said before it a lot easier to transfer from engineering to design than it is the other way around. With that in mind, many engineering graduates, from disciplines like product design engineering and manufacturing allow them to go into careers like project planning, consultancy work, or finance not to mention product design roles. Some also change disciplines for example go from manufacturing to mechanical or electronic engineering, this is not unknown.

Product Design or Industrial Design degree programmes are more creative and mean that many go into more creative roles like marketing and advertising as well as furniture or consumer goods. Some can transfer to engineering roles but it is harder. My advice would be if you were going to study a Product or Industrial Design degree to go for Loughborough as their employability is very good.

Quick Reply

Latest