The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What sort of ukcat score do you guys think will be needed this year?
Original post by Jimmymac97
What sort of ukcat score do you guys think will be needed this year?

As last year they used a cut-off at 2500 and this the ukcat average is only a bit higher than last year, I would guess they will use a cut-off at 2510 / 2520...
So a score of 2770 should be okay then
Original post by Jackjones97
So a score of 2770 should be okay then

yeah you should be fine I think
Reply 24
Original post by spymatiak
As last year they used a cut-off at 2500 and this the ukcat average is only a bit higher than last year, I would guess they will use a cut-off at 2510 / 2520...

Last year was low though because it was high the year before (discouraging people with good scores from applying) so even though the average is similar to last year, more people with higher ukcat scores would probably apply here... I reckon the cut-off would be higher, maybe 2650-2700? Depends a lot on how many have applied.
Original post by nurav11
Last year was low though because it was high the year before (discouraging people with good scores from applying) so even though the average is similar to last year, more people with higher ukcat scores would probably apply here... I reckon the cut-off would be higher, maybe 2650-2700? Depends a lot on how many have applied.

Oh dear, I hope I will have a chance with my 2670...
Reply 26
Original post by spymatiak
Oh dear, I hope I will have a chance with my 2670...

Tbf I doubt many people knew about the cut off scores anyway, it's just a guess at the end of the day. Last year for BM5, they had 854 applications for 540 interview places with 292 offers made for 158 places. So if the number of applications stays roughly the same and they interview the majority of people, you should be fine with 2670. If more people apply though it could get tricky to predict.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
hi guys, I'm a first year med student at southampton so the whole application process is sill very fresh
if you have any questions about applying or what first year is like/the course, feel free
good luck to all - i remember how stressful this whole process is, but its worth it
Original post by longname
hi guys, I'm a first year med student at southampton so the whole application process is sill very fresh
if you have any questions about applying or what first year is like/the course, feel free
good luck to all - i remember how stressful this whole process is, but its worth it

Hey :smile: do you know when they usually start giving out interview offers?
Original post by janicecwchow

December - March.
Reply 30
Original post by janicecwchow

Last year they didn't go out until the 7th Jan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Just got an email from them saying they are sorting applications. Shouldnt be long until we start hearing :/
Has anyone heard about interviews??

They really like taking their time on handing out interviews dont they :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by TheKhaleesi
Has anyone heard about interviews??

They really like taking their time on handing out interviews dont they :':wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year people didn't start hearing until January. We might have a long wait...
Next Step: Interviews

How do they decide who to interview?
They take the top UKCAT scores and interview those candidates.

When will I hear?
This varies year to year, but usually between December and March. You will get 2 weeks notice so your interview will be 2 weeks or more from when you receive your invitation.

How will I hear?
This was a letter but last year some people got emails. Check both.

Someone has an interview but I haven't heard yet, what does that mean?
Nothing at all. They decide who is getting one and everyone in that lucky list will get one eventually.

How should I prepare for interview?
Read your personal statement.
Read it.
No seriously, read it.

Read the news starting now. Read BBC News Health section if you don't buy a paper regularly. Check NHS Behind the Headlines to get the real understanding.

THIS is how I prepared and is a good place to start. And then here is what happened at my interview.

Where can I practice?
Your college should offer mock interviews.
I'm also happy to do interviews over skype or IM. Drop me a PM.

What will happen on the day?
You will have 2 interviews. 1 on your own with 2 interviewers and one in a group. These can happen in either order and you'll spend the rest of your time there in your group with some current medical students relaxing and chatting.

Who are the interviewers?
These are lecturers, doctors, teachers, admissions staff. Huge variety.

What is the individual interview?
This is a 20 minute interview based loosely on your personal statement with 2 interviewers. You can be asked a range of questions depending on what you have written. Expect - Why medicine? Why here?

What is the group interview?
This is also 20 minutes but you're also given 5 minutes to prepare. You'll be given a topic for discussion and after having 5 minutes to think about it, you will discuss it as a group in front of 2 interviewers.

What questions will come up?
I've listed 2 almost universal questions above. Otherwise the rest will vary enormously from person to person depending on what they say and what is in the PS. People get asked about the history of medicine, the future of medicine, books they mentioned they read, hobbies, ethics, law. Each interview is totally unique and so there isn't any point in trying to work out what you'll be asked.

Just practice answering anything (use the link to my blog on how I prepared) because that is the best way to a) come across unrehearsed and b) be able to answer complete curve ball questions.

What happens after interviews?
You'll get a letter saying if you have been successful or unsuccessful. If this is going to take a while you may get a "further consideration" letter that says you're still in the running. This may not happen until March/April, even if others hear before you.

How do they choose?
After each task, you will be listed as "suitable" or "not suitable". This is then taken into consideration with the rest of your application before an offer is made.

How many interviews and how many offers?
457 interviews and 290 offers.

How will I get an offer?
This is an update on UCAS Track and then a letter follows.

What is the offer?
The offer is the same for everyone - AAAa. They will not be lenient (eg A*A*A*b will not be accepted).

Is it conditional or unconditional?
Last year a few people got unconditional offers but these are reserved for people with their A levels in hand and proven. Everyone else gets an unconditional offer until they get their results or prove old results.
If it is conditional and you send in your certificates, they may not update your status until August Results Day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Neostigmine
Next Step: Interviews

How do they decide who to interview?
They take the top UKCAT scores and interview those candidates.

When will I hear?
This varies year to year, but usually between December and March. You will get 2 weeks notice so your interview will be 2 weeks or more from when you receive your invitation.

How will I hear?
This was a letter but last year some people got emails. Check both.

Someone has an interview but I haven't heard yet, what does that mean?
Nothing at all. They decide who is getting one and everyone in that lucky list will get one eventually.

How should I prepare for interview?
Read your personal statement.
Read it.
No seriously, read it.

Read the news starting now. Read BBC News Health section if you don't buy a paper regularly. Check NHS Behind the Headlines to get the real understanding.

THIS is how I prepared and is a good place to start. And then here is what happened at my interview.

Where can I practice?
Your college should offer mock interviews.
I'm also happy to do interviews over skype or IM. Drop me a PM.

What will happen on the day?
You will have 2 interviews. 1 on your own with 2 interviewers and one in a group. These can happen in either order and you'll spend the rest of your time there in your group with some current medical students relaxing and chatting.

Who are the interviewers?
These are lecturers, doctors, teachers, admissions staff. Huge variety.

What is the individual interview?
This is a 20 minute interview based loosely on your personal statement with 2 interviewers. You can be asked a range of questions depending on what you have written. Expect - Why medicine? Why here?

What is the group interview?
This is also 20 minutes but you're also given 5 minutes to prepare. You'll be given a topic for discussion and after having 5 minutes to think about it, you will discuss it as a group in front of 2 interviewers.

What questions will come up?
I've listed 2 almost universal questions above. Otherwise the rest will vary enormously from person to person depending on what they say and what is in the PS. People get asked about the history of medicine, the future of medicine, books they mentioned they read, hobbies, ethics, law. Each interview is totally unique and so there isn't any point in trying to work out what you'll be asked.

Just practice answering anything (use the link to my blog on how I prepared) because that is the best way to a) come across unrehearsed and b) be able to answer complete curve ball questions.

What happens after interviews?
You'll get a letter saying if you have been successful or unsuccessful. If this is going to take a while you may get a "further consideration" letter that says you're still in the running. This may not happen until March/April, even if others hear before you.

How do they choose?
After each task, you will be listed as "suitable" or "not suitable". This is then taken into consideration with the rest of your application before an offer is made.

How will I get an offer?
This is an update on UCAS Track and then a letter follows.

What is the offer?
The offer is the same for everyone - AAAa. They will not be lenient (eg A*A*A*b will not be accepted).

Is it conditional or unconditional?
Last year a few people got unconditional offers but these are reserved for people with their A levels in hand and proven. Everyone else gets an unconditional offer until they get their results or prove old results.
If it is conditional and you send in your certificates, they may not update your status until August Results Day.

I'd love to have a mock skype interview!
Original post by Vish97
I'd love to have a mock skype interview!

No problem. Drop me a message when you get an interview and we can go from there :smile:
Original post by Neostigmine
No problem. Drop me a message when you get an interview and we can go from there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely will! Thanks :top:
Waiting on Southampton to receive an interview, is Southampton competitive? Ive got a ukcat score of 2830 with all A* predictions (Applying for BM5%)
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending