The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krollo
Corpus, Maths, UK :eek:

Excited and terrified in equal measures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my gosh I have an interview for Corpus maths too! So nervous!! :redface:
Law
Caius
Intl applicant studying in uk
Original post by Jayd Shah
i did the practical criticism exercise at interview! it's fine, i think it was on an A-Level standard?

Hey i'm from australia, havent done practical criticism as part of curriculum... got an interview in a week and a half. been looking at a few sites incl. cambridge english faculty. i have to write down the practical criticism in an exam. any tips so far as format, level of technicality?

so far as i can work out, format's pretty simple

form
metre
unusual word(s) usage
meaning

this any good or no? also, how technical should the language I use be? is it important to call an "iambic pentameter" such, or is recognising that its there and identifying it in terms of syllables and stresses sufficient? any help would be appreciated

applied at Peterhouse btw.
sorry to bother. I'm from australia and havent done practical criticisms as part of curriculum... any place i should start? interview in December, been looking at a few websites including cambridge english faculty. currently the furthest i've got in terms of structure is:

form
metre
unusual word(s)/usage
comprehension of meaning

I've got to write mine out in test form as interviewing internationally. Good structure ? or meh ? also, how far should i go with technical terms and interpretation? as far as i can work out it's more an exercise than an opportunity to exemplify interpretive ability, but any advice would be appreciated!
Original post by ChristianWalsh
sorry to bother. I'm from australia and havent done practical criticisms as part of curriculum... any place i should start? interview in December, been looking at a few websites including cambridge english faculty. currently the furthest i've got in terms of structure is:

form
metre
unusual word(s)/usage
comprehension of meaning

I've got to write mine out in test form as interviewing internationally. Good structure ? or meh ? also, how far should i go with technical terms and interpretation? as far as i can work out it's more an exercise than an opportunity to exemplify interpretive ability, but any advice would be appreciated!

Okay I did a couple of practise runs a few weeks ago.
It seems to be analysing and comparing 2 pieces of short prose or poetry without being given any context on the piece. So it's pretty much just testing your ability to analyse and use terminology without relying on context or prior knowledge about the writing.
In the practise I did I just wrote 2 long paragraphs using about 4 quotations in total with no introduction or conclusion. That seemed to be a reasonable amount to do in the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisyalltheworld
Okay I did a couple of practise runs a few weeks ago.
It seems to be analysing and comparing 2 pieces of short prose or poetry without being given any context on the piece. So it's pretty much just testing your ability to analyse and use terminology without relying on context or prior knowledge about the writing.
In the practise I did I just wrote 2 long paragraphs using about 4 quotations in total with no introduction or conclusion. That seemed to be a reasonable amount to do in the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many thanks Daisy and all the world as well.
Reply 246
Go my interview by email last week :smile:

A: Bio Natsci
B: Sidney Sussex
C: UK
Original post by ChristianWalsh
Hey i'm from australia, havent done practical criticism as part of curriculum... got an interview in a week and a half. been looking at a few sites incl. cambridge english faculty. i have to write down the practical criticism in an exam. any tips so far as format, level of technicality?

so far as i can work out, format's pretty simple

form
metre
unusual word(s) usage
meaning

this any good or no? also, how technical should the language I use be? is it important to call an "iambic pentameter" such, or is recognising that its there and identifying it in terms of syllables and stresses sufficient? any help would be appreciated

applied at Peterhouse btw.

hey, im no expert - i'm applying the same as you, but i'll give you some pointers since you've done a different syllabus! things to consider would be form, meter, tone (very tricky to argue but usually well done), diction (imagery/metaphor/personification.) practical criticism goes like this - METHOD + EFFECT, so you give the method, then suggest how it would effect a reader/what is the intended effect.
also, sure - pointing out iambic pentameter would be cool but again, you have to say what it does to the poem - does it make it disjointed, or makes it flow smoother?

hope your interview goes amazing!
Medicine, Kings, EU. 6.4 5.7 3.5A in BMAT. Wish I could do it tomorrow... Really looking forward to it!
Reply 249
A. NatSci
B. Peterhouse, Cambridge
C. International, studying in the UK (IB)

And I have an interview on 7th ;0
Hi all, I am so excited that I got interviews!

A. Program: Mathematics
B. College Applied to: St. Johns
C. International: Australia, having the interview in Australia too

I have one interview with the Maths Tutor and I was wondering if UK applicants get another interview with college tutors as well which is less about the course and more about you?
Original post by wallflowerlwy
When is ur interview?

my interview is on the 7th, in sydney!
Original post by mippinwa
Hi all, I am so excited that I got interviews!

A. Program: Mathematics
B. College Applied to: St. Johns
C. International: Australia, having the interview in Australia too

I have one interview with the Maths Tutor and I was wondering if UK applicants get another interview with college tutors as well which is less about the course and more about you?

Our son had a Sydney interview last year - it is definitely a bit harder with just the one interview which is totally subject based and not much of a discussion about you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received my invitation to the interview about 20 days ago.

Engineering
At King's Collage
I'm from Latvia

Do you know anything about the kings math/physics 2 hour exam, all the engineers, science people and ... out there?
(What purpose does it have - core knowledge testing, Olympiad style problems solving skill testing, ...?)
Original post by Wizardjz
I received my invitation to the interview about 20 days ago.

Engineering
At King's Collage
I'm from Latvia

Do you know anything about the kings math/physics 2 hour exam, all the engineers, science people and ... out there?
(What purpose does it have - core knowledge testing, Olympiad style problems solving skill testing, ...?)

Have you read this
http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subjects/engineering/maths-physics/index.html

and

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applicant-information/pre-interview-notes.html#Engineering

Specifically:
"You will also sit a Maths and Physics test lasting 2 hours and set by the College for which, again, no specific preparation is required. No past papers are available for this test you turn up and do your best. The test is designed to be taken by people from all over the world and in all different examination systems. Please do not worry about differences in syllabus."
Original post by jneill
Have you read this
http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subjects/engineering/maths-physics/index.html

and

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applicant-information/pre-interview-notes.html#Engineering

Specifically:
"You will also sit a Maths and Physics test lasting 2 hours and set by the College for which, again, no specific preparation is required. No past papers are available for this test you turn up and do your best. The test is designed to be taken by people from all over the world and in all different examination systems. Please do not worry about differences in syllabus."

Thanks, I have read these.
I was more wondering whether someone has heard something about what kind of problems will there be in the test, for example, core material problems in order to check whether the student has the need knowledge for the course or some extraordinary nonstandard/abstract problems/tasks that are there to check the problem solving skills in complex or/and nonstandard tasks.
Original post by Wizardjz
Thanks, I have read these.
I was more wondering whether someone has heard something about what kind of problems will there be in the test, for example, core material problems in order to check whether the student has the need knowledge for the course or some extraordinary nonstandard/abstract problems/tasks that are there to check the problem solving skills in complex or/and nonstandard tasks.

no specific preparation is required... you turn up and do your best :wink:
A: Maths
B: Peterhouse
C: UK

Got the invitation about 14 days ago.
Quick question, got a maths and phys test at magdalene, I can use a calc right?
Looking at the trinity test, they gave constants such as idk G and etc, so I assume working with those sorta numbers I would be allowed to?
Original post by RonnieRJ
Quick question, got a maths and phys test at magdalene, I can use a calc right?
Looking at the trinity test, they gave constants such as idk G and etc, so I assume working with those sorta numbers I would be allowed to?

I don't think so. You can't for Trinity. (Or King's or Downing, from googling)

https://share.trin.cam.ac.uk/sites/public/Tutorial/Admissions-UG/Preinterviewnotes.pdf
"You will be asked to take a mathematics test during the hour before your interview time. Some of theproblems should be easy and some hard, and we hope you will tackle as many as you can in the timeallotted. You will be expected to work out your solutions without the aid of notes, books or calculators butconditions otherwise will be as informal as we can make them. You should try to finish questions ascompletely as you are able to. More information and examples of past tests can be found on the Collegewebsite at http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/subjects/mathematics."
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending