The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Great week of football coming up

Mon: Bolton vs Brentford - 19:45
Tues: Middlesbrough vs Everton - 19:45
Wed: Saints vs Liverpool - 19:45
Thurs: Reading vs QPR - 20:00
Fri: Ipswich vs Middlesbrough - 19:45
Bury Town away in the FA Trophy. Could of got anyone, but nope, Bury Town.

Likely second round at least.
Walsall manager Dean Smith set to takeover at Brentford.
He is in the stands tonight for the game against Bolton, and Brentford have just scored an absolute belter.
A valuable point for Lennon and Bolton tonight after the day they've had.
Bit late but Chesterfield have finally sacked Dean Saunders
Original post by joddcfc
Bit late but Chesterfield have finally sacked Dean Saunders

A fair few managerial changes in the third tier, with Tony Humes exiting Colchester and Dean Smith leaving Walsall. Plenty going on.
I was at Bolton last night and it was one of the least interesting games I've been to for years. No atmosphere at either end and apart from a couple of Bees counterattacks (which usually fell apart quite quickly) the game was dull too. Both goals were alright.

Couldn't really see our penalty appeal in the first half when John Swift went down as we were right at the other end, but the Brentford forum reckons it was stone wall and the Bolton forum reckons it was a definite dive. Anyone neutral able to offer an opinion? Bit weird to dive imo as he was through but I wouldn't be surprised.

Toumani Diagouraga was our best player but he's not an attacking threat and with six first teamers not available we were never really able to assert any authority on the game. That said, Amos made three excellent saves. (And Button made two.)
Oh and we got a new boss - Dean Smith. Should probably comment on that. I'm pleased, his achievements at Walsall have been impressive and it's his third time applying for the job so he knows what he's getting himself into.

I was in the slightly weird position of arriving at the match being probably the only Brentford fan in the ground not to know as I'd been at work since half six in the morning without internet access! My stepdad told me when I found him.
Original post by Jangrafess
I was at Bolton last night and it was one of the least interesting games I've been to for years. No atmosphere at either end and apart from a couple of Bees counterattacks (which usually fell apart quite quickly) the game was dull too. Both goals were alright.

Couldn't really see our penalty appeal in the first half when John Swift went down as we were right at the other end, but the Brentford forum reckons it was stone wall and the Bolton forum reckons it was a definite dive. Anyone neutral able to offer an opinion? Bit weird to dive imo as he was through but I wouldn't be surprised.

Toumani Diagouraga was our best player but he's not an attacking threat and with six first teamers not available we were never really able to assert any authority on the game. That said, Amos made three excellent saves. (And Button made two.)

Watch it back here: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/10085489/bolton-1-1-brentford

Looked a penalty in real time, but it's a dive on the replay. Isn't helped by him looking straight at the ref, either.
I thought it was a decent game, there were like 33 attempts on goal.
That video of Gary Madine calling Neil Lennon a "Scottish prick" up there with my highlights of the season thus far.
Good old Gary :lol:

A poor match from Wednesday tonight, Outclassed all around by Stoke. Gary Hooper looks way off the mark - uninterested and unfit.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans

A poor match from Wednesday tonight, Outclassed all around by Stoke.

Same story with Hull and Middlesbrough, though the former didn't really take the game against Man City seriously with their seven changes.

Walsall beat Shrewsbury to go top of League One, while Millwall lose to Burton.
Original post by Mackay
Watch it back here: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/10085489/bolton-1-1-brentford

Looked a penalty in real time, but it's a dive on the replay. Isn't helped by him looking straight at the ref, either.

Yeah, agree with you. Strange one as if he hadn't pulled his leg back to dive it probably would have been a foul and a penalty.

Original post by Rock Fan
I thought it was a decent game, there were like 33 attempts on goal.

You can have a game with lots of shots which is poor though. The vast majority of those shots came in goalmouth scrambles where Bolton players just kept whacking it into defenders standing a yard away. The lack of any atmosphere was what really killed it though.
Original post by Jangrafess
Yeah, agree with you. Strange one as if he hadn't pulled his leg back to dive it probably would have been a foul and a penalty.

Imagine it's quite an instinctive reaction. If a part of your body is going to get hit, it's quite natural to try and fling it out of the way of any incoming contact.
Original post by Mackay
Great win for Bolton at home to Fulham after the weekend's thrashing at Derby, incidentally. Give them a full pre-season under Lennon and they have to be favourites to reach the top six you'd think.

Had to dig out this post since who'd have thought it would get any worse for Bolton.
Original post by shawn_o1
Had to dig out this post since who'd have thought it would get any worse for Bolton.

Such a shame to see what has happened to them. A takeover needs to happen - and fast. Lennon will need money if he is to keep them up, you'd imagine.
wow QPR....and you were in the premier league last season...

Quick Reply

Latest